Meet The Affiliate Voice Board of Directors
    Even though we've all been around, thought it would be nice to officially introduce your Affiliate Voice Board of Directors. I'll go first.

As you may know, I live in NY with my husband and 2 children ages 9 and 11. Up until last year I relied heavily on my online business income. I have been very active in affiliate marketing for about five years or so, before that you could say I dabbled in it. I have almost always been an entrepreneur and have been self employed for many years ( I am too old to give an exact number). I am one of those online marketers who must work from home for many reasons. When NY enacted legislation establishing new guidelines for what defines a nexus my business was hit hard.

What struck me most last year was the unpreparedness of the industry and after effects. All at once I saw that there were many issues that we need to address. Issues that had always been there, issues that I previously thought about but never realized how critical it was to address them. WE need to take control of OUR industry. We need to work together; we need to understand one another. We need to fix not only what is broken but to strengthen things before they break.

As Kevin and I organized the Albany meeting we faced many challenges. Once we got rolling though I realized how strong our industry could be. We had support from many facets of the industry and that was one of our strengths. We proved in Albany that we all could work together to effect change. Albany was affiliates, merchants, OPM’s a network and ABW working together. We set a goal, identified the problem, identified solutions and then implemented them. The industry reached out to us again when Shawn and Missy allowed us to pull together a panel discussion at Affiliate Summit. That panel discussion was another pivotal point because it showed we can move the industry forward.

After Albany and Summit I continued advocacy work. I did it here at ABW and privately. In January I realized I not only wanted to take it to the next level but that I had to. I do not see that there is really any other choice.

That’s how I came to be involved in Affiliate Voice. We are going to make a difference and we are going to build a stronger, better industry.
    Last edited by mellie; April 10th, 2009 at 04:14 PM.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I also live in New York with my husband and a very spoiled Labradoodle. We live in a rural area and my days are pretty quiet. For example the most interesting thing that happened to me today was rescuing a ladybug from one of the toilet bowls. So I'm quite excited to be serving on the board of Affiliate Voice which promises to bring a lot of interesting experiences into my life.

Ten years ago I created my first content web site. I enjoyed it so much I created another one. And then I heard about affiliate marketing and I put some product links on my sites. I had a full-time job I enjoyed but I also liked the creative outlet of making web sites, along with the additional income they generated. When we moved here five years ago I was unable to find a good job so I decided to become a full-time affiliate. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Last year when Mellie and Kevin put out the call for affiliates to participate in a group to work on the affiliate tax solution I offered to help. That was a very empowering and productive experience and I met some really terrific people in the industry. So when Mellie asked me to help her run Affiliate Voice I felt comfortable saying yes. Mellie is a great leader. She's nice, smart, ethical, funny and very brave.

I will do my best to represent the best interests of the industry, but as the affiliate representative of the Affiliate Voice board, it's my primary responsibility to speak for the interests and needs of affiliates. I believe in Affiliate Voice and I hope you will, too.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Howdy, it's an honor and a pleasure to be working with the folks on Affiliate Voice to help advance the needs of the industry as a whole. I was asked to sit on this board to provide a point-of-view from the network aspect and I hope to do that to the best of my ability. I have been a part of the industry for almost ten years, as an affiliate, a manager, and now with a network, and I consider myself fortunate to have seen affiliate marketing grow and evolve.

My personal reason for joining this board is because I have always wanted to see more quality-of-life benefits for affiliates: some form of health care, continuing education opportunities, preferred pricing, etc. These are benefits that might be difficult for an individual to get, but if we leverage the strength of the group, then it becomes attainable.

All this is long term of course, as today, the most important issue is the internet tax being bantered in several states. That is where all of our focus should be right now...not on nomenclature, not on internal industry politics, but on the big picture. Because if there is no industry, there are no benefits.

So that's my two cents. Thanks, Mellie and Rhea, for asking me to get involved. I'd do my best by you

http and a telephoto
    I'm excited to see you all saying hi and explaining your roles. I'd like to thank Mellie for taking the reigns and the rest of the board for stepping up and addressing the issues that have been discussed for the past few years that came to a head this year. Our industry is changing and growing and it needs an organization like this to help us all grow into the future.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks Rhea & Carolyn for joining the Board and for introducing yourselves.

It is an honor and a pleasure for me to have the Board that I do. All are very willing to share ideas and advice to help create positive changes in our industry. All of us are very committed!
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I'm excited to see you all saying hi and explaining your roles. I'd like to thank Mellie for taking the reigns and the rest of the board for stepping up and addressing the issues that have been discussed for the past few years that came to a head this year. Our industry is changing and growing and it needs an organization like this to help us all grow into the future.
    Thanks Deb. The industry really is growing and changing. As we see with the Internet Tax issue, it is critical that we assume more control and responsibility for the direction the industry follows. Our industry being controlled or directed by those who do not understand it is not beneficial.

Looking forward to hearing perspectives and opinions from everyone.

Thanks for your support.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    What a line up!

Thank you ladies (and potential gentlemen) for your efforts to benefit us all. You are all outstanding leaders and it's an honor to follow you into battle. *Got your backs*
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    What a line up!

Thank you ladies (and potential gentlemen) for your efforts to benefit us all. You are all outstanding leaders and it's an honor to follow you into battle. *Got your backs*

Thank you Rexanne for your support and your faith! It is our honor to have you with us.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Hello, I am another board member and proud to be on it. Personally I am a step father of four, 9, 12, 17 and 20 (in college). Living in Park City Utah where we have two season, skiing and soccer. My lovely wife Cheryl attends conferences when possible to make sure that all this Internet stuff isn't made up. She calls ABW my mistress as it takes time away from paying her attention. Luckily it keeps me home nights.

Online marketing is a second career for me after 13 years in manufacturing. Started as a lab tech in Kansas City and ended as a project director in Chicago. Along the way I worked closely with marketing on product promotion and trade shows. In 1998 I relocated myself to Colorado, tried a stint in computer/network sales then got into search engine marketing. In 2004 found myself exiting out of a agency I help found, did some consulting (read lots of odd jobs) and then took a full time job as an affiliate manager. I had finally found something that combined my technical, organizational, sales, marketing but most of all (human) networking skills. Have loved it ever since! Now I am OPM for an agency in Salt Lake City as well as a consultant.

The Affiliate Voice started for me as a conversation after the Feb 2008 Las Vegas Affiliate Summit. Due to my frustration with no actual solutions to the many issues that the affiliates face I have wanted to see a pro-active organization that starts with the affiliate. Circumstances tabled the idea so when Mellie stepped forward to make a go at it I lent my support.

There is a lot of work to do and Mellie is jumping in with both feet. Am here to support her and provide advice.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread