How much should an AM be paid????
    I know this is a very broad question but what is the entry level salary for an AM in their first year? I have a lot of background in marketing and business but not so much experience with affiliate marketing in particular...any input would be much appreciated!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    It depends on location and your experience managing programs.
    If you have managed program like Expedia or Buy.com or Fortune 500, you are able to command a better income or bargaining chip. That does not mean that if you run a smaller program, you are useless.

Checkout Shawn Collin's website / blog as he might have posted something as I saw it about a year or so ago.

If you are in Alabama, i think it might be in the 20-40k (out of the gate). If you are in NY or LA, the avg might be in the 30-55k.

If you do not have much experience being an AM, I would strongly recommend doing it for the experience as I think it is an every learning industry. I learned a lot on Linkshare which can be applied to my program as SAS, but some of the highly technical things can be only applied to Linkshare.

Like what I said, check Shawn Collin's website.

All the best.

Thanks for that response. What about after a year or two of experience? I suppose it will also be industry specific. Just wondering what AM managers do after a couple of years of experience under their belt.

Quote Originally Posted by ramona
    Thanks for that response. What about after a year or two of experience? I suppose it will also be industry specific. Just wondering what AM managers do after a couple of years of experience under their belt.
    Become affiliates and make some real money.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

"After a couple of years" Let's call it 2 - not more than $60K

I'd suggest you negotiate a bonus based on performance if your looking to make some extra $$, for the real coinage you'd take your knowledge to become an Outsourced Program Manager.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I agree with Haiko on this, however, I will add this specific to the general "going wage" you are looking for...

Those who excel at Any endeavor in life / career, are those who become experienced / good enough at what they do, that they are able / want to work on a performance basis only. They KNOW that they can make a lot more money on performance ownership than they will on shorter term base + arrangements. It is great to have 20 clients this month. It is not great to have 10 next month. The difference is often defined by the "deal" the AM or OPM makes with the merchant...

If an AM, OPM, SEO etc etc are really good at what they do, they can earn a much higher income on performance / % of revenue than they can on a base + basis. I know there are those who will gasp at the very thought of basing earnings on performance, but in the end, as father Google says: "it's all about results."

Many years ago, I learned the value of providing long term results for clients, versus going for the guaranteed monthly base, which often leads to short term relationships. The really good AM's and OPM's who last in the industry for the long term, learn this lesson and apply themselves to long term experience versus one year. Good luck to you and hopefully, for your own good, you learn to view the future as more than a year or two down the road....
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Thanks for the responses guys, I am enjoying this forum so much!

What are the main differences between an AM and an OPM?

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by ramona
    What are the main differences between an AM and an OPM?
    An AM is usually an inhouse manager that manages one program as an employee of a company. An OPM is an Outsourced Program Manager that manages multiple programs as a contractor/consultant. Most OPM firms grow quickly to more than one person so they can handle the reporting and daily activities of managing more than one merchant at a time.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Great info all!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread