More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Facebook Rocks!
    I set up a Facebook page for my wife. I have to say this service really is nice! Easy to find new friends, can keep up with the "news" really nicely, etc.

And, no solicitations from creepy strangers so far (1 week).

I also tried running ads on their site. No conversions yet. I realize these are not "ready buyers" for typical products but it is nice that you can target demographics. I will probably keep the ads running at a very low bid.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Good to see that you are enjoying it so much...

I've never used facebook myself, but that's just due to the fact that I think you need to have lots and lots of photos that you update regularly, and I havent.

Is this true?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    You don't have to add any photos or update anything although you should at least post a profile photo of yourself. It is like "group email" - you post what is happening (in an area all your friends can see) and whoever has the time can reply. So if you are busy, you can leave it alone. You can also post private messages. My wife always hated being on the computer but she really loves this.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Thanks for that. I think I will check it out. I know that Facebook has been around for a few years now, but I always overlooked it for those reasons.

Excellent. This could be a whole new world of opportunities. Who knows, right?

Thanks!

Did somebody say Facebook?

I think the best way to use Facebook is to give your visitors an additional login to your site with Facebook Connect. That way they don't feel inconvenienced to register through email. Makes them much more likely to post and you can bring them back through FB notifications. It also makes for a powerful marketing tool through their news feed. When they post to your site they can share their post on Facebook motivated by receiving comments and likes. Now to get them to share their posts on Facebook, Twitter and Friendfeed through their iPhone..

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Sorry, Snib... I am a bit lost...

[/QUOTE]I think the best way to use Facebook is to give your visitors an additional login to your site with Facebook Connect.[QUOTE]

Are you refering to, say, your personal website or is this a "Facebook site."

I'm sorry to sound so unknowledgeable, but I've never used Facebook before (What????, right?) and I am not entirely sure how it all works. Sounds like it could actually be put to good use, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chentsol
    Sorry, Snib... I am a bit lost...

Are you refering to, say, your personal website or is this a "Facebook site."

I'm sorry to sound so unknowledgeable, but I've never used Facebook before (What????, right?) and I am not entirely sure how it all works. Sounds like it could actually be put to good use, though.
    Facebook has a universal login system similar to OpenID where you can give your site visitors the option to login to your website with their Facebook login. This is something Facebook provides to webmasters to make their sites more social.

- Scott

How about that! You learn something everyday.... More like a bunch of stuff actually, here at ABW.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Facebook has a universal login system similar to OpenID where you can give your site visitors the option to login to your website with their Facebook login. This is something Facebook provides to webmasters to make their sites more social.

- Scott
    Do you sign up for Facebook connect on the site itself? I must've missed that. Then again, I haven't logged in in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah
    Do you sign up for Facebook connect on the site itself? I must've missed that. Then again, I haven't logged in in a few weeks.
    You have to register your site as a Facebook app in the developers section first:

http://www.facebook.com/developers/

Then you can learn about how to integrate Connect into your site here:

http://developers.facebook.com/connect.php

They've also got a really neat Comments box you can add to any of your pages that will send people Facebook notifications when they get replies and allow people to post their comment to their news feed:

http://developers.facebook.com/news....og=1&story=198

- Scott

Thanks for the instructions, Snib
    I was wondering how that would work.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I love Facebook. I have run ad campaigns and learned you have to be patient. Correct, they are not 'ready buyers' but if they become a fan the viral effect and ability to communicate with them is well worth the investment. I used to ppc to kick start and then it took off organically. Cool stuff. Wish the Business pages allowed more flexiblity but on the personal side of Facebook I am glad it doesn't

You have to register your site as a Facebook app in the developers section first:

They've also got a really neat Comments box you can add to any of your pages that will send people Facebook notifications when they get replies and allow people to post their comment to their news feed:

- Scott
    Thanks for the info and instructions.

- Scott
    Thanks Scott!

I will give it a go and see what happens.

Question Facebook / RSS
    Does anyone know how to add RSS Feeds into your business / fan pages?

I know how to do it on my normal user account, but that option isnt available on the business / fan page interface...
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread