Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    (2009)Has anybody worked with Trend Revenue
    I got a call from a guy who said works for Trend Revenue. He wanted to send me some info about their affiliate program. Checked their web site. Not sure I fully understand their business model. They looked like a cross between a network and a merchant.

Has anybody worked with them. Are they legit.
    Last edited by sam_park; April 10th, 2009 at 12:17 PM.

I think he's been making a lot of calls No idea what they do really. Everything on their site and materials is ultra-vague.

ABW Ambassador
    They spammed me with an offer for an ink merchant. They are dead to me. Why would anyone think spamming is a good first impression?

As for your question, spamming makes them non-legit to me. It shows a complete lack of understanding of affiliates. You can send me an intro email and ask me questions or comment on my site, but this was just - HERE IS THIS OFFER!

They had my full name and email address, so someone is selling my info... yay!

Chet

I just got a call from them. The guy who called said one of their founders had worked with me before. I asked who. He said he didn't know, that there were several people who formed the company and he didn't know who they were or who claimed to have worked with me. Then he started asking about my site. NOT INTERESTED!

Just checked their site and it's hidden behind DomainsByProxy.com and I don't see any names on their site. Can't find anything anywhere about them.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

They contacte me today as well asking me to sign up!!!

Hey all,

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but having just posted a new program announcement for TrendRevenue yesterday, I thought it best to come in and address these issues.

First, the question of what TrendRevenue is or does. TrendRevenue is a network without merchants.

We've negotiated white label fulfillment deals and in order to give affiliates the ability to sell name brand products without passing off the customer. The affiliate builds their own brand. We handle order processing, fulfillment and customer service and the affiliate handles the marketing, branding, etc - no leaks, no expired cookies, no nonsense.

The first programs offered are pet supplies and printer ink. Commission checks are sent weekly, data feeds are free and we have an automated website builder (also free). There's much more information in my post on the new program announcements board.

Now for the tougher question of the emails and phone calls.

I had consulted with TrendRevenue back before the misguided recruiting. At the time development was taking longer than expected, the launch window was getting pushed further and further out and funding was running thin. Frankly the company had gotten a little desperate. That's around when I left.

Michael, as far as what the guy said on the phone, I can only assume the real answer is that you were on a call list cobbled together from whois records, bought lists of known affiliates, etc.

The emails and calls were a scramble play, a hail Mary, a mistake the company acknowledges and won't be making again.

On a very positive note, TrendRevenue was recently acquired and reformed as a new company. With the acquisition the company has been retooled, revamped and refreshed. I've been brought back on board and the past, misguided recruiting efforts, have been done away with.

The company is now actively engaged in ethical recruiting efforts like advertising here on ABW. It's a good program and we want to get the word out, but we want to do it in a positive manner, respectful of the affiliate community.

We recently had a summit in Santa Monica (headquarters) where I got to meet the new CEO and other key players. All in all, the weekend was very refreshing, with more talk of integrity and transparency than dollars and cents.

It's a good company and I hope you'll all give it a chance, despite some misguided recruiting in the past.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

ABW Ambassador
    Heard this story one million times too many....

Why would you pick a company and name that has already burned bridges to relaunch under? What positive equity was built in that name?

Still domains by proxy, still desperate. Still no thank you.

"Why would you pick a company and name that has already burned bridges to relaunch under?"

Chet, it's not my call, but I don't think some misguided recruiting for a couple weeks in April has burned so many bridges that the company can't go forward as a strong and positive player in the industry. I don't want to downplay it, but I also don't think it should be blown so far out of proportion.
    Eathan Mertz

ABW Ambassador
    They spammed me with a misleading offering. They contacted others with misleading info on their relationship.

Your answer is, that isn't that isn't so bad - why because it could have been worse. Give me a break. Checking my spam filters now, I see they actually did it twice, not just once. I am blowing it out of proportion?

GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK.

Affiliates need to stop being the doormat for idiots and worse. I am sick of this crap. This network/merchant acted horribly, they acted dishonestly and instead of an honest apology, they accuse the affiliates making too big of an issue out of it? We should apologize? We should accept this behavior as normal? As sound business? As a friendly hello?

Our not accepting it is not the networks problem but ours?

This is called battered wives syndrome. This is disgustingly how little most merchants and networks treat affiliates. Your bad behavior is our fault, not yours. We should ignore it. We should think it doesn't speak anything about the company, it is all our fault.

GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK ETHAN.

To hell with the weekend you had with the CEO. He should have spent that time writing personal letters of apology to people. To apologizing here. To treating the affiliates like business partners not dogs you kick you around and expect to come back.

Affiliates, you deserve to be treated better than this. If this is how they treat you on hello, how are they going to treat you later?

ABW Ambassador
    Also ethan, the agreement is still with Trend Revenue, LLC, the same as before. But they reformed? Sorry I can't find them in a California LLC search.

And they want my information, but their privacy policy is coming soon? Their about page doesn't say who they are and they use domain by proxy and a mailbox rental address as their address?

Wow, they have nothing to hide. Real honest arrows. But they reformed as a new company, just with everything the same as the old but we can't know because we aren't allowed to know anything about the spammer who bought affiliate information to spam to have people give them their personal information!?!?

COOL FREAKING BEANS!!!!

Affiliates, demand better.

Chet, I think you were blowing it out of proportion only when implying that the company should've dropped the name and essentially swept it under the rug.

I don't however, think your complaints aren't justified. I revived this thread because I believed the complaints were valid and wanted to address them.

To my knowledge the company sent a couple thousand emails and made a hundred or so phone calls, not many by web standards, but the line was crossed for sure and an acknowledgement needed to be made. That's why I posted here, to acknowledge and to apologize.

The previously crossed line is now very firmly etched, and will not be crossed again. If I believed otherwise, I wouldn't be here. I've been burned by enough networks to be a little gun shy.
    Eathan Mertz

So how about the anonymity? That's a pretty valid concern as well. Why are they hiding behind domains by proxy, claim to be an LLC but can't be found, pretend to have a business address when it's really just a mailbox, and not identify themselves on their web site?

FYI, here is a picture their address:

I don't think I work with ANY merchants who do any ONE of those things.

It just sounds so fly-by-night.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Hi Michael,

That's part of the reason for my post. All of the ambiguity is being cleaned up, but in the mean time I wanted to at least give you a known entity to identify with the company.

Mailbox rental isn't all that uncommon among web startups where most of the team is working remotely, but that's going away very soon. Part of the meeting in Santa Monica was to discuss offices; location, square footage requirements, number of staff on hand, etc. That was two weeks ago and things take time. That said, the phones are staffed, emails answered and commission checks sent, there's just not a lobby for you stop in and say hello.

You're welcome to stop by my store and warehouse here in Oregon though. I'm there from 9-5, Monday through Friday. I'd love to show you around. You'd be surprised at the number of times I end up talking affiliate marketing and SEO while standing in the showroom.

Black Cat Mining is still my main business, and I would never do anything to jeopardize the good will I've built there. If I didn't believe that TrendRevenue was on the straight and narrow, I would not have posted.
    Eathan Mertz

ABW Ambassador
    Ethan, they don't even have a privacy statement. I don't care about your store, this isn't about you, it is about them. You chose to insert yourself.

Also why is everything the same as it was before if they are a new company? Did they actually change legal entities? Can you please link to the two business entities involved? Do they share the same address and same officers?

Eathan, I agree with the other folks here: Trend Revenue is still not "ready" (no privacy policy, no identification of the legal entity, no names of company principals, no address, no contact info of any kind on the web site). Their "terms and conditions" don't describe the actual business relationships, services, or payment terms, but do contain an "entire agreement" clause.

I certainly recognize that "Trend Revenue" was a smart choice for a company name, last year. But I agree that this company name is "burned" and these folks need to start over, from scratch.

> "Black Cat Mining is still my main business, and I would never do anything to jeopardize the good will I've built there. If I didn't believe that TrendRevenue was on the straight and narrow, I would not have posted." <
    I think you've made a mistake. You should definitely have waited until the company was "ready" before posting here. (If only I had a nickel for every time I'd posted something without fully thinking it through....)

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    On a very positive note, TrendRevenue was recently acquired and reformed as a new company. With the acquisition the company has been retooled, revamped and refreshed. I've been brought back on board and the past, misguided recruiting efforts, have been done away with.
    Ethan, were you able to find the two entities involved in this deal?

Thanks

Mark, you may be right. I may have posted too soon, but I've seen the ABW community forgive in the past, and I believe even burned bridges can be repaired with hard work and patience. I hope that's the case here. Most of what has been brought up in this thread has been addressed, and we continue to make updates.

TrendRevenue, LLC is a Delaware Corporation headquartered in Santa Monica, CA. The company is signing a lease on some new offices in the next few weeks, but our interim address is:

TrendRevenue, LLC
    1431 Ocean Ave, Suite 201
    Santa Monica, CA 90401
    (Michael, feel free to post a picture)

Domains by proxy has been removed.

Corporate bios will soon be posted on the website, but here are a few of the people involved:

CEO/President
    Michael J. Dobson

Chief Financial Officer
    Erin Hand

VP of Affiliate Marketing
    Eathan Mertz
    (541) 912-4123
    eathan (at) trendrevenue.com

Vp of Technology
    Steve Smythe

Legal Counsel
    Law Office of Bradley N. Etter, APC
    242 Main Street, Suite 103
    Tustin, CA 92780
    (714) 544-5086

I hope the efforts of the past few days have made some major strides towards transparency, and I hope you'll all give us a chance to be a positive player in the industry.
    Eathan Mertz

ABW Ambassador
    Ethan what was the name of the other entity? You said it was reformed as a new company, do you mean an actual new legal entity or was that just a play with words?

And did legal counsel write your important privacy statement or was cribbing from value click's deemed good enough?
    Last edited by chetf; June 24th, 2009 at 02:35 AM.

Well, I guess "All of the ambiguity is being cleaned up" then? Does that include making mistakes of matters of principle too? Oh and why would anyone want to deal with an organization that almost runs out of money BEFORE it launches?

Quote Originally Posted by PubDirLtd
    Well, I guess "All of the ambiguity is being cleaned up" then? Does that include making mistakes of matters of principle too? Oh and why would anyone want to deal with an organization that almost runs out of money BEFORE it launches?
    Yes, I believe the ambiguity is being/has been cleaned up. TrendRevenue, Inc, a Nevada start-up with big aspirations had a bit of a stumble before selling, and transferring controlling interest.

Trend Revenue, LLC a Delaware corp with offices at 530 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 305, Santa Monica, California 90401 (new and permanent address) is the new company, with a new CEO, new board, new officers, etc.

As far as mistakes of principle, if you've been lucky enough to have only worked with people online with moral compasses pointing strictly true North, then you are very lucky indeed. Organizations are run by people, and people are fallible.

That's no excuse, but it's entirely true. I think in the landscape of affiliate marketing today, Trend Revenue and the TR Team is doing far more to raise and set that bar than to lower it.

Lastly, your comment on dealing with an organization that almost runs out of money before launch seems naive. I mean no insult, but most start ups struggle before they turn the corner. Look at Amazon, a company that hemorrhaged money for years to achieve economies of scale none of us could touch. It took mountains of capital to eventually slow the burn rate and make Amazon one of the dominant players today. Should we not deal with them because it was touch and go for a while?

The important part is commission checks continue to go out every week. That was true in the tight times, true in the transition between companies and management, true today and will remain true in the future.

Trend Revenue is extremely affiliate friendly, and offers many benefits unique to our network, and I hope we get a chance to prove it.

If anyone has any questions, or would like a personal tour, please feel free to give me a call: 541-912-4123
    Eathan Mertz

ABW Ambassador
    Now that I have all the details of Trend Revenue, let me lodge a formal complaint about TrendRevenue violating the do-not-call-list and having made unsolicited calls.

I know I'M going to bashed for making this comment, but I find it paradoxical that you all are so unforgiving of past mistakes made by this affiliate network, but are fervrently in favor of giving affiliates who made mistakes and had their ADsemse accounts banned a second chance. Most of those affiliates lost their Adsense making dumb newbie mistakes -- just like the guys running this network did when they were newbies. Go read some of the posts in the GAN ears discussing google forcing affiliates to have an Adsense account to get paid by GAN. I think the forgiveness rules are not consistent in these situations.

I do NOT agree with google's decision or approach. I am not a participant in any Adsense, GAN or Trend program. I'm just pointing out a discrepancy in the application of forgiveness for mistakes in judgement.

ABW Ambassador
    I just received a call from Trend Revenue. Looks like they still are doing the cold calls and still have the same desperation, they are still the same old company.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    This is sounding a bit like shopster, right? But the only two niches currently are pet supplies and ink supplies? I guess if there were a niche that I could build content around I would consider it. Am wondering how AdWords would treat such a site? As an affiliate or a merchant? I would like to give them a second chance if transparency (and ethics) are built in. But if they are going to keep cold calling (as of yesterday), that will be tough to do.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Outsourced Program Manager tmartini's Avatar
    Yep they must be making the rounds again. I got a call from them this morning.

-- Todd
    Todd Martini
    Digital Marketing Manager
    Jones Soda Co.
    Follow Me on Twitter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast