Angry Upgrade to PopShops
    I LOOOOOVE popshops, it is the easiest and most amazing thing I have seen in a long time.

I love that I can pick products and the software or whatever, is smart enough to say this and not that. My problem is in how the visitor sees the site. If they click on a product they are taken to another site immediately. I want to keep them on my pages for a longer period of time. I want them to click for more information and then chose to buy. I want to add products to my posts on my article pages that go back INTO my store and allow them to keep searching.

Will this ever be added? I am moving over to Datafeedr because they can do all that and more but I like Popshops much more!

Help????

Rhonda Morin

I replied in support but will I will reply publicly as well.

With the help of some WP and non WP affiliates last fall, we did some conversion and click-thru testing of custom landing page vs straight links to merchant sites from products. With some exceptions, the sites that had links that went straight to the merchants far out performed the sites that had an interstitial landing page. (Furthermore, the sites that were NOT WordPress had better SEO and better conversion than the WordPress sites).

This led the team to conclude that we would concentrate on other types of tools, including some that would let those that were technical create their own landing pages if they wanted to.

Hope that helps.
    Jessie
    Jessie Jones
    Create your custom affiliate store with PopShops.
    General support: support [at] popshops.com | Merchant requests: merchants [at] popshops.com
    (Include your popshops login, your shop name, and the URL or merchant you have an issue with.)

so you are saying that an iframed page is not a good idea? I was going to suggest putting a iframe script out there and point the item link to that iframe and set it up so like it looks like it is there page, but kind of like about.com with a tool bar at the top to get back to your site (even though they never left)....of course, giving the user the option to still open the page the old way.....

So would that work with the iframe thing? I have just added all my popshops pages to a new blog and will run it a few days to see how income is swayed. This site has been online for 10 years and I have quite a following and am hitting good numbers in Google so I don't want to kill traffic but I just switched over the wordpress for ease of adding content.

I did a work about with the PHP pages instead of making them "pages" in wordpress I made them posts and did include files. We will see how it works.

If I could get my hands on something that the user could click to read more info about this thing or that and it would open on a page that looks like my site, I would love that! Keep me posted.

Rhonda

I still think a interstitial iframe would be ok, since basically it would have the link in it's own page anyway............

bigsite

Okay I am not a programmer person, I really am more of a cut and paste kind of person. How would that work and do you have a fix?

Rhonda

If you are wanting to get some Search Engine SEO you're wasting your time with an iframe.

SEs DO NOT read or index inside an iframe.

It is also against the TOS of all of the networks and merchants to use iframes and they will remove you from the network if you use iframes to frame their pages and website.

Framing a page also causes cookie stuffing of the merchant's cookie and they will remove you for that too.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I will have to look into the TOS on each, but maybe I should have said a layer, as opposed to an iframe. I don't think the TOS would object to you sending a customer to their page with a choice of opening a new window or opening in the same window.

To answer about scripting, a great site I `borrow` from all the time is
    Dynamic Drive

They have great scripts and forums and usually just a header message is all they ask for in return for use..........however, I would suggest donations once your site starts making some money.

Okay so here I am just a decorator trying to figure out what piece of what I need from Dynamic Drive but I am just not getting it.

In light of full disclosure, my site is http://myinteriordecorator.com it is a wordpress set up. The store is a popshops store with 248+ dynamic shops in it and is located here: http://myinteriordecorator.com/mystore/

I used SSI to insert the code into the posts so I could create a folding category list (to be finished) to make it easy on my visitors. It will be just like the Decorating Articles folding category list found at the top of my sidebar links.

What I really want is to have the person click on the product and have them taken to a page that "looks" like it is on my site for a full description and bigger photo and has a buy now button that will take them to the merchant site.

Maybe this won't convert I don't know but I am hoping I can make this work so when someone clicks on a link in an article page it will take them to the "page" in my store that will then take them to the buy now page with the merchant.

Any help? I will GLADLY pay for assistance. I like popshops better than any other option out there because of it's ease in use on the selection site. I just wish they would add folders so I can keep myself organized. 248 shops for 1 site is HUGE and when thinking about adding more shops for 10+ more sites, it's gonna be overwhelming.

Any assistance would be gladly accepted and if you can provide a solution that won't get me kicked out of my merchant programs or Popshops, lemme know.

Rhonda Morin
    I didn't post affiliate urls or links only to my site for help, I hope this is not a violation.

Just adding a script to what you have is next to impossible from what I know.....I think what you are looking for could be done with a script, but a getElementById('item') javascript command to point to that item wouldn't work because I think PopShops uses the same CSS names for all products on a page.........maybe you could find a clean way to recreate the page in a layer with all the info expanded for that whole page whenever a single item is clicked..............one way or another, you are going to have to take control of the user's click away from the PopShops store link to accomplish it..................personally, if you want to allow for more info..........I would just put a link in the corner of the page and tell users to click on it to expand the whole page for more information, then use a custom CSS on the 'expanded page' that puts everything you can get from PopShops......full description, larger pic, brand name.........etc.....................otherwise, I don't know

as to what I was talking about earlier with layers..........something like this http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...terstitial.htm or http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...lapcontent.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JessieJ
    (Furthermore, the sites that were NOT WordPress had better SEO and better conversion than the WordPress sites).
    As WP can be set up with static pages, do you mean product links in blog posts don't convert as well as on static pages?
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Ah, okay, you know those commercials when they show the guy and all he hears from the woman is blah, blah, blah, blah? Well all I got from that response, which I appreciate is, you can't do it without learning a whole new language.

So I will keep building the way I was and hope the cross promoting from article pages will start to increase the commissions dramatically. I have been happy with what I have been getting but I want more of course.

Thank you so much for your help. I honestly do appreciate it.
    Rhonda

I am sorry, I am just a 'learn as you go' kinda guy.........I have a huge site that has been pop shops for about a year + and building since 05...........will probably take til 11 to get it done...........by that time the internet will probably be shut down knowing my luck.............I am not a good code to english translator

BigSite

English is not your first language? Oh my gosh I am shocked if so. Thank you for you help at any rate.

Rhonda

Rhonda, I can relate & I also have Popshop Questions :)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhondamorin
    Ah, okay, you know those commercials when they show the guy and all he hears from the woman is blah, blah, blah, blah? Well all I got from that response, which I appreciate is, you can't do it without learning a whole new language. Rhonda

I'm a newbie too, and Rhonda, I sure can relate to the blah, blah, blah because much of what I've been reading is like a whole different language and that's what I hear too! I've been writing back and forth with Linda and she referred me here, wrote another post but it hasn't been answered yet so I thought I'd repost/rephrase it here:

I've spent the better part of the morning today, trying to recreate the wheel, well, not the wheel, actually my site, LOL.

Linda suggested using Popshops for what I'm trying to do and I'm not really finding the answers that I need on the site, because of that blah, blah, blah factor. I just don't think I understand all the language. I also need to install Firefox so that it will go faster, right now it take forever to bring up the searches.

Here's what I'd like to do--I have a particular niche market that I am trying to reach for shoes--difficult to find widths for shoes.

I'm thinking of either scrapping my entire site and starting over or working with what I've got and using Popshop.

Here's what I'd like to accomplish:

If I were to create a site that helped people to find extra narrow and/or extra wide shoes, I'd want to include drop down menus so people could select their size: i.e.:

Size: 9 Width: AA Gender: Men/Women/Boys/Girls Type of Shoe: Evening/Bridal Sandal

Then, in a perfect situation: evening sandals in 9 AA would appear on my page from the following merchants whom I have a relationship with:

Zappos.com, Shoebuy.com and Endless.com (just to name a few).

My questions:

1) Can I do this on my own?

2) Is there tech support on the PopShop site or tutorials to help me do it?

3) Which paid option would be the one to chose to enable me to do this?

4) How can I search, if at all for shoes in specific widths? I tried the advance option and put in narrow and wide but the result was "not found"?

Right now, I manually choose the text links, banner ads and individual products I put on each page and it's way too labor intensive--I currently get my links from CJ. Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Here is my attempt to helping you.

What I would do if I were building a site like yours is this:

I would create a page with a popshop store called Mens Shoes, then one called Women's shoes, then Kids Shoes.

Under these I would create pages and shops called tennis shoes, dress shoes, walking shoes, therapy shoes, etc for each main category, mens, womens, kids, etc.

THEN under each second category I would create another page and shop with each size, 9W, 9AA, 9WW, 5baby small (that is my size), etc.

Then to wrap it all up and make it look like one store that functions right I would create side bar widgets or links that say mens, womens, kids, then under each of those MAIN categories have the subcategories and when the visitor clicked on the sublink, it would take them to a page with links for the sizes.

I am sure you could figure out a dropdown and I know there are javascripts out there that would do it for you but search engines don't follow java so that screws you so to speak. Here is what it would look like:

Mens Shoes
    *Tennis Shoes
    *Dress Shoes
    *Walking Shoes

Womens Shoes
    *Tennis Shoes
    *Heels
    *Clogs
    *Running Shoes
    *Other Shoes

Kids Shoes
    *Tennis Shoes
    *Dress Shoes
    *Play Shoes ?

Then when someone clicked on any of those things in that list they would be taken to a page that has the following:

(Breadcrumbs) Store Home | Mens Shoes | Tennis Shoes

Please Pick your Size:
    Wide: 9, 10, 11, 12
    Extra Wide: 9, 10, 11, 12
    Narrow: 9, 10, 11, 12

Each of the numbers would be linked to a shop that you have created in popshops that only has that group in it. Wide 9 would only be 9 wides. Wide 10 would only be 10 wides, etc. you get the picture.

Lots of work and LOTS of pages and shops but it's clear, loads super fast and is bookmarkable for the person with size 5 1/2 women's who can never find shoes she likes so she buys kids size 3. If you fill my need I will bookmark you and come back to buy.

To popshops: please answer the question about the Wordpress posts to static html pages. What converted better? I have just moved my entire site to wordpress and redirected 301 every single page. My revenue is down BUT I like the ease of Wordpress in adding articles and such. I have most of my popshops pages set up as posts with server side includes so I can make changes easily and broadly. Help? I will go back to static in a heartbeat if you say it converts better and you will have an easy tool to get products in article pages soon.

Thanks and I hope that helps,

Rhonda

Quote Originally Posted by rhondamorin
    Here is my attempt to helping you.

What I would do if I were building a site like yours is this:

I would create a page with a popshop store called Mens Shoes, then one called Women's shoes, then Kids Shoes.

Under these I would create pages and shops called tennis shoes, dress shoes, walking shoes, therapy shoes, etc for each main category, mens, womens, kids, etc.

THEN under each second category I would create another page and shop with each size, 9W, 9AA, 9WW, 5baby small (that is my size), etc.

Then to wrap it all up and make it look like one store that functions right I would create side bar widgets or links that say mens, womens, kids, then under each of those MAIN categories have the subcategories and when the visitor clicked on the sublink, it would take them to a page with links for the sizes.

I am sure you could figure out a dropdown and I know there are javascripts out there that would do it for you but search engines don't follow java so that screws you so to speak. Here is what it would look like:

Mens Shoes
    *Tennis Shoes
    *Dress Shoes
    *Walking Shoes

Womens Shoes
    *Tennis Shoes
    *Heels
    *Clogs
    *Running Shoes
    *Other Shoes

Kids Shoes
    *Tennis Shoes
    *Dress Shoes
    *Play Shoes ?

Then when someone clicked on any of those things in that list they would be taken to a page that has the following:

(Breadcrumbs) Store Home | Mens Shoes | Tennis Shoes

Please Pick your Size:
    Wide: 9, 10, 11, 12
    Extra Wide: 9, 10, 11, 12
    Narrow: 9, 10, 11, 12

Each of the numbers would be linked to a shop that you have created in popshops that only has that group in it. Wide 9 would only be 9 wides. Wide 10 would only be 10 wides, etc. you get the picture.

Lots of work and LOTS of pages and shops but it's clear, loads super fast and is bookmarkable for the person with size 5 1/2 women's who can never find shoes she likes so she buys kids size 3. If you fill my need I will bookmark you and come back to buy.

To popshops: please answer the question about the Wordpress posts to static html pages. What converted better? I have just moved my entire site to wordpress and redirected 301 every single page. My revenue is down BUT I like the ease of Wordpress in adding articles and such. I have most of my popshops pages set up as posts with server side includes so I can make changes easily and broadly. Help? I will go back to static in a heartbeat if you say it converts better and you will have an easy tool to get products in article pages soon.

Thanks and I hope that helps,

Rhonda
    Rhonda,

Thanks so much for your reply!

It sounds pretty complicated. Would I need a page for each catagory then?
    Using yours as the example would this mean that I'd have 14 pages?

Mens Shoes
    *Tennis Shoes
    *Dress Shoes
    *Walking Shoes

Womens Shoes
    *Tennis Shoes
    *Heels
    *Clogs
    *Running Shoes
    *Other Shoes

Kids Shoes
    *Tennis Shoes
    *Dress Shoes
    *Play Shoes ?

If I can do this, I'll defintiely give you my link. Once I installed Firefox, I was able to get onto the page that gives the support address, so I emailed them with these questions and others.

I'm figuring that the Pro Unlimited or Enterprise options might be the best way for me to go. But I'm still very new to this and I'm still learning what everything means.

I'll keep you posted regarding my situation and good luck with yours!

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread