Affiliate Manager FriendlyPlanetTravel's Avatar
    Should Merchants link exchange with affiliates?
    Several affiliates have inquired as to whether we would consider placing links to their site on ours in order to mutually increase organic SEO and rankings.

I was wondering how the community feels about this as it does cause leakage.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyPlanetTravel
    Any thoughts?
    Don't do it unless you are willing to link to each and every one of your affiliates.

Many affiliates will accuse you of favoring the "bigger sites."
    Perceived favoritism [and anger over the leaks aggregated among many affiliates] could choke your affiliate program.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

This would be considered a leak..

If I was an affiliate of yours, and saw other affiliate links on your site.. why would I want to send traffic your way? So you can send them to my competition..?

I use "you" as a hypothetical example

Merchants should not link with anyone!!! And if I ever saw a Merchants link to a affiliate site I would never sign up to your program and I would tell as many affiliates as I can that you link to other affiliate sites that could steal commisions.

ABW Ambassador
    A decent merchant shouldn't have to link to affiliate sites

Rhia7,

If we did, we would do so for ANY affiliate who request it. Or, we could limit posting to any affiliate who has made a sale and requests a link back.

The only "favorites" we play are in two areas. For ABW members we offer a longer cookie and a larger "normal" commission. For volume sellers we have a MUCH higher commission schedule to compensate for their extra promotional expenses and efforts. (vs. the site that just places a banner etc)

Other affiliates don't like to see you link to any other affiliate[s].

Your commission structure in terms of your original question in this thread is irrelevant -- it's the links as perceived leaks that will annoy affiliates & potential affiliates.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Wouldn't that be a major leak on your site.

Affiliate A, drives affiliate traffic to you. The user clicks on the link of a Affiliate B's site that you have exchanged link with. Goes to the Affiliate B site. Clicks on the affiliate link there and comes to your site. Affiliate A's cookie gets overwritten.

From Googles Webmasters/Site owners Help:

...some webmasters engage in link exchange schemes and build partner pages exclusively for the sake of cross-linking, disregarding the quality of the links, the sources, and the long-term impact it will have on their sites. This is in violation of Google's webmaster guidelines and can negatively impact your site's ranking in search results. Examples of link schemes can include:

- Links intended to manipulate PageRank
    - Links to web spammers or bad neighborhoods on the web
    - Excessive reciprocal links or excessive link exchanging ("Link to me and I'll link to you.")
    - Buying or selling links that pass PageRank
    An argument could be made that these links could be somewhat relevant, but if you were to link to all of your affiliates as suggested, I'm not sure how that would be considered the least bit selective.

It's possible that you may provide some minor boost to an affiliates rankings, but you could also do major harm to yours.
    -rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by kse
    Merchants should not link with anyone!!! And if I ever saw a Merchants link to a affiliate site I would never sign up to your program and I would tell as many affiliates as I can that you link to other affiliate sites that could steal commisions.

OK - I get the consensus. Much appreciate the quick feedback.

The Friendly Planet site does not leak. A few affiliates had asked about adding their links to help them with the SE's. I always like to help affiliates when I can, but obviously, this is not the way.

ABW Ambassador
    Merchants need to be careful about the posts they make on forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    Merchants need to be careful about the posts they make on forums.

That's what I LOVE about ABW members. Quick to comment, speak their mind and guide.

Continue to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Thanks

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyPlanetTravel
    Several affiliates have inquired as to whether we would consider placing links to their site on ours in order to mutually increase organic SEO and rankings.

I was wondering how the community feels about this as it does cause leakage.

Any thoughts?
    NO. Ask those same affiliates for a straight link to your site that doesn't track and see what the reaction is. I haven't read all the replies in this thread yet, but I have to ask, why on earth would you consider this? It's the affiliate's "job" to send *you* traffic, not the other way around. SEO is a bad excuse to ask a merchant for a backlink.

And you as a merchant should be doing everything you can to *keep your traffic on your site and convert it*. Period, End of Sentence.

Bad affiliates for asking, bad merchant for thinking it's ok.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Bad affiliates for asking, bad merchant for thinking it's ok.
    loxly,

I don't think the affiliates are necessarily "bad" - I believe their intentions were to ask for the purpose of thinking our higher google ranking would help their sites and therefore help them to send us more traffic.

As for being a "bad" merchant - I thought possibly helping affiliates was being a "good" merchant - BUT , I did ask the professionals here at ABW first, for their opinions, since they are much more in tune than I am or the affiliates who have asked.

Knowledge in being a "good" affiliate manager, is why I am here. (even on my own time, like now, at 1 AM)

BTW - I did send this thread link to those affiliates that asked. Hopefully they will discover ABW, as I did, and benefit from all the knowledge here. That should help them even more.

Good Nite - time for bed

http and a telephoto
    I didn't mean to sound harsh, I apologize. I meant "bad" as in bad kitty or bad kids not as in evil.

No the affiliates that asked knew what they were asking for, I will be very surprised if they didn't. Reread what I posted above the part that unintentionally offended you. Affiliates know that their job is to send you traffic, not for you to help out their SEO. They are supposed to know how to do that themselves, it needs to be part of their skill set.

Send them to the Magic Bullet thread if they really think you should be linking to them.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I didn't mean to sound harsh, I apologize. I meant "bad" as in bad kitty or bad kids not as in evil.

No the affiliates that asked knew what they were asking for, I will be very surprised if they didn't. Reread what I posted above the part that unintentionally offended you. Affiliates know that their job is to send you traffic, not for you to help out their SEO. They are supposed to know how to do that themselves, it needs to be part of their skill set.

Send them to the Magic Bullet thread if they really think you should be linking to them.
    Loxly,

No need to apologize. I admit I am unfamilar with all the intricacies of affiliate managing/marketing, but I am quickly learning. I have talked to Haiko one on one, and have been an avid reader here at ABW.

Our affiliate program is "my baby". My boss never even heard about affiliates until I brought up the subject, so it's success is on me. (we are all old folks here)

By nature I am naive and like to help people. That is the FRIENDLY Planet way. The entire Friendly Planet staff is like one big family. (if you cut your finger - the boss will run and get you a bandaid and coo over you.) Our travelers are pampered and looked after. Even our foreign guides are part of the FPT extended family. So it is no surprise that we would consider affiliates the same way, they are human beings too, and have feelings. I will try and be a little less naive though when dealing with affiliates. I read at ABW about a lot of things a few rotten apples do, but I am not going to let a few rotten apples spoil the barrel. I will continue to ask for guidance from the good apples.

All the Best

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread