Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Nine Bucks
    $9. That's my April total so far. Normally, I would be about $50 at this time of month. I see others reporting this type of "April Crash" as well on the ebay discussion forum.

Anybody here seeing a bad month? A good month?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    $9. That's my April total so far. Normally, I would be about $50 at this time of month. I see others reporting this type of "April Crash" as well on the ebay discussion forum.

Anybody here seeing a bad month? A good month?
    My crash was in March. Despite having the same amount of traffic on my website, my ebay impressions and clicks were somehow only 1/10th of normal. My total for the month.... $0. I think there might be a problem with tracking. I can see my clicks going down, but not impressions when my traffic on my site is the same.

I have a whopping $3 this month. Impressions and clicks are still seeming kind of low.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

I just went to check mine since you all posted.

Whopping $1.36.

I still need to figure out how they work. I find it so hard to understand and to navigate. So as result, I only have a few links.

I've been setting up sites using phpBay Pro for almost a year now. (I won't put an affiliate link here, but anyone interested in buying phpBay Pro, contact me and I'll be happy to accommodate. LOL!)

In recent months, I've started to actually see a couple of my sites draw some eBay shoppers and I'm making a couple of hundred bucks a month at it now.

I use WP to set up the sites, try to focus on sites/niches/topics I have fun posting blog posts and pages about, and it's starting to work.

But the really frustrating this is that I'll have a few days with $0 revenue from EPN, followed by a sudden $30-$50+ day, followed by more $0-$10 days.

Gotta get more steady traffic and just be patient, I guess. LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

My downward slide started mid-March, oddly after having my second best month in two years in Feb.
    In fairness, I moved my sites to another server, and that might have had some effect on sales. Bad timing at the least.

I typically see a pattern similar to yours writerguy, but this month started slow. Just picked up another $4 today, so now I am up to $13 for the month.

I have a wide variety of links on several different content sites.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Well, whaddya know, $28 popped up overnight...

I downloaded all transactions from last month. It appears that I had a whopping total of 10 bids (none winning) and bidding activity seemed to have stopped abruptly on March 13th. Is that strange, or what? I suppose it's possible that happened, but it does raise a red flag since I generally have hundreds of bids a month.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Wow! This totally amazes me. I had my best eBay month ever in March ... finally broke the $3,000 mark, and this month is on track to exceed last month.

How are you guys promoting eBay?

So far a good month for me. I've been fairly steady with them since they left CJ. eBay is always strongest for me a month or two after Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    How are you guys promoting eBay?
    As far as tools, I use the editor kit on all my product review pages. Then I started using their "Custom Banner" site wide. It's nicely customizable.

One of my niche content sites is trafficked by younger users and I get a lot of ACRUs.

That's basically what I do. I put the Editor Kit results on the bottom of every single product page. Further, when a product is discontinued and not manufactured any more, I don't delete the page. I just leave the pictures up, remove the links to the merchant(s) not carrying it any more, write a paragraph about it being discontinued, and leave the Editor Kit to eBay on the page. Just because they don't make it any more, doesn't mean people aren't looking for it. And chances are if somebody is looking for it, somebody is selling it on eBay.

I've been doing this for 9 years now. I try to add at least 10 pages a day to the site, and this has been building. As of today, I have 11,974 pages with the eBay editor kit on my site. Every single one of them was custom made. No datafeeds or canned descriptions.

With this process, my eBay earnings keep steadily growing because I rarely delete a page.

Dumb question Tracy... With that many pages, how do you figure out which products have been discontinued? Do you just keep an eye on the invalid links report? Thanks.

Not a dumb question at all! When I started my site, it was a seven page informational site about my subject. I didn't know about affiliate marketing when I started it. When people started writing to me and asking me where the could buy the products I discussed, I happened about on an affiliate program link at an online store I visited. So, I started adding links. At some point my site became so big it was messing up the navigation structure (I use Frontpage.) I called Microsoft and they suggested that I divide the site into sub-sites, which I did. At this point I have about 85 sub-sites, and there did come a time when all that information was too much to maintain just by opening the pages within the site and checking the links.

My solution was to create an Excel spreadsheet for each sub-site. Really they are databases, but I'm so proficient at Excel, I am comfortable setting them up. I'm sure others might be able to do something better with a program like Access.

Each product has a line on the spreadsheet. Followed by three or four columns for each merchant that carries the product. For Merchant A, I might have the SKU, the last date I checked to make sure it was in stock, and the URL. Often I write a formula that creates the URL from the SKU ... if the Merchant uses such a format. Periodically I just go through the spreadsheet, going down the list of products. I copy the URL then paste it into a browser. If the product is still available, I type the current date in the date column as a memo to myself when I last checked the product. If the product is no longer available for the merchant I open the page, delete the link, and replace the date in the spreadsheet with DELETED. If the product has been completely discontinued by all merchants, then I change the font color for the product to RED, so that I know that product is no longer manufactured.

Then I move the page in the website to the discontinued section with the eBay links as I described above. Many of those thousands of pages at my site are now sitting in the discontinued section, never to be updated again, but generating traffic, as well as sales and leads at eBay. While most publishers will completely remove the product from their site once merchants quit selling it (and throw away the traffic), my pages are there forever.

As new products become available, I add them to the database. Some products are available at more than one merchant, and I often provide links to several merchants so that visitors to my site can compare prices and decide for themselves where to make their purchase.

I had to do most of this after the fact, and it was quite a chore creating the databases. Now that I have one set up for just about every section, it is much easier to keep track of my links. Of course, when I add a new sub-site, I automatically create the database as I create the site, and that makes life a lot easier going forward.

This is why I don't understand people promoting eBay and not making money at it. In my mind it is a numbers game ... what I like to call using the The Daffodil Principle.

I remember years ago when somebody laughed at those of who promoted eBay saying that we were "chasing nickels." I still remember when we received a flat 5 cents for every bid and $4 per lead. Check out this thread starting at post #34: eBay Leads. Chasing all those nickels years ago has turned into quite the cash cow for me today. It is very rare for a day to go by where I earn less than $100 just from eBay. Most days it is in the $150 range, and there are a few days each month where I earn over $200 at eBay. This is not even counting all the other merchants I promote.

Tracy:

I can't recall if it's been asked before but do you focus on ppc or seo? I assume with that many pages you surely receive tons of organic traffic.
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

The majority of my traffic is organic and I am in the top three results for tons of listings. I spend about $25 to $40 per month at Google for Adwords, but I haven't updated my keywords in two or three years. If my traffic and earnings were to start to slip, I would probably put a little time in to adding some keywords for current products. The discontinued stuff takes care of itself with the organic searches because when stuff gets discontinued, most people remove all references to it from their sites. Never understood why anybody would do that. It's kind of like I'm creating an online directory of things past and how to find them on eBay.

Last month was one of my best ever (not up to what Tracy is making, but in the neighborhood), and April is on target to be just below that.
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

I was waiting to get half way through the month to mention anything. I don't make anywhere near what some of you do on eBay. But in the past I could see lots of the traffic I sent put in bids and simply lost the auctions. This month when I do a 'download all events', I don't see any losing bids. In the past at least twice as many auctions were bid on as were won. The income and clicks are on par with last month, I'm wondering if there is something they've done to the reporting.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    The majority of my traffic is organic and I am in the top three results for tons of listings. I spend about $25 to $40 per month at Google for Adwords, but I haven't updated my keywords in two or three years. If my traffic and earnings were to start to slip, I would probably put a little time in to adding some keywords for current products. The discontinued stuff takes care of itself with the organic searches because when stuff gets discontinued, most people remove all references to it from their sites. Never understood why anybody would do that. It's kind of like I'm creating an online directory of things past and how to find them on eBay.
    Thanks Tracy

Your reply brings a few more questions:

Of the little amt you do spend on adwords - is that because you don't rank well for more competitive keywords and can't get traffic to those pages?

Also, when you add pages are you putting emphasis to long tail keywords in your title tag and in your content to optimize the page to get top rankings, and if so how long before you see them on Google usually? Are there any key steps you take to get them indexed quickly? Do you have a certain on page content/keyword ratio strategy? Do you work on getting links from other sites?

It seems daunting to me when going through ebay trying to focus soley on seo due to all the heavy competition from other well known online stores who optimize for the same keywords. I suppose seo life would be easier if I invested in a tool like wordtracker.

Lastly, I heard Rosalind Gardner recently mention that she uses ppc intitially to gain "traction" to her pages - I assume meaning indexed and ranked for seo purposes. Have you noticed such advantage comming from your own ppc efforts?

Aren't I the little investigative reporter. haha But I'm sure many wonder the same and your insights are always helpful to us all.
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

I don't know. This is kind of getting too deep for me. I don't think in terms of seo. Unless you count the fact that I believe that words are gold when it comes to search engines. I just try to write good copy about the product and include appropriate keywords in my meta. I don't think about how many times a keyword appears in the copy or anything like that.

I think, perhaps, that I receive so much traffic because I have a lot of pages for a particular segment. Instead of taking the pages down when the products are no longer available, I keep them up with links to eBay. So where somebody else promoting the same product may have one page dedicated to all 30 items, I have one page per item in the segment PLUS 400 pages for the discontinued ones. So my 430 pages get more exposure than somebody else's one page.

As far as signing up for ppc at Google in the first place. I did that more because a client of mine kept telling me I just had to do it. So, I have a campaign for my top 10 sub-sites. I just ran a report at Adwords and eBay for last month to compare.

For my top-selling product segment, in March I spent $20.23 for 447 clicks. I earned $641.68 at eBay. That doesn't include what I earned at other merchants for the current products available in that segment. There are several merchants so it would take me a few hours to run the reports and actually pin down that number.

My second highest cost me $3.19 for 74 clicks. I earned $302.73 from eBay. This product has a dedicated merchant, where I earned $401.45 in March. I also had some sales through Amazon, but that number is harder to pin down.

I think I could probably turn off my ppc and be just fine, but the cost is so minimal at this point ($31.32 for March), that maybe it helps a bit. But, I tend to think that the natural searches is where I'm earning most of my income. It's like that old saying about knowing 50% of your advertising works, but you don't know which 50%.

I appreciate you taking the time and sharing all of that. Sorry I asked several questions at one time - after I thought about it I remembered it's not the best practice to ask all at once.

I forgot to add the one other thing I do, and that is submit sitemaps to google and yahoo. I don't fool around with the fancy XML ones. I just post text versions for each subsite listing all of the urls in the subsite. The XML ones seem too much work to me ... as if I know how often I'm going to update each and every page.

Thanks for the tips Tracy. More than anything, you just worked very hard - you deserve to be rewarded for this. Good job!

My total is now over $50. Probably will top $100 for the month, down from the usual $150, mostly due to the slow start. I have not done much with ebay for a while now. After that "purge" they had early last fall, I was a little apprehensive to invest a lot of time with them on new projects.

What I like about eBay is the fact that everything is based on words as opposed to SKU numbers with most merchants. This makes it very simple to include eBay on every page.

For example, say I have a section in my site for Widgets. I already have a page for Blue Widgets. The Widget Company comes out with a new collection of Violet Widgets. I just take my Blue Widget page save it as VioletWidgets.htm and then search Blue and replace it with Violet. Then I just need to rewrite my copy a little, upload a new picture and I have a new page. The search and replace updates the eBay coding to include the right search terms.

Thanks, Tracy, for the inspiration. I've been at this EPN stuff for a little over a year now, starting by cranking out a bunch of thin BANS stores, some of which have been deindexed by Google. Nevertheless, those sites get lots of Yahoo and MSN traffic. In fact, my best EPN performer was deindexed from G, but Yahoo seems really excited about it.

I've since changed my focus to doing sites saturated with oodles of original content, properly SEO'd. My eBay revenue has grown to near $3K monthly, all from organic traffic. I'm using WordPress with the PhpBayPro plugin, although I did a BANS store this past January, adding some really good content, and it's still indexed in Google and yielding revenue.

In my recent experience, nothing else is converting as well as EPN.

3k monthly from organic - that's awesome - congrats!

I'm a little confused - is that mostly from wordpress/phpbay or BANS? Or do you incorporate BANS in WP?

Quote Originally Posted by GoColts
    3k monthly from organic - that's awesome - congrats!

I'm a little confused - is that mostly from wordpress/phpbay or BANS? Or do you incorporate BANS in WP?
    I've switched to only using WP and phpBay for new sites. However, a goodly portion of revenue is being generated by existing BANS stuff. I have three older sites that incorporate BANS into WP, but that's too much trouble, IMO. I think you're better off using phpBay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast