This has to be a joke...
    I was looking for a merchant I had run across a while back in the ShareaSale network but couldn't remember the name. So I started to do a browse through the categories figuring when I saw the name it'd hit me as being the company I wanted.

In the mean time I came across a merchant called 'adcause'. With everything that has happened at SaS the last few months I figured it was just the next level on the slippery slope.

I clicked through and saw this is a merchant that provides ads on Twitter. Ok, if twitter can't monetize the site, maybe someone else can. I looked at the FAQ and here is what must be the joke:

What do I need to try it out?

To join and use adCause you will need the following:
    * Twitter Username and Password (this is how we interface to twitter to display ads)
    * Information like: Your name, phone number, address, email address
    * If you live in the US: Your SSN or TAX ID Number (You don't want the tax man to come a knocking do ya?)
    Ok, do they think I'm giving them my twitter name and PASSWORD so they can 'interface' with my account? I really don't think I want them to blast tweets out under my name that I can't control.

But that isn't the best part, notice they not only need my name but also my address, phone number, email address and oh what the heck throw your social security number in there just for fun! They are merchants on a network that pays me, the network has all the information they need for the 'tax man' the merchant doesn't need it unless they have some devious plans for it.

So, you think it's meant as a joke?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Looks like something to do with collaboradate dot com the free dating service. I wonder if that's the kind of ad that shows up as you twittering.

Hi, I just found a great dating site blah blah blah

Not what I would want on my twitter which my boyfriend follows haha.

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    I was looking for a merchant I had run across a while back in the ShareaSale network but couldn't remember the name. So I started to do a browse through the categories figuring when I saw the name it'd hit me as being the company I wanted.

In the mean time I came across a merchant called 'adcause'. With everything that has happened at SaS the last few months I figured it was just the next level on the slippery slope.

I clicked through and saw this is a merchant that provides ads on Twitter. Ok, if twitter can't monetize the site, maybe someone else can. I looked at the FAQ and here is what must be the joke:

Ok, do they think I'm giving them my twitter name and PASSWORD so they can 'interface' with my account? I really don't think I want them to blast tweets out under my name that I can't control.

But that isn't the best part, notice they not only need my name but also my address, phone number, email address and oh what the heck throw your social security number in there just for fun! They are merchants on a network that pays me, the network has all the information they need for the 'tax man' the merchant doesn't need it unless they have some devious plans for it.

So, you think it's meant as a joke?
    Welcome to 2009!

It's not a joke, it's reality! (Some may say it's the economy, but that would be joke)

http and a telephoto
    I don't think it is a joke, but I do think it is a very poorly thought out business plan. I don't think it can be checked on this weekend, but Monday it would be a good idea to get it in front of Shareasale support.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Do we know if the merchant was examined by SAS? This is something I'd like to hear about further. Keep me posted!

Ben
    AdFinity - CPA Network

I don't think SaS looked into it, but I did get a more clear picture of the situation. The FAQ I quoted was for those who would be running the ads on their twitter accounts, not for affiliates.

They do not require affiliates to give them this information. They do require it of those who wish to be 'publishers', while I would still be leery on giving them my twitter account password, it's not uncommon for an advertising network to ask for your contact information and SS#.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread