How Many California Publishers (Affiliates)?
    I received a call today from a legislative aide who's trying to quantify the number of people and businesses which would be affected by AB 178. What he'd like is a specific number, from a specific source, rather than the very vague estimates of "tens of thousands" or "hundreds of thousands."

My immediate thought was, "Call Commission Junction or the Google Affiliate Network." Surely they know how many Californians participate in one or more of their merchants' programs, and they also know how much income is earned by all California publishers combined. Of course, we don't yet know what percentage of that income might be lost if California enacts AB178 (nor how much income tax might be lost).

Unfortunately, none of the networks have stepped up to the plate with numbers (for many very legitimate reasons).

If Amazon intends to terminate its relationship with California affiliates if AB178 passes (as it's told some smaller states), then Amazon could be very specific, if it were willing to identify the number of affiliates and/or the aggregate amount earned by all California affiliates in 2008.

It's going to be very hard to turn legislators around without any hard data.
    Last edited by markwelch; April 9th, 2009 at 06:32 PM.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    One would think that the networks would recognize their own potential loss of income, and would be willing to do whatever is necessary to protect their own interests, let alone do what is needed for the good of the industry and the protection of its future.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Mark,

Registered we have 25,000 who list their State as CA or California.

Activity ratios are similar to that of a program, so consider that as well... i.e., usually anywhere from 10-20%
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Thanks, Brian, for sharing that information so quickly. I've passed it along.

Linkshare also referred to "tens of thousands of online advertising, affiliate publisher partners in California" in their letter to the assembly members.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    A basic problem, though, is if CJ says x-thousand affiliates, LS y-thousand, SAS z-thousand, etc., there is no way of knowing how many are the same affiliates in several networks, or are actually different people/companies.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I agree. I didn't mean to imply that you add the numbers together. The Linkshare numbers are just another data point to confirm the shareasale numbers. I would think that many (most) affiliates are on all major networks.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyM
    I agree. I didn't mean to imply that you add the numbers together. The Linkshare numbers are just another data point to confirm the shareasale numbers. I would think that many (most) affiliates are on all major networks.
    But the people voting on this don't have know that. They've already demonstrated they have no understanding of our business.

9. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread