This is a recent article on water conservation by Greg Peterson, CEO of YG2G:

OK so the title is probably a little cliché, but here goes.

I live in the desert southwest where people are beginning to see the need to conserve water. Older technologies such as greywater and rainwater harvesting are starting to be integrated to the landscapes of our homes.

When I lecture, people often say to me "Hey we don't get enough rain in the desert to warrant rainwater harvesting." To that I say "Pshaw" and share that for each inch of rain that I get on my 1000 square foot rooftop I can harvest 600 gallons of rainwater. The Urban Farm sits on a 13,000 square foot lot, doing the math...

13......1000 square foot pieces
600.....gallons of water per 1000 sq ft
7.........inches of rain

That is 56,400 gallons of water that fall on my property yearly. THAT is a lot of water. Add to that harvested greywater (water that goes down your shower, sink and washer drains) and I have a significant amount of water to grow plants. The trick is, knowing what to do with it.

It took me years to figure out that the harvesting of water did not require that I store it. In fact the least expensive way to manage harvested water is to design a system of irrigation that puts this harvested water directly in the ground here it is needed. Brad Lancaster, my friend and Rainwater Harvesting author has shared in his articles Eight Principles to Harvesting Rainwater which outline the basics of creating your own rainwater harvesting system. As an added bonus Maura Yates also shares in her article "Greywater Turned Green" some of the basics of greywater harvesting. Here are some basic water harvesting questions to ask:

1. Think for a moment, can you begin harvesting rain & greywater where you live. What ideas do you see?
2. Name 3 possibilities for water harvesting and where you might use the water.
3. Which one are you willing to try today? It could be as simple as a bucket to catch the water in your tub while it warms up.

Water harvesting can be as simple as putting out a bucket to catch rainwater, sticking a bucket in the shower to catch the water as it gets hot or throwing a hose over a tree branch for a makeshift outdoor shower. Play with these to see what works for you.

Have a great green day!

Greg Peterson