Facebook Reaches 200 Million

Facebook and other social networking sites are providing opportunities for brand marketers to get feedback from users—and even sometimes engage in direct conversations. Source
    So, let me ask what may just be the obvious ...

With companies forming their own fan pages like Surlatable (just a random example) and emailing their customers the following to recuit and build awareness of the fan page ...

How long will it be before the consumer goes directly to the facebook page for interactivity, coupons deals and links to products?

With an audience of 200 Million, the consumer will very soon realize and more importantly LEARN that they can go direct to the merchant fan page for links, reviews, and coupons and this proposition may just hurt the affiliate model ... Right?? I ask because it appears that many affiliates are ridding a wave that might be the tsunami for their own business if they don't value add and adapt.

Or am I wrong? Should affiliates put up facebook fan pages, add facebook connect interactivity to their sites or communities and sell, sell, sell?

The quoted article said
    ...if Facebook were a country, it would be the fifth-largest in the world after China, India, the US and Indonesia.
    Yeah sure we all want to be citizens, but I don't think any of us want to pick up cans to make a living RIGHT? How is this not all just setting up FB to become the largest super affiliate?

Now, I may just be totally off base ... so please, help me understand.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

As you know I can't stand Facebook but I have to be there. Each one of my sites has its own fan page just for interactivity with possible consumers. I have not 100% mastered this yet but I see the need to be there. Would I ever buy something from a Branded company there or go there looking for coupons that would be a big NO.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Just have to add that the way I am using Facebook is to drive people to my email newsletter list where I will own them forever, long after the fad of facebook goes away.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Vinny, you put a link on your fan page to a X site, which sells Y's product, Y sends their customers emails to join their facebook group (like the sur la table example) ... the customer is now joined to Y merchant directly and gets the news and deals directly ... that doesn't put a kink in the aff equation?

Do you know all the changes FB is making to facilitate the merchant fan pages? the March update was for the new group set up with tabs, soon contests will be released ... it continues.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Facebook goes away? 200Million - How long will that take?

You don't own them forever, they can opt out AND it's facebook that owns them forever because they are now connected socially with the multiple aspects, social, visual, and economic influences / ties.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

I see the kink you are referring to for affiliates, That is the thing you have to add value to your newsletter and keep them as a customer. I see where you are heading here and I agree that it could be a lot of trouble for affiliates, that is if it comes down the way your example explains.

There going to have the same issues that Utube is having with $$$$ problems ... sooner or later ...

Thats why theres a move to go Public to raise $$$$$$ i believe ..
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

Magi,

If they go affiliate route, they don't need to raise a dime, and will have more $$ than needed.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

True. Facebook could turn a hefty profit by becoming the premiere super affiliate of the web. And they will figure it out even if they have not already. Its becoming a virtual mall. All your friends are there. Why not stay, shop, chat, review,shop, and post vids of you and your bff dancing semi clothed for all the world to see.
    It is inevitable . (the affiliate part)

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I still don't see the smarts behind creating a "page" on FB when I can create the same "page" on my OWN domain and not lead my visitors to FB, but keep them on MY site.

I can see the branding value for a merchant, just don't get the idea of using FB instead of building our own and keeping our traffic "in house."
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I still don't see the smarts behind creating a "page" on FB when I can create the same "page" on my OWN domain and not lead my visitors to FB, but keep them on MY site.

I can see the branding value for a merchant, just don't get the idea of using FB instead of building our own and keeping our traffic "in house."
    You don't send people to facebook. People find you on facebook and your site page sends them to your site and your content. You will not see links from my sites TO facebook. You will see links on my FACEBOOK back to my sites.

Facebook is setting themselves up to replace newsletter providers. You can send your fan page members emails that you can't send through your profile to your friends. But what people don't realize is that by using Facebook as their "mailing list" they don't have the contact info for those people the way they do if they have their own list on their own site.

Facebook is a hub, it's someplace people hang out and find others with like interests. Once I'm found, I want the folks that care about what I have to offer to come back to my site.

Personally, I have never clicked an ad on Facebook. I hate the apps and don't add them. I stopped joining groups because of the spam. It may have 200 million users, but they may not be using the service the way FB owners want them to. Right now they sell ads, I don't see them being an affiliate themselves.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

2006 myspace
    2007 second life
    2008 facebook
    2009 ?

Just saying,

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    2006 myspace
    2007 second life
    2008 facebook
    2009 ?

Just saying,
    Twitter?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread