Link-Outs or iFrame?
    Hi guys,
    Can you please share your knowledge?
    Why Link-Outs or iFrame are used by affiliates? What each of them do?

Thank you.

Carl

I think it's safe to say that the use of iframes (or regular frames) is "strongly disfavored" by nearly every legitimate web publisher. Either someone is on your web site, or they are on someone else's web site; don't confuse the two.

There are situations where the use of iframes (or frames) MIGHT be an effective way to present content from another web site (when permitted by the source web site), but there are usually several alternate solutions that are better.

ABW Ambassador
    And most vendors don't allow framing (iframe or regular frame). Read the TOS first before framing.

http and a telephoto
    Framing a merchant site is against most merchant TOS, and can break the tracking. Unless the code is supplied by the merchant (like Amazon AStores) you should not be putting merchant information yourself into a frame or iframe.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

use?
    Thank you guys.
    Can you please tell me what Frames actually do? What is it used for? As that was the suggestion of one of our affiliate and I am trying to understand what their attempt could be....

http and a telephoto
    A frame keeps the framed site inside the first site. So if an affiliate wants to frame or iframe your site, they want to never actually send the shopper to you, they want to keep the shopper on their url. Your domain name wouldn't appear to the shopper.
    Deborah Carney

SEO wise I wonder how helpful iframes are... does it even count at all as a link?

Perhaps 50 iframes equal one direct, incoming link? thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by FDC
    SEO wise I wonder how helpful iframes are... does it even count at all as a link?

You can SEO a page better by using I-frames.

The SEs don't read the I-frames so you can use them to put information in your pages, that you want to be on each page in your site, but would dilute the targeted keywords on the page or be duplicate information.

I have a coupons site. I could put content about how to redeem or use coupons on every page of the site in an I-frame.

The SEs would not see this information, that is the same on every page, on the different pages.

It would only see the information about the merchant's coupons and rank the page higher.

You can also put your navigation in I-frames.

Just make sure you have a link not in an I-frame to a site map, or whatever, so the SEs can find all of the pages on your site.

I've used them before as decribed above and I did see my pages move up in search results.

http and a telephoto
    Why would you put your navigation in an iframe? You *want* your navigation spidered so the spiders get deep into your site.

Links inside iframes are NOT spidered. Any content inside an iframe is invisible to the search engines.

Please also remember that many browsers still don't handle iframes well, antispyware software can give people warnings that there are iframes on a page and that iframes, in addition to being used for good things, are part of the bad guys arsenal of tools that can cookie stuff and do other *really* bad things to people's computers, so they are not looked upon nicely by security software.

I hate that Amazon uses them for most of their custom links and Astores, but in their case, the brand is recognized enough that the content is trusted and those creatives do convert.
    Deborah Carney

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread