Question Would You Still Advise Anyone To Do This?
    When I was young and foolish (that was last year, by the way), I was so convinced that I knew enough about the subject of Health to make a business out of it. I do love that subject, especially natural health concepts.... For example I abhor the gym, preferring instead to workout at home, using rudimentary methods. I have tried to do so many things to make money from health. However, all my endeavours have made me a lifetime sum of about $7.

Now that I am older (still foolish perhaps!) and having eaten my humble pie, I stumbled upon ABW and got directed to go back to the basics.

I would still like to explore this subject a bit more before I give up on it, especially because I already have a hosted domain. so I have gone back to basics, starting with the requisite keyword research and market analysis. I now have something like 45 keywords showing 30,000 or less in the number of competing sites. A wider view, though, tells me that this area is very competitive too competitive perhaps?

From various posts here at ABW, I now know that I should look at the sites that show up under each keyword, look at what their content is, look at what sort of products they are offering, and whether they are affiliates, or merchants etc. I understand that I should do this for at least the first 10 natural search listings for each keyword, as well as the sponsored listings. And then identify those little nichelettes (<-- a pure invention of mine!) that no-one is paying attention to.

I am up to this task (some 4-500 sites!).

Before I plunge in, I just wanted to ask whether in the opinion of affiliate veterans here at ABW this is a worthwhile effort to embark on, I mean for the subject of natural health. Do you know of any reputable merchants in this area? Just looking for some pointers before I spend a couple of weeks on what might be a competitive red herring. Any advice is very welcome.

ABW Ambassador
    Stop worrying so much about identifying "nichelettes" and just build a site dedicated to natural health
    Learn enough about the subject to build an informative site.

Take a step back and start looking at what you really need to do to be successful in this business

Thanks for that Julian. I will start that task straightaway.

It just seemed to me as if my lack of traffic before was because I was not sufficiently focussed on specific niches. I'm not sure whether to read from your advice that the keyword analysis that I am doing is not worth the effort, or whether it is something that comes a bit later on.

I'll definitely look a bit more into this... Perhaps I'm just misinterpretting the material. I do love natural health concepts, but I think I struggle in thinking about how the public might want to receive such content from me.

I will take that step back, and re-engage. Thanks again.

In my opinion, you should go for it. You know about the subject, willing to put the effort in and definitely eager to learn.

Much thanks, Bibbs.

What I've learned in only 2 weeks here at ABW is pure gold dust.

Hi Chentsol,

Mostly, with your website, try to have an excellent original content, with links possibly. I am new to this, but have you tried looking into PPC (pay-per-click) programs to promote your program. There are Google, Yahoo, MSN PPC programs that rate the best. Try also to be a regular at herbal health forums and post a good advise there.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chentsol
    Thanks for that Julian. I will start that task straightaway.

It just seemed to me as if my lack of traffic before was because I was not sufficiently focussed on specific niches. I'm not sure whether to read from your advice that the keyword analysis that I am doing is not worth the effort, or whether it is something that comes a bit later on.

I'll definitely look a bit more into this... Perhaps I'm just misinterpretting the material. I do love natural health concepts, but I think I struggle in thinking about how the public might want to receive such content from me.

I will take that step back, and re-engage. Thanks again.
    Analyzing keywords is only part of marketing - it's not the only part. Understanding the relationship between keywords, content, and different search engine algorithms has a learning curve and is ever evolving.

Why do people visit other sites similar to yours? What can you gleam from your competition while making your site's content original and unique?

Staying focused to the task on hand is often more important than focusing on a specific niche...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I guess when you are looking at niches there are a couple of things to take account of:

Firstly: how many competitors are there?
    Secondly: how good is the competition?

If 29,950 of the competing 30,000 sites are crap* then it should be possible to out-compete them if you can come up with a more engaging site.

*Herbalife.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Focus on your topic, not the keywords .. build a site with content that YOU would find interesting. Google gives better ranking to content sites anyway and, as Dynamoo said, you have no way of knowing if the keyword competition sites are crap.

Once you have a starter set of readers, then it's time to focus on conversions.. avoid PPC in the early stages, it can be a money drain (I speak from experience!).

I launched my first site as I had a passion for the topic.. affiliate marketing strategy was something learned over time. Experience also counts for a lot in this business... we can theorize as much as we like, but nothing beats seeing the results first hand (good or bad!).

It's easier to start with what you know, so move forward asap. Then stick around here, search for everything & anything, ask some questions, and I truly believe the rest will follow! Going back to basics is the right attitude.

And making money writing about a topic you love is pure gravy..

Many thanks to everyone for your kind advice. It seems as if keyword analysis, and the analysis of competing websites are not meant to decide my strategy for developing a website, but rather to help me differentiate myself.

It seems logical to suppose that if I am particularly passionate about a subject, I will probably generate content that naturally differentiates itself. So, although I will not trash the keyword analysis that I have already began, I will approach it with much less ferocity, and focus more on connecting with my subject matter and developing unique content.

In some ways that actually seems much easier... a much simpler and more intuitive approach.

I wonder, though, why is it that most of the training manuals on Affiliate Marketing direct you to doing some pretty extensive keyword analysis first? That question is pretty retorical. Just musing...

Quote Originally Posted by Chentsol
    I wonder, though, why is it that most of the training manuals on Affiliate Marketing direct you to doing some pretty extensive keyword analysis first? That question is pretty retorical. Just musing...
    It really depends on what you are trying to do. If you're going to create massive sites from datafeeds to flood a particular market segment, then yes.

There's more that one way to build a site. But whatever site you build, it needs to be different in some way from everybody else's site. No approach will guarantee success, but an original approach has a better chance of succeeding than just following the crowd.

Like Yoda I am sounding.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

In expressing great wisdom, you mean? LOL...

Thanks for that, Dynamoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    If you're going to create massive sites from datafeeds to flood a particular market segment, then yes.
    That sounds like a appetising proposition, albeit an ambitious one at this stage. BUT, as soon as I have gathered enough knowledge, skill and confidence to know what I am doing, I will.

Much thanks.

Just to give you a hint. Native Remedies was best performing merchants in Shareasale. All I did was to bid on their product keywords in Google adwords and directed the ad to their sites. I did not use my own website.

This stopped when Native Remedies forbade their affiliates from bidding on their product keywords.

So the answer is a definite YES.

Quote Originally Posted by pdaden
    Just to give you a hint. Native Remedies was best performing merchants in Shareasale....

So the answer is a definite YES.
    That's fantastic news pdaden, thanks.

I'll be sure to look them up in more detail in due course, as soon as I am ready with an up-and-running website that I can proudly present to the public.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread