Effective Affiliate Marketing?
    Hi,
    I recently signed up for Shareasale, and am getting a decent number of affiliates. But most generate minimal or no clicks. When I visit the sights, I can never even find my site, or banners. Does anyone have any advice as to how I would better market to affiliates that are more appropriate to my business (Printed Tees)? I have contacted all of my affiliates, explaining the incentive, and thanked them for signing up. It doesn't appear to be too effective though. I realize that it has only been 3 weeks, but I would have expected to atleast have one effective affiliate at this point? Is this unrealistic? Thanks so much for any advice.
    Tim

ABW Ambassador
    You have to make it clear to your affiliates why they should be promoting you, rather than any of the other (many) printed tees merchants. What makes you stand out? What makes you special?

I went to your site. The site is working well and the design is sharp and bright. Competition for t-shirts on the web is fierce. You have 12 designs, they are based on "emoticons" and I suppose because you are using organic t-shirts by AA ( not a union shop-just carries the American label and high prices) you pretty much have to charge more than other novelty type shirts. Perhaps you should seek out affiliates who would draw people who are really into buying only organic stuff?
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

What I have been struggling with is that most of the affiliates that have joined are coupon companies, offering coupons to people. I only sell tees. I wanted to see how to best target affiliates that I don't currently have signed up, ones that would make sense for my product.

ABW Ambassador
    You need to make it clear that you don't want to work with coupon sites (if that is the case) You should be manually reviewing all sites.

Also, you could pay to be a featured merchant in Shareasale. Highlight your program, what makes it a good fit for certain sites. Find out what kind of affiliates would be a good fit for what you have to sell, and reach out to them.

Thanks so much Terri,
    I really appreciate you taking the time to look at my site. I am still new in this business, and am trying to feel my way through. I was planning on adding a large number of new tees as my traffic increased, and when I had enough email ids to send newsletters. But in the mean time, I just need to increase my traffic (and of course then sales). Do you have any ideas on how I would attemt to target the affiliates that would have an interest in organic product?
    Your feedback has been great, thanks

Thanks Julian,
    I guess I figured the more the better in the beginning regarding allowing discount sites to subscribe. I was thinking about advertising on Shareasale, didn't know if it would make a difference. I'll give it a try. I had my designer enhance the free shipping option I was told that it was not obvious enough.
    Thanks again,
    Tim

The question is NOT effective affiliate marketing it's effective niche picking -- if there isn't a REAL market / demand for emoticon shirts, affiliates won't sell it, nor create it for you. Affiliates pre-sell they don't get paid to create niches and demand for your product. IMO, it looks like your looking to build a business based on easy sales by opening an affiliate program and I don't see that happening anytime soon. It doesn't make sense for an aff to send you their tshirt traffic when they could easily send it to zazzle or other POD sites with the same theme and a MULTITUDE of other designs.

I'd suggest you look for PPC or Facebook ad based affs and provide them with a value proposition to make what you have work and build a demand for the product through REAL in house marketing efforts. Otherwise your only spinning your wheels and wasting both your and the affiliate's time.

Harsh but true.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

A ton of our ShareAsale affiliates are coupon sites. I see almost no traffic from them, but i just accept it.

coupons
    I think you should do offer some coupons especially right now a days people are looking for deals every time.

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    I would also suggest trying to stand out from the competition with a more competitive payout, very clever banner design, and having some fun with the newsletters and emails you regularly send out. If people like you and WANT to do business with you, they'll try harder even if you're newer and carry less selection.
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

Affiliate Manager Peggy - BeachAudio's Avatar
    Tim,

I had some banners on SAS and they worked really well. I would definitely suggest banners on SAS, if you just want to just increase the number of affiliates that sign up. I don't know if it's the correct way to go but, what I do is I manually approve all affiliates who are relevant to my industry and contact them if the relevancy is not obvious. I find those who respond are more proactive and usually put up your links right away. I make sure they know that if they need anything at all from me, whether it is customized banners or text links, data feeds or whatever to let me know.

I also actively go out and find affiliates and I approach them. I look at who's promoting my competitors and then go and approach those affiliates. It's a little slow and tedious but I figure you got to do it to build a good team of affiliates.

Other than that, I'm also trying to find the secret formula for motivating inactive affiliates : )

Good luck.
    Peggy Diaz
    [email=peggy@beachaudio.com]peggy@beachaudio.com[/email]
    Toll free 877-804-0495 x7004
    AIM: peggybeachaudio
    Twitter: @peggybeachaudio

So you are saying you offer100% organic cotton Tee-Shirts that are made in the U.S.A.? If so that would do good on my eco-blogs. I'll have to go check out my shareasale and see if I can find you. If I can figure out how to add my eco blog I'll add you.
    Last edited by 2sillycows; April 17th, 2009 at 05:08 PM.
    :kiss:

I had no idea you had organic cotton. You need to post "100% Organic Cotton" I sped right past and never knew.
    :kiss:

Peggy, how do you actively approach affiliates? How do you know who's promoting your competitors??

I'm curious.

Hello JDD2009,

You have to be a little creative to find out who's promoting who. Some of the ways I find affiliates are:

- I have my competitors on google alerts (so every time someone writes something) I get a message and I follow the link. It is sometimes an affiliate, so I do some research and see if I'd want to pursue a partnership with them.

- I go to various forums and sometimes I read someones comment, or hear a site being mentioned for my industry and I go check it out.

- I talk to my network, and sometimes they help you recruit affiliates that might work well with your industry.

- I buy banner space on my network as well as on some forums and they sometimes find me.

- Go to Alexa.com and if you already know of a good affiliate, look up their site on Alexa and it lists other sites that the same users go to.

These are just a few ways that I try to find affiliates. I hope this helps.
    Peggy Diaz

Thanks a tonnnnnn peggy...I gained a lotta knowledge from your posts, thanks once again. How do i find any affiliate who is dealing in completly organic products(even im working for a merchant dealing in organic products for kids basically) if you dont any network in the feild of affiliates? If you can refer me to any affiliates it would be of great help for me.

Thank You,

Irfy!

Hi aceofadsense,

I'm glad my post was helpful.

I am not familiar with the Organic products industry at all, I am in the consumer electronics industry myself, but what I would advise first off is to google "Organic products for kids", "Organic Products", etc. etc. You'll see that alot of merchants and affiliates will come up and take a look at their site and see what they sell or who they promote on their site. The more you search and read and look around, the more familiar you will become with who the bigger players are in your industry. One affiliate lead will lead to another and so on.

Once you know who your competitors are it will be easier to identify the affiliates you want to partner up with. This is just one strategy you can take but I am sure there are many other ways to go about it.

Make sure you read other threads here on ABW on how you should approach affiliates without being intrusive or annoying.

Also before anything, make sure your program is an attractive one, because once you start finding these affiliates, you need to have an enticing program in order to get them on board.

That leads me to another factor. You need to become familiar with what the industry standards are in your industry for commissions, cookie life, etc. to make sure you are at least at par with the rest of the industry.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.
    Peggy Diaz

Great info Peggy! Thanks for all the insightful thoughts and ideas.

Glad to help.
    Peggy Diaz

thanks a lot peggy...will come back with more queries[]

Peggy: What would you say is the breakdown of affiliates. Are they mostly bloggers, emailers, or what? I have a new product that is really a B to B product more than B to C. Is this going to be a struggle to put on an affiliate network?

Wink
    Hello Ballparkbob,

I'm sure the types of affiliates will vary from industry to industry. For example, We are in the consumer electronics industry and we get a lot of price comparison and review sites. People shopping for electronics normally do a bit of research and want to know what other users thinks of a particular item and always want the best price from a site they can trust. We also get alot of coupon sites for obvious reasons but additionally since electronics are normally a sizable purchase people always want to save as much as possible. We do get a few bloggers as well. It's really hard to say how it will be split for your industry & vertical.

My recommendation is to do as much research as you can on maybe other merchants with a similar business that seem to have a successful affiliate program and see what they are doing. Also, talk to a couple of networks and see how they can help you and they may be able to give you some information on how merchants in your similar business are doing.

You may need to find some forums in your vertical that are b to b and see what else you can find out. Also try searching here, they have thousands of threads, you will find valuable info on almost anything affiliate related. Setting up an account on a network requires some investment, so you may want to make sure that is the way you want to go. And if so, you want to get an idea of how you want to manage your program before you go in because it does require quite a bit of work and planning. Once you start it, you need to make sure to maintain it so it can grow into a successful and profitable program.

I hope this helps. Good luck
    Peggy Diaz

Affiliate Manager Bradley.Senkovich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy - BeachAudio
    Hello JDD2009,

- Go to Alexa.com and if you already know of a good affiliate, look up their site on Alexa and it lists other sites that the same users go to.

These are just a few ways that I try to find affiliates. I hope this helps.

I tried the fire fox tool its definitely neat toy of the week. I also like that you get more detailed information on a site. But it doesn't have everyone's information. Compete.com is pretty cool too. mostly because they have more sites listed and they have a feature to put up to 5 sites side by side analyst.

free tools are definitely cool.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread