Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Voice Contest!
    Affiliate Voice is having a contest to celebrate our launch!

Contest rules are very easy. We are giving away Affiliate Voice coffee mugs. Limit of 1 mug per member. To be eligible all you have to do is join as a member or post an idea or suggestion you would like us to consider. This is your chance to request a feature or benefit. All ideas are welcomed! Contest runs today until mugs are gone.

Join here - http://affiliatevoice.com/membership.htm

Post ideas/suggestions in this thread.

There will be 25 lucky recipients.

Haiko has donated from his personal funds the monies to sponsor this contest (Thanks Haiko). None of Affiliate Voice funds will be used.

The free Affiliate Voice coffee mug Give Away is now underway.

Remember only the first 25 people to join or make a suggestion. Contest ends today.

Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; April 8th, 2009 at 01:48 PM.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Good idea. Here's my 2 cents...

While there might be more pressing issues immediately, I'd like to see a group do some work and a study on the long term viability of B2B affiliate marketing... Some thoughts I had written down:

Recognizing the key advantages of B2B affiliate marketing, including, but not limited to

* Lack of competition
    * Possibility of dealing with less toolbars/parasites
    * Larger ticket items
    * A wide open space

Determining better ways of tracking longer sales cycles

Recognizing that not all B2B marketing is expensive, must call for products

Educating affiliates on the B2B world

Encouraging large B2B publishers to participate in pay for performance advertising

Building niche B2B content/sales sites

Google AdSense and B2B websites
    Generally that kind of thing. Get more merchants and affiliates involved with "the sport", etc.

Take it for what it's worth
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

We have a winner!!

Excellent idea Kevin! I will follow up with you on this by email. I know there is amazing potential in this area.

Thanks - enjoy the coffee mug

Who else has an idea or suggestion?
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy

I just joined as a Basic Affiliate.

Comment, I am not sure why it says Membership is not tax deductible. It certainly is a business expense.

http and a telephoto
    I would love to see Affiliate Voice have an educational component. Teach people how to get started affiliate marketing, without resorting to tricks or spending a gazillion dollars for gurus ebooks.

Also education for merchants, give best practices plus practical advise for merchants on whether their site is ready for an affiliate program, how to get one started and what some realistic expectations are. Basically the steps an online retailer needs to take BEFORE joining a network or setting up a program or calling in an OPM. Then some basic How-tos on choosing a network (or not), deciding whether to hire an OPM or manage in house, that kind of basic basic stuff.

There is a place for consultants, but there is also some basic education that affiliates and merchants both are missing and although we try and educate people here, as we keep getting reminded, there isn't an easy to follow step by step place to get started.

The industry is changing and I think we also need to address the needs of affiliates that are taking the leap to be merchants.

That's enough from me for now
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

OK I'm signed up.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I'd love to see a list with member ratings of merchants and affiliates.

Affiliates can see if a merchant has good or bad scores on various levels. (Leaks, non payment, good aff manager, conversions across member sites, etc.).

Merchants can see if an affiliate is cookie stuffing, posting out of date (or non existent coupons), parasitic practices, etc.

Since this would be member only info, there is no liability for Affiliate Voice and there would be more accountability for all.

Also, a point score for affiliate managers and OPMs would be a good idea. Might put a damper on the screaming do gooders who aren't as good as they pretend.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Some very good suggestions! We are just about halfway through the mugs. Don't be shy. Contest is open to everyone, OPM's, merchants, affiliates, networks and consultants...

Make sure everyone above has sent me their address to receive their mug.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I just signed up, and there seems to be a couple of bugs in the sign-up system.

1. I wanted to pay with a credit card, but after I put in the cc info, a notice came up saying they know I have a pay pay account, why not pay with that? I did what I though got me out of paying with pay pal, and there was no further indication one way or another on the AV sign up pages. But - when I looked at the receipt sent to my email, it said "Thanks for paying with pay pal.".

This needs to be fixed so that people know which account is being used for payment, and it needs a better way to avoid using pay pay if you do not want to use pay pal.

2. In the sign-up, there was no where to put in username/password. After sign up there is a choice of going back to AV, but if you click on that, this warning comes up:

Security Warning

Although this page is encrypted, the information you have entered is to be sent over an unencrypted connection and could easily be read by a third party.

Are you sure you want to continue sending this information?
    So, if I want to go back to AV, my personal info is unsecured and may be viewed or stolen by who knows who (or is it whom)?

As to a password to log in, there is also this link: "If you have forgotten your password, please reset it." Since I do not have a password, should I click it anyway?

I'm confused.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Thanks Affiliate Hound, I believe that is a Paypal issue but I will be checking with them on it. I appreciate you telling me about it.

Cathy, I will reword the phrasing on the site. It refers to us not being a non-profit but you're right it is probably a business deduction.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

Quote Originally Posted by mellie
    Cathy, I will reword the phrasing on the site. It refers to us not being a non-profit but you're right it is probably a business deduction.
    Mellie, you may want to split off my reply as it's off topic.

I looked around and didn't see any mention of if AV is a non-profit or not, where is that listed? Also, do you plan on converting to non-profit status at some later date? That is the typical status for most industry organizations.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

What I'd like to see is some group muscle. Special offers to members in the way of discounts on computers and 'office' supplies through some vendors. Maybe a group discount on health insurance. It's something that will keep me working my day j*b even when I'm making decent affiliate money. The interesting thing is once you get enough members, there are ways to monetize those group buying relationships that could help fund the organization. But we'll talk about that at a later date.

Oh and hit those affiliate summit people for special rates on tables or booths for merchants and network members and maybe a better than public discount on affiliate passes.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

You have a typo on the Board of Directors page: "to achieve it's mission" should be "to achieve its mission"

Thanks Knight, I will address your question on our structure in a separate post.

I love your suggestion about discounts, I will be working on that. If you have specific vendors you'd like to see shoot me an email or pm.

A health insurance offering is something that is on our list of "wants". It is something that I think many members could benefit from. Takes a little more time to implement but we will be looking into it.

Both great ideas! Be sure to send me your address so we can send you your Affiliate Voice mug!
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Mellie, you may want to split off my reply as it's off topic.

I looked around and didn't see any mention of if AV is a non-profit or not, where is that listed? Also, do you plan on converting to non-profit status at some later date? That is the typical status for most industry organizations.
    Thanks for the question Knight. Currently Affiliate Voice is a LLC. This was done to make it easier to organize and get rolling. As we progress we will evaluate restructuring as a non-profit but for now it is a for-profit organization. There are additional filings to be a non-profit and more expenses associated with it. There are also some limitations and requirements in order to maintain a non profit status. The re-evaluation of our structure will be an ongoing thing, I really can't put any kind of time line on making the change.

Affiliate Voice LLC is registered to me and I am committed to making this work for the industry and all it's members.

If you have other questions on this I'll have someone split it off for me.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

http and a telephoto
    I can't wait to get my mug It will sit next to my ABW mug, they will have to alternate days I guess I'm excited to be a member of this organization and hope we all stand up and use our voices to encourage and continue to bring ideas and solutions to Mellie and the board.

The nicest thing about the mug is that Mellie will bring it to me and we get to spend an afternoon together
    Deborah Carney

Deb, I am sure you must drink enough coffee in one day to use both every day. I know I do lol. Wouldn't be a desk without a cup of coffee!
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I would love to see a AV site section for posting bad merchant practices, such as reducing return time to 5 hours as a merchant just did, or drastically reducing commissions or even changing them to 0% as has been done not so long ago, with an email notification system to members, so that an active, motivated membership will respond by immediately sending hundreds, maybe thousands, of either protests or expire notices to the offending merchant.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by mellie
    Deb, I am sure you must drink enough coffee in one day to use both every day. I know I do lol. Wouldn't be a desk without a cup of coffee!
    Well, I do have two separate areas of the house where I spend time now, so yes! A cup on each work table...
    Deborah Carney

Finally! Actually I've been away all week - and try to not do too much "business" while at our beach place. (But I have been following these threads.)

Soooo, I'm back home and just joined. But had a couple of problems. With that in mind, here are my suggestions - because a more fluid sign-up/payment process may attract more members. If it wasn't you I would NOT have signed up through PayPal. I usually use PP only for personal stuff - I don't track it for business expenses because if I don't use my business CC I have to keep track manually - and I HATE paperwork. (My business cc automatically gets picked up by QuickBooks online).

Here is the first "negative" I got when I tried to use a CC: "The card you entered cannot be used for this payment. Please enter a different credit or debit card number." That was the card I use for all of my business expenses. So, I proceeded to use the PayPal option - because within PayPal I can "change" the payment method from existing balance to a credit card. Weeellllll, the PayPal routine would not let me do that for this purchase. I was being "forced" to use either my PayPal balance or an eCheck.

And - when I was sent back to the A/V site all I got was a Thank You. That is is cool and I appreciate that, but I was looking for a way in which to enter my "real" information. I am now signed up as my personal identity and not as my business - which is now a corporation and no longer "me as a person."

But I am signed up (would like to change my info eventually) and just thought I would share my view of the "process." If I didn't know you and the directors personally, I likely would have bailed.

With that out of the way, CONGRATULATIONS on the start of something great!
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Thanks for joining Bill, proud to have you as a member.
    We are working on a new design but until that is live I added a note to the thank you page indicating how you can update or submit new contact email. Your welcome email also contains info on how to change any of your information; you should receive that shortly.

I am looking into alternative methods to accept credit cards, Paypal is not ideal when it comes to credit cards.

Thanks again for your support!
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

Thanks to AV for the great mug. It was waiting on me when we go back from a 4 day road trip. It's very nice and probably the best in my collection now.

Got my Affiliate Voice mug, too. Very classy - it's already been put to good use. :-)

Thank you! I will use it proudly.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I love my mug too. It is very high quality.

I have to say though, that is not the reason I joined Affiliate Voice. I believe that Mellie has done an exceptional job keeping us aware of state tax issues that affect our business. IMO, every affiliate, network, merchant, and OPM should consider supporting the groups efforts by joining AV.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyM

I believe that Mellie has done an exceptional job keeping us aware of state tax issues that affect our business. IMO, every affiliate, network, merchant, and OPM should consider supporting the groups efforts by joining AV.
    Well said Cathy - I agree 100%!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast