Major League Baseball Takes a Called Third Strike in Internet Advertising
    Hey MLB . com....

Pop unders when I click a link on your site?

For Netflix?

Srsly?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

What exactly is the issue? I'd rather have a pop under that I quickly close than the annoying flash ads on their site .

I'm not seeing any pop unders on that site. Using Firefox tho.

I see your point, Joshua, but I still wouldn't expect a site like theirs to go that route. Kind of bush league, if you'll pardon the pun
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

I see your point as well Joshua, but with all due respect, that mentality will be the death of affiliate rights - specifically accepting the lesser evil and general apathy. The demonstration by MLB to potentially derail any sales process on affiliate traffic is unacceptable, be it pop under, over or rude flash banner, as such affiliates should complain and act accordingly.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Yup - a NetFlix Pop by casalemedia . com. Definitely bush league - such a shame - seems like much of pro sports is going the "money grabbing" route. It certainly cheapens the "professional" aspect.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    I see your point as well Joshua, but with all due respect, that mentality will be the death of affiliate rights - specifically accepting the lesser evil and general apathy. The demonstration by MLB to potentially derail any sales process on affiliate traffic is unacceptable, be it pop under, over or rude flash banner, as such affiliates should complain and act accordingly.
    Haiko - I don't see popups anywhere on shop.mlb.com (where any affiliate sales traffic would go), just regularly when I'm on mlb.com seeking out baseball news, stats, etc. Then again, I don't go to shop.mlb.com on any regular frequency, so not showing a popup when I checked doesn't mean they don't ever.

Joshua,

It's casale obviously the people who go to the store ALSO go to the site - this way it looks like the store is "clean" and the site has a "harmless" pop under. Please don't assume MLB is poping a netflix ad for just a few pennies - that makes ZERO sense, right?
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Not sure what you're getting at, but all I'm saying is that a free site, monetized mainly by advertising (and not related to any affiliate traffic), has every right to popup ads.

I hadn't even considered Haiko's line of thought when I made the post, but it's a valid one.

I was getting more at the fact that businesses should be focusing on what they really sell these days. Baseball needs to focus on marketing their product (as well as cleaning it up).

I think a Netflix pop-up is untargeted, and of little value to 99% of their visitors (at the moment they are there...) Why wouldn't they focus more on selling the Extra Innings baseball TV package, or team gear, or game tickets, etc.

Just can't get my head around their thought process.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

I wonder if the relation between netflix and mlb.com is that mlb.com sells mlb tv online? This creates a connection between watching tv/video online, with all online tv and movie sites? As small of a connection that that is!

But yes, you would think that the official MLB website would have a little more to promote more directly related to baseball.

Ben
    AdFinity - CPA Network

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Classic example of a LEAKY merchant. Football Fanatics probably out-performs these guys 100 to 1 although I wouldn't know since MLB wouldn't accept me into their program. LOL

I do well with Football Fanatics BTW - (I got the last laugh - YES!)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Classic example of a LEAKY merchant.
    Once again, the pop up is NOT on shop.mlb.com (their store, with an affiliate program). They have a very good set up for the store, and there's only one link I can find that even directs away from the shop.mlb.com site and to the main mlb.com site. They have a phone number on the page, but it's so small that I had to search around the page for a minute to find it.

As for the ads being "untargeted", based on Quantcast demographic profiling, MLB.com and Netflix.com have pretty similar demographic breakouts. Netflix's target audience is well, anyone with a TV and a DVD player. MLB.com visitors most likely have a TV. Netflix has been advertising through popups for a few years now, and I'm sure they have data to back up the fact that it either directly drives sales, or increases branding to drive sales.

Please don't assume MLB is poping a netflix ad for just a few pennies - that makes ZERO sense, right?
    What are you suggesting, exactly? Casale Media is a legitimate, huge ad network, partnering with some of the largest web destinations. The Yahoo Answers link you posted (great, reliable source... the same people that brought you "How Is Babby Formed?") is incorrect in stating that there is a "casalemedia.exe" process running on a computer. A google search for "casalemedia.exe" only returns that post, and a few identical posts. Looks to me as if "casalemedia" was thrown into a template stock anti-malware explanation, when a product found a casalemedia cookie on a computer. The site that text was originally taken from (seemingly) is http://www.411-spyware.com/remove-casalemedia . The same site that tells users to uninstall "atdmt" ( http://www.411-spyware.com/remove-atdmt ) - That's the Atlas ad server, owned by Microsoft...

I'll assume that I'm correct with my original assumption that MLB.com is running popups in exchange for a few $ CPM. It's the same reason they run annoying flash banner ads on the site - money. I can't think of any sinister motive here.

Least we forget, Casale distributed the multitude of smilie, bho and driveby installer ads. But, sure I see it, same demographic a $3.00 CPM popunder, MLB made an extra $25K - a no brainer.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

No Longer Banned!
    Unhappy
    Least we forget, Casale distributed the multitude of smilie, bho and driveby installer ads. But, sure I see it, same demographic a $3.00 CPM popunder, MLB made an extra $25K - a no brainer.
    Good point H.

The pop ups and pop unders are no good for a brand and make no real money for the puchaser of such ads. So all net flix will get is a little face time with viewers and runs the risk of annoying them and running them off.

MLB.com will never make any money off the net sales that netflix makes and so a measely 25 grand is worth running off your core audience ?? I just don't see it Haiko. Are these guys really that desperate or are they just plain stupid ??

Of course I am speaking from the point of veiw that I only ever sold a few things with pop up ads and the fact that it is a bad guy tactic.

Continued Success !

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; April 9th, 2009 at 03:24 AM. Reason: spelling error
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

that pop under probably generates 100,000 a month if its a 3.00 CPM

plus advertisers who advertise on sites like mlb.com don't expect a click they expect face time. they are paying for their logo to be seen not their ad to be clicked. hence why its a pop under, most people won't notice it, until after the main browser is closed.

Affiliate marketing is not advertising ... the CPM stuff is pure advertising.

Someday the morony will figure that out ... You advertise to tell the world you exist,
    what you have to sell and the like ... As an affiliate marketer, you goal is to sell product - whatever it is you offer.

They overlap some, but they have different purposes to start with ... when I go to MLB.com I go to look up the scores, stats or read the news ... I am not interested in
    buying anything. If I go to the mlb store, more than likely I am looking to buy something.

Personally, I hate pop unders or pop ups ... and block them if at all possible.

As for the people being desparate for money ... they are. Ad agencies sell smoke and mirrors and they are always desparate for money and clients ...

MLB is a destination for information ... it is paid for by advertisers and it's share of revenue it gets from each team. If you own a team, the more revenue they get from outside sources the less you have to pay them.

I will spin banners all day long for $3.00 CPM ... to real people in the tier 1 countries.
    Who cares if they sell anything ... I am in the game to make a profit, not necessarily
    sell some other persons product or service on the come.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread