Key Items a Publisher Should Have in Their Blog or Web Site & Other Q's
    Since I am still very new to affiliate marketing, I'm always looking for examples of what a good and successful site might look like.

I wish I could ask you all for links to your most successful sites. Since I can't, I'd like to ask you about the key items or key ingredients for a good site or blog.

For instance, on my site

1) I have banners and text links and individual product pics

2) I've offered suggests of what shoes are the most trendy as related to my niche

3) I've described why I created the site, based on personal experience

4) Tried to add a little more content writing some annecdotes so as to have more content for spiders to crawl (Don't know if I worded that correctly--still getting all of this down)

How does this sound and what else should I be adding?

Questions regarding Items/Content & Blog vs. Site

1)Do you see value in having a site and a blog? Just a blog? What are the pros and cons of one over the other or both?

I don't know the proper terminology to use so I hope you'll bear with me as I speak broken affiliate marketing jargon to get my point across for this next question regarding my blog:

2) Because my web host does not "support," for lack of a better way of putting it, the Wordpress app that would enable me to advertise on my blog, I will either need to switch hosts or maybe consider transferring the domain name to an inexpensive host to run the blog. If I do the later, does it make sense--as a newbie--to go with Site Build It, since they'd give me tools to help with SEO or is there another alternative that anyone might suggest that would be better? Basically without the help of my current web host I don't know how to get traffic beyond putting in keywords. Right now, I'm not getting as much traffic as I'd like, but the traffic that I am getting is buying, which is good. I'd like more views obviously, though and more sales.

Any thoughts and suggestions you may have would be most appreciated. Please, don't be nasty in your responses. I'm new, I've read a lot here (and elsewhere) that still sounds like a foreign language to me, so I'm asking for your guidance as I continue to learn.

Thanks!

P.S. Has a section ever been created for people who might want to mentor another newbie? I think that would be very valuable.
    Last edited by iloveshoes; April 15th, 2009 at 01:09 PM.

RE: sites or blogs
    My personal opinion is that having a main site is the best, then add blogs to bounce off your main site. Have several blogs, not all with the same content. Write great articles about shoes, then link whatever fashion/product/new trend you are talking about to your product that you are selling. You might think about twitter also, along with an rss feed. Submit articles to article submission places and get more back links to your individual product. Just some basic suggestions, hope it helps

Dae

Quote Originally Posted by dae
    My personal opinion is that having a main site is the best, then add blogs to bounce off your main site. Have several blogs, not all with the same content. Write great articles about shoes, then link whatever fashion/product/new trend you are talking about to your product that you are selling. You might think about twitter also, along with an rss feed. Submit articles to article submission places and get more back links to your individual product. Just some basic suggestions, hope it helps

Dae
    Dae,

Thanks so much for your response. I never thought about having more than one blog with different content--that's a good idea to link it to the site. What is involved in getting an rss feed? I was just reading about rss feeds this afternoon, as I've never followed one before. It looks like I'd have to load software to view it and also to have one myself, if I read the information right?

rss feeds
    It depends on what software you are running, some software comes complete with a built in rss feed. If yours doesnt, or your website does not have one, hiring a programmer to do the job is a good idea. Another option would be to use your wordpress blog, it has a feed, which you could make available on your site, provided you updated the content as often as your site. hope that helps

Dae

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread