The Birth of Affiliate Voice
    Affiliate Voice was born here at ABW. Last year as we dealt with the NY Internet tax and all of the underlying issues everyone spoke about forming an organization and what they would like it to be. We did a lot of talking and shared a lot of great ideas.

For most of last year I was an advocate, fighting to save our businesses, trying to change things for the better. There were many highs and some lows. The past year has indeed been a challenge, trying to find enough time to do it all. Around January I realized I needed to make a decision, take advocacy to the next level or back it down so I could concentrate on my business.

Taking advocacy work to the next level would add more power and credibility. As an individual you are limited. My initial idea was to become an advocate for hire and turn my blog, NY Affiliate Voice, into an official advocacy group. After talking with a few people including Haiko and Rhea everyone had the same idea – don’t limit it to NY! - form Affiliate Voice for everyone.

It took a week or two of soul searching to come to the final conclusion that I had to do it.

Using the same basic approach we used in Albany of last year, I realized that we couldn’t wait. This is something we need now. Our industry faces many challenges; we are at a critical time in our industry and we need to guide the industry for positive growth and change.

To make it easier to get off the ground and to effect change with fewer restrictions, I formed an LLC. I am the president and Rhea is the vice president. Rhea also serves as one of the two affiliate representatives we will have on the Board. She has given a lot of time and energy into this venture and is always there for me when I need her. She is very dedicated to making sure affiliates are fairly represented.

Haiko has loaned us the domains and the hosting for both our main website and this forum. He also donated to help cover the LLC filing fees. Haiko also serves as the Consultant and Other Interested Parties Board representative. As you know he is extremely committed to the affiliate marketing industry. Chuck Hamrick serves as my OPM Board representative, his role is to advise and make sure OPM’s are fairly represented. Carolyn Tang serves as my Network Representative, her role is to advise and make sure Networks are fairly represented. The whole Board has given a lot of their time and energy to this organization.

As you probably recognize, each one of the Board members is very outspoken and has great knowledge of our industry and what needs to be done. All of them are committed to helping Affiliate Voice achieve its goals. They have put their faith in me and I have put my faith in them.

The other integral part of Affiliate Voice is the members. We decided that we needed to make membership flexible enough so that big or small your voice could be heard. Join at any level, any contribution.

If you want to be a public member and talk out loud great, but if you would rather whisper your thoughts in private to me or another board member that is fine as well. Loud or soft it doesn’t matter. What matters is that your voice will be heard. Affiliate Voice will grow because you add your voice. Affiliate Voice will succeed because it has to.

It takes a thousand voices to tell a single story. – A Native American proverb
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

http and a telephoto
    It takes a thousand voices to tell a single story. – A Native American proverb
    From the moment this subforum opened, people wanted Affiliate Voice to be a real organization they could get behind and support. I, for one, am glad that you came forward to take the lead and use what you have learned in the last year to create it and take it into the future. You, and other members of the Albany group, worked hard to educate an industry that refused to listen and thought "this won't happen to our state, this won't affect us." Instead of turning a blind eye and leaving people to fend for themselves, you have created an entity where people can come together and act on all the issues that have surfaced recently and that have been ongoing in the industry.

Affiliate Voice has the right leadership to move it into the future and be what this industry needs, a way for people to band together and have their voices heard in unison.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    From the moment this subforum opened, people wanted Affiliate Voice to be a real organization they could get behind and support. I, for one, am glad that you came forward to take the lead and use what you have learned in the last year to create it and take it into the future. You, and other members of the Albany group, worked hard to educate an industry that refused to listen and thought "this won't happen to our state, this won't affect us." Instead of turning a blind eye and leaving people to fend for themselves, you have created an entity where people can come together and act on all the issues that have surfaced recently and that have been ongoing in the industry.

Affiliate Voice has the right leadership to move it into the future and be what this industry needs, a way for people to band together and have their voices heard in unison.
    Well said, and i couldn't agree more. This is so true, and it is so important today, in light of the major issues facing affiliate marketing, and especially after the ill-advised, ill-suited, ill-formed, and ill-managed fiasco they call the PMA.

I am proud to be a member, and I will honor my AV mug with the finest coffees I can afford on my affiliate marketing earnings.

I spent several years pretty much uninformed and spinning wheels until I found ABW a couple of years ago. I have learned more on this forum than I ever imagined affiliate marketing could involve. With AV, I hope that to see the growth of an organization that can put the vast wealth of knowledge that affiliate marketers, both ABW members and not, possess, into keeping the industry on a path towards greater growth and prosperity, organized and powerful enough to fend off the many serious threats we face.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Thanks Affiliate Hound and Deb. Make your AV mugs always be filled with the finest coffees
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Sorry to have been asleep at the wheel since this launch. Took a long weekend with the family and now the wife and I have a week without the kids. Am thrilled that this is finally a reality.

AffiliateHound, sorry if you haven't gotten your mug yet. Volunteered to take care of the orders and will get on the stick. The next time we bump into each other at a conference remind me that I owe you a trip to Starbucks!

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread