Seo friendly affiliate network?
    Is there such thing as a seo friendly affiliate network? Is there a way to bridge the 2 to benefit the publisher and/or merchant? I noticed that DirectTrack and LinkShare have direct link options... I'm trying to map out how they (and other channels) could be good and bad for the publishers and merchant. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

http and a telephoto
    Your affiliate channel is to drive sales, not assist with your site's SEO. Attempting to do otherwise is not going to get you good results in either venue.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I might get flamed but this is my opinion:
    Affiliates don't like the SEO chat because it takes the focus away from them. If the Affiliate program isn't only caring about us its not a good program.

I'm not saying that's bad.

Affiliate managers are under pressure to keep the affiliates happy. Also while receiving pressure from higher "ups" to keep affiliate sales up while at the same time having SEO departments pushing for "linkjuice" any way they can get it. Like sharks salivating over the affiliate link potential. lol

Which I totally understand the AM's position.

Its a tough gray area that is a good thing to chat about I think...but thats just my thoughts...

http and a telephoto
    I worked for a corporation that had an inhouse affiliate program that had links that would have been considered good for SEO. The affiliate program did very well. The site's SEO did not benefit as much as you think it would from having "direct links". That company later changed their program from inhouse to CJ (after I left). I don't think their traffic or SEO is suffering from that change.

Affiliates don't really have a problem with direct links as long as they track. That is the problem though, many direct linking solutions have a high rate of tracking failure.

My point in my post was to point out that you are mixing apples and oranges. Affiliate programs are to drive sales, not give you link juice. SEO for a merchant site is a *totally* separate operation from the affiliate program and merchants need to see that difference and not expect one to help the other.

It has *nothing* to do with pleasing the affiliates or pleasing management, it has to do with setting priorities and understanding what an affiliate program is supposed to accomplish for a company.
    Deborah Carney

On the flip side.... If you don't please Management(Owners) then you don't have a job as an Affiliate Manager lol.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by PDXreader
    On the flip side.... If you don't please Management(Owners) then you don't have a job as an Affiliate Manager lol.
    My job as an affiliate manager has never been to "please" anyone. It is to make sure the program works. Companies that don't listen don't have successful affiliate programs. I can point you to several that I have worked with that didn't listen and have fallen to the wayside. I can also point you to several that didn't like what I had to say, but followed my advice anyway and have successful programs because of it.

Being a "yes man" isn't going to make anyone happy in the long run.

The whole point of this discussion is to make people realize (managers and corporate folks) that their affiliate program *isn't* a way to build SEO. If that is what they *are* using it for, affiliates *won't* join, and the program will fail and the SEO guy will probably get fired too.
    Deborah Carney

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    We give Affiliates the choice on whether or not they want to configure direct to merchant links via our Affiliate Link Encoder tool. What I have seen more and more is that some Affiliates are working with retailers to negotiate a higher payout, if they agree to pass their link juice using the ALE.

In that case it works out for all pretty good. But again it has to be the sole discretion of the Affiliate whether or not they want to consider this..

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    The whole point of this discussion is to make people realize (managers and corporate folks) that their affiliate program *isn't* a way to build SEO. If that is what they *are* using it for, affiliates *won't* join, and the program will fail and the SEO guy will probably get fired too.

Sorry I thought this was discussion not a one perspective only thread. lol

I don't think it wouldn't behoove the affiliate's long term interests to direct link with the current compensation packages out there with a point or two bump. This proposition isn't only "link juice" from the aff it's in essence a built in obsolescence for the affiliate, as such the LTV of the customer and new commission schedules for direct acquisition and subsequent / ancillary sales need to be negotiated. IMO.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

http and a telephoto
    I'm not sure what all the is about. Good luck to you both with your affiliate programs.
    Deborah Carney

Thank you for taking the time to answer me. I just meant that I was listening and it was interesting to hear all of the different opinions from everyone. I thought the was a fun way to show it. Thanks for all of your comments, I really appreciate them.

I hope I didn't offend you loxley...sometimes I am a little too jovial!

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread