Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Has anybody here added banners/buttons or publicly discussed endorsing a presidential candidate on their web site? If so, has doing so had any impact on your sales.

I'm backing Kerry this year and an am considering putting something on my site about it. Right now, I purposely have nothing that is personal on the site and concerned about having a negative impact on sales.

I'd be interested in hearing others experience on this subject, regardless of which "side of aisle" you align yourself with.

BTW, I am not looking to make this a political thread, so please refrain from debating the candidates or the issues.

Why would you want to promote a presidental candidate on your commercial website? you would alienate over 50% of your audience.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What JJJay said!

You're giving up the business from the other side of the aisle the instant that banner goes up.

And with the Democratic candidate not yet decided, you're giving up the business from a lot of them, too!

The easiest way non-Kerry backers can express their disagreement with you is to refuse to buy through your site. And even if he wins the nomination, you can still kiss those Republican customers goodbye!

I myslef would only put a political statement on a personal homepage type of site.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

I agree, backing a candidate on a commercial venue should be left to newspapers. I think if you want to add anything at all about the political season, maybe it should be a get out an Vote reminder, or a register to vote reminder. Keep it as generic as possible.

ABW Ambassador
    Just keep your site on-topic.

If it is a political site, it might be appropriate.

Otherwise it is just another liberal (or conservative) with a big head using media to push his (or her) ideas on the rest of us.

ABW Ambassador
    If you have a content site, you can do that if you want and if you don't rely on page views for banner ad income.

ABW Ambassador
    We thought of endorsing Mayor Bloomberg.

But for the reason given by JJJay we didn't!

[there may have been other reasons]

Big Daddy Smokes
    Real American Tobacco
    FAST Shipping
    Residual Income
    Lifetime Accounts
    http://www.bigdaddysmokes.com/recruit2.html
    affmgr@bigdaddysmokes.com

I see alot of people advising against it, but has anybody actually tried endorsing a candidate?

I'd like to hear what the actual impact was rather than opinions on what I should or should not do.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Just use ebay to sell your "I Like Ike" or Mondale buttons. Those wishing to hawk anger management courses should put up some Dean blurbs.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    NO

On a sales site of course not, you might not get any opinions on this because it's a very bad idea and i can't see somebody actually trying it.

How can you see this as positive in any way? Don't put anything political or religious on a sales site.

I work in lounge pants

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> has anybody actually tried endorsing a candidate?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not me, hell no!

The point of having an advanced brain is so humans DON'T have to always suffer through the school of direct experience before realizing an idea's not grand.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

The point of having an advanced brain is not blindly following the opinions of people who negate ideas without available data to support their positions.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I see alot of people advising against it, but has anybody actually tried endorsing a candidate? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not me. My sites are for selling things.

But I am interested. If you do it, please let us know. Maybe you could try it for a day and see what happens...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sweat:
    The point of having an advanced brain is not blindly following the opinions of people who negate ideas without available data to support their positions.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That has got to be the worst comment I have ever heard. Most of the people that took the time to comment to you maintain extensive experience. I can guarantee you it does not require actual experience to know what’s good or bad for a site.

Per your comment, go ahead and touch the stovetop it’s hot and can burn you. Granted I have never touched a stovetop because I listen and common sense tells me it would not be a good thing.

You go ahead and gather that information for us. While we all sit back and CRACK UP!

Oh ya go ahead and run with pair of scissors while you’re at it!

SandraR

Sigh .... we have bred common sense out of the population.

C.M. Kornbluth had it right.

Must Build More in 2004
    Game on!!!! - The DawgFather

ABW Ambassador
    People are giving opinions without any data or anything because the question is so open.

We don't even know what the intended purpose of the endorsement is (to get more sales?).

You should promote one candidate per week, after a month of promotion please list your conversion rates, that way we can all promote the candidate with the highest conversion rate

Let's see I call people on their inability to provide facts and I get criticized. Let's keep in mind, I asked specifically if anybody had any "experience" not opinions about the subject matter.

If you all think that endorsing a candidate is such a bad idea, let's see some PROOF to back up your position.

Sweat:

Let me offer this and see if you think it's relevant.

Every time, and I mean every time, I've worked for a newspaper, the minute that newspaper endorsed a candidate, people called to cancel their subscription over the endorsement. I can recall at least three specific instances of advertisers pulling out of the paper, at least temporarily, because of an endorsement.

I can't translate those experiences onto the Web, because we haven't really dealt with endorsements.

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

ABW Ambassador
    It's common sense.

Political site, sure.
    Personal site, sure.
    Sales site, NO.

Show me a brand name merchant that has anything political or religious on their site, you won't. What's your thinking on how it can help? You should know just from religious or political threads in this forum how it ends up.

Endorse a canditate, but don't put your political views/endorsement on a sales site.

I work in lounge pants

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> let's see some PROOF to back up your position. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why don't YOU show us some proof? Go on I dare ya; endorse the guy on your website. What's the matter, are you afraid?

ABW Ambassador
    just make a political site

Die Parasites Die!!

I'm thinking of adding a large image of a dead monkey to all my sales pages (I sell mainly baby apparel).

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it likely to raise my sales?

I don't want opinion - I want to hear about people who've actually tried it.

Are you seriously hoping someone will step up and say, "It was great, we got all the supporters to spend money at my site" ??

When was the last time you were in a political or Religious argument with someone? Hasn't it occurred to you that Politics and Religion usually strike at the core one many folks' ideals?

If you put an endorsement up, you are guaranteed to lose visitors. Unless, your site is geared specifically for that candidate's supporters and their views.

This is marketing 101 - no proof needed, you already had your answer when you came here. Why are you surprised when everyone offers their opinion.

No only that, but everyone so far has been polite and restrained enough not to offer their opinion about your candidate.

Fred

Are you sure the nurses know you're using the computer?

ABW Ambassador
    Except on sites where issues are expected to be discussed, I run my websites with the same rule my friend runs his barroom: NO arguments or pronouncements about politics or religion.

My experience, not opinion, is that so far this has worked well. That's all the proof I need.

Karl makes a good point about the results of such activities, even in a venue where it is to be expected.

Wayne

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast