How important is bounce rate??
    Hello ABW members,

Just had a question about bounce rate. How important is bounce rate in regards to Alexa ranking, PR ranking and to SE algo's?

http and a telephoto
    Why would it matter? It is important for you to see if people are staying or leaving, and how fast they leave and if they follow a link that made you money or if they just left because you didn't give them what they are looking for.

And pretty much no one cares about Alexa ranking... too easy to manipulate.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I see.. Loxy, instead of alexa ranking what do you prefer to use to gauge traffic?

Regards,

ABW Ambassador
    server stats

http and a telephoto
    Your own, like Julian says, server stats or analytics.

Other people's... it isn't traffic you care about, it's ranking for specific keywords and phrases. A little targeted traffic is more valuable than a lot of garbage traffic.
    Deborah Carney

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I think Bounce rates are quite important. If a site has a high bounce rate the Google SEO rankings always seem to go lower over time. And Google first made it popular... And it is one of the key metrics in Google Analytics... I think it has been a key part of G SEO for some time. And G PPC as well.

I agree that Google takes bounce rate into consideration.

If people are visiting a site and then coming right back to the search results pages, then Google is doing the right thing by no longer sending people to that site since there obviously is something causing the people to bounce back immediately.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2
    I agree that Google takes bounce rate into consideration.

If people are visiting a site and then coming right back to the search results pages, then Google is doing the right thing by no longer sending people to that site since there obviously is something causing the people to bounce back immediately.
    I'm not sure if they do or don't, but I wouldn't care if my bounce rate was 100% if it meant my landing page was causing each and everyone of the visitors to pick up the phone and call us.

So if Google is attributing a value to bounce rates in the SERPs, then they are showing a very one dimensional attitude towards how people use the web.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Google can tell how long they were gone so if the visitor is writing down a phone number or making a phone call, the visit will be longer. Google is primarily concerned with immediate bounces back to the SERPs because that shows the click was not relevant or valuable to the user.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

http and a telephoto
    "Bounce Rate" and "Bounce BACKS" are 2 different things. Bounce rate means they left your page, but they may have clicked on to someplace *you* sent them (like an affiliate link), not necessarily back to the SERPs.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    "Bounce Rate" and "Bounce BACKS" are 2 different things. Bounce rate means they left your page, but they may have clicked on to someplace *you* sent them (like an affiliate link), not necessarily back to the SERPs.
    I've Never considered bounce backs in with bounce rate. Interesting... I wonder if google analytics can track or start tracking bounce backs in the bounce rate section. This would b a good indicator that your text in your text link or affiliate links is attracting traffic.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I am not an expert in Bounce Rate, i just know lower is better... But this is what Google says on the matter:
    Bounce Rate: The percentage of entrances on the page that result in the person immediately leaving the site. Non-entrance pages always have a Bounce Rate of 0.00%. A high bounce rate indicates that the page is not well matched to the ad or link that is driving traffic to the page.
    Bounce Rate: Shows the percentage of visits the visitor left without viewing any other pages.
    From: http://www.google.com/adwords/learni...ext/38069.html

I know a bounce is a visitor that views no other pages on that domain. I am not sure if an affiliate link or some other non domain link would count as a bounce or not a bounce as then likely Google lost track of that person. My guess is that would not be a bounce at that point.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread