More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I am starting a new site promoting fine men's clothing. In the neckties section, I have a single page for each different type of tie. For example, I have one page for Gucci ties. How much can I use the word "Gucci"? In the body? The description? The title? If someone has a bit of experience and/or advice, please help me on this. T.I.A.

Always Keep The Legs Moving!

Action Jackson - King of the World
    This is something you will have lots of opinions on. Personally I would use it all of those places. How else are you gonna promote Gucci ties?

Jack Mitchell
    http://kattskozykorner.com
    http://clothing-to-go.com
    http://sports-to-go.com

I generally have avoided use of trade names or trademarked names in titles or keywords in the past. I am thinking the use within the body to identify their own product within a link would be fine - affiliate links themselves will include trade names. In this case however, my page consists of just image links of Gucci ties so I would like to title the page appropriately.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CheeseHead:
    I generally have avoided use of trade names or trademarked names in titles or keywords in the past. I am thinking the use within the body to identify their own product within a link would be fine - affiliate links themselves will include trade names. In this case however, my page consists of just image links of Gucci ties so I would like to title the page appropriately.

****************************<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd have to agree with Jackson. You are selling their ties...I'd use Gucci every place I felt it needed to be. One way to be sure is to contact the company for permission. I don't think you'll need it in this case.

"Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
    - Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    To put it bluntly I'd optimize like mad for "Gucci ties!"

I'd only get off that term with a C&D from the Gucci company--if the merchant had a problem with it, they are either crazy or competing against their affiliates, so if the merchant had a problem I'd find another one.

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Leader, you make a good point - there is almost always a C&D order before any serious action is needed or taken, especially when the pockets are fairly shallow. The one thing that most merchants will have a problem with is bidding on their name in PPC - I don't blame them since affiliates then become counterproductive for them. Thanks for the info.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The one thing that most merchants will have a problem with is bidding on their name in PPC - I don't blame them since affiliates then become counterproductive for them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Them protecting their own name I can see.

But there's been a couple of merchants who tried to prevent bidding or SEOing for ANY words relevant to their store (not just their own name and TMs). Those are the ones I'd push the Drop Program button on.

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread