Thumbs down Wow! 1% comm. at Old Nvy, Ban. Rep...etc.
    I laughed at the 2% commission on sale merchandise... now it's 1%..lol. Yep, sign me right up!!
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Seriously! What's the point?

Much smarter to send people to amazon or ebay for their products ... @ many times the commission rate. Or even adsense.

Funny you mention this.. I received an email from Bloomingdale's, they're dropping from 4% to 3%...

And yet this week I noticed one of my top performers INCREASED commission from 5% to 6%.

Merchants need to do the math - if you pay me, I will promote you. And as the old saying goes "you get what you pay for" - little commission equals little promotion.

Exactly! I just contacted one of the CJ advertisers about this today. I've been promoting their products in blog posts and sidebars only to find out that the commission is worth diddlysquat (for lack of a better word).

And what about the advertisers who give "1% to 6%"? Good way to keep affiliates constantly confused about which products are worth promoting.

I thought all their clothes were made overseas for pennies anyway. But "times are tough and we can only afford 1% commission on a $20 shirt that cost $1 to make."

I think it's another example of affiliate commissions being reporting on the company's finances as "marketing" spend rather than cost of goods sold. Unexplained, it can look like your marketing budget is way out of whack. But Gap will be hard-pressed to find another marketing channel that delivers the same ROI as affiliates. Shoot we work for free until something sells. Can't say the same about their TV ads. Except nobody's beating down the doors to sell their stuff for 1%... Hopefully they'll see their program take a dive and realize what might have caused it.

Quote Originally Posted by affninja
    I think it's another example of affiliate commissions being reporting on the company's finances as "marketing" spend rather than cost of goods sold. Unexplained, it can look like your marketing budget is way out of whack. ...
    Good point Affninja!

The new comis is wack.

Do you think CJ raised their rates? It could all be trickling down to us.

I suspect that this might be a reaction to incentive sites and of course to parasiteware. Not intentional, perhaps, but a recognition that the percentage amount won't change the behavior of most of these folks, only the amount paid to them.

Reducing the commission paid to scum (parasiteware) who add no value doesn't change the traffic they send (they'll keep poaching at any commission level, and probably won't stop poaching even if the commission is cut to 0%). I'm not sure how ethical incentive sites would respond to a reduction like this, but I suspect that many would still continue to participate.

Of course, any legitimate affiliates who were adding significant value and sending new customers for 2% should drop these merchants, sending that traffic instead to other merchants.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread