15 years and counting
    Coupon Cabin cloning Retail Me Not
    Coupon Cabin is pushing the envelope with toolbar & user submitted coupons
    1- The Coupon Cabin toolbar is coming soon for Firefox and Internet Explorer.
    2- Submit a Coupon: Help other CouponCabin shoppers by submitting your coupon code, deal or printable coupon here.

It's time to have an organization like Affiliate Voice to tell these networks what we think of these bad Affiliate Marketing practices.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Well every self-appointed expert on internet marketing has been saying that sites need to be more social or interactive in order to be successful and compete with other similar sites. Allowing users to submit coupons certainly falls into that category.

I run a coupon site and do not have a forum or submit coupon feature where any user can submit any coupon under the sun, but do see the argument. I prefer to only post coupons that I get from the networks that I am pretty certain are valid and working, but that's just me. On the other hand, it also hasn't gotten me very far.

With coupon sites allowing users to post coupons, which in turn creates updated content, which in turn makes google happy, which in turn gets better rankings, you are almost forced to do something similar.

In regards to toolbars, that's a totally different animal that I will never agree with.

Here in the UK there is a code of practice for coupon sites which includes

3. A valid code is defined as a code that has been legitimately issued by a merchant for your use online.
    It has been accepted by the following networks
    Affiliate Future, Affiliate Window, Affilinet, Commission Junction, DGM, Linkshare, OMG, Platform A's buy.at, Tradedoubler, Webgains and Zanox
    many of which are also active in the US.

At present I believe they are just guidelines but at least it is a start to level the playing field.

Bob

15 years and counting
    The thieves running CJ and LinkShare have a double standard. They accept the UK code of practice for UK affiliates and they push, help, promote (and even take over) unethical affiliates in the States.
    It shows a strong US affiliate organization could do something to promode a code of good practices.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Donk
    Here in the UK there is a code of practice for coupon sites which includes

It has been accepted by the following networks many of which are also active in the US.

At present I believe they are just guidelines but at least it is a start to level the playing field.

Bob
    This is so cute I just want to hug you. Networks promised you something and you believed it? If you actually checked... you would not be so outraged that US companies treat their affiliates so poorly... instead you would be outraged you are in the same boat.

I can find merchants on those networks on retailmenot and many with ones using their toolbar.

According to CJ 24 out of the 25 voucher code sites that were warned are now compliant with the code of practice.

I have also noted on a UK forum a marked decrease in the number of affiliates complaining about stolen voucher codes.

Sure that 25th affiliate is still out there it but at least it is a start.

Regards

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Well every self-appointed expert on internet marketing has been saying that sites need to be more social or interactive in order to be successful and compete with other similar sites. Allowing users to submit coupons certainly falls into that category.

I run a coupon site and do not have a forum or submit coupon feature where any user can submit any coupon under the sun, but do see the argument. I prefer to only post coupons that I get from the networks that I am pretty certain are valid and working, but that's just me. On the other hand, it also hasn't gotten me very far.

With coupon sites allowing users to post coupons, which in turn creates updated content, which in turn makes google happy, which in turn gets better rankings, you are almost forced to do something similar.

In regards to toolbars, that's a totally different animal that I will never agree with.
    I decided to create a forum where I my members can post coupons (Only valid ones). And I monitor activity. I also have a section where the merchants can join and create their forum and submit deals, product information and interact with my members.

The jury's out if this will work but I do have a disclaimer that I can delete a post that contains invalid coupons and I take this very seriously.

15 years and counting
    Coupons are not used only by affiliates. Merchants are using them also to test different promotions, rewarding special customers... Many Marketing dpts are already complaining about how affiliates promote their brands and it's going to get worse. Allowing users to post coupons is messing up the system. Exclusive Affiliates coupons are also posted on sites like Retail Me not. Retailmenot's Unauthorized Posting of Exclusive Coupons. Coupons not provided by the networks are not authorized by many merchants. These Affiliates are breaking the rules, the networks should not allow them to tarnish the reputation of an industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Coupons are not used only by affiliates. Merchants are using them also to test different promotions, rewarding special customers... Many Marketing dpts are already complaining about how affiliates promote their brands and it's going to get worse. Allowing users to post coupons is messing up the system. Exclusive Affiliates coupons are also posted on sites like Retail Me not. Retailmenot's Unauthorized Posting of Exclusive Coupons. Coupons not provided by the networks are not authorized by many merchants. These Affiliates are breaking the rules, the networks should not allow them to tarnish the reputation of an industry.
    The coupons I personally post are the ones that the merchants (Affiliate manager) sends to me email directly.
    I also have verbiage in my rules (located prominantly at the top of my forum) that posting invalid or expired coupons, deals and promotions will result in the post being deleted and the member being banned from the forum.

I do monitor activity. As the forum grows, I will add more moderators.

15 years and counting
    Bibby, these affiliates have several years of activities, millions of users and 150,000 coupon codes just for RMN. You can't compare with your 7 users. If you (or a user) post an exclusive coupon from Coupon Cabin, they will sue you and the networks will deactivate you. They are breaking the rules and the networks don't care. Is it fair?
    These affiliates have top rankings in the SEs, they are an example for new affiliates, they should follow the same rules or the networks should clearly say that everybody can do what they want.
    "I also have verbiage in my rules" Do you really think spammers follow the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Bibby, these affiliates have several years of activities, millions of users and 150,000 coupon codes just for RMN. You can't compare with your 7 users. If you (or a user) post an exclusive coupon from Coupon Cabin, they will sue you and the networks will deactivate you. They are breaking the rules and the networks don't care. Is it fair?
    These affiliates have top rankings in the SEs, they are an example for new affiliates, they should follow the same rules or the networks should clearly say that everybody can do what they want.
    "I also have verbiage in my rules" Do you really think spammers follow the rules.
    Points well taken.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread