Question about creating a symbolic link?
    Hey, perhaps someone here at ABW can explain this to me regarding a "symbolic link"?

I use a lot of WordPress installs for my sites. All of my sites -- well, most of my sites -- are hosted on a VPS account I have. This is a statement someone made on another forum I frequent:

"I have a number of blogs on my VPS. Whenever I create a new wordpress install, I delete my plugins folder and use a symbolic link to a shared folder I put at /usr/local/wordpress/plugins.

This makes it so I don't have to have so many copies of the plugins, and if I need to update one, all my sites get the update."

If I could do something like this, I agree it would be a terrific time saver and a convenient way to upgrade plugins.

Can anyone explain to me 1) how to create a symbolic link, and, 2) how to set up my wp plugin directories on all the VPS installs, like the guy quoted above has done?

I've been trying to contact the guy who posted that quoted statement, but he hasn't responded on that other forum.

I know we've got folks here at ABW that understand what he meant and how to implement it.

Can any of you walk old writerguy through the process?

Thanks!
    Generate more fake news.

Great post - Though I don't have more than one site using WP, and that was just set up last week, it looks like a great idea. The Wikipedia article on symlinks ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link ) has a bunch of good examples about what they are and how to use them.

In this case, you'd set a symlink in each server account so that /home/user1/public_html/wp/plugins, /home/user2/public_html/wp/plugins, and /home/user3/public_html/wp/plugins would all symlink to /usr/local/wordpress/plugins. Basically, it's a way of creating an alias so that the server acts like a document was located at /home/user1/public_html/wp/plugins/plugin.php or /home/user2/public_html/wp/plugins/plugin.php, though the actual file is in another spot, at /usr/local/wordpress/plugins/plugin.php . Then, just upload all of your plugins at /usr/local/wordpress/plugins, and each install will see all of the plugins installed in that folder. I'm not sure if any issues with WordPress plugins could arise from this, but I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    1) how to create a symbolic link
    the command is: ln
    you and read more about the command with: man ln
    when you have ssh into your vps, you would run either command when you have ssh'd in
    i.e.
    Code:
    ssh myusername@mydealsite.com
    man ln

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    2) how to set up my wp plugin directories on all the VPS installs, like the guy quoted above has done?
    so you have an old install at
    /oldsite/wp-content/plugins

and you have a new site at
    /newsite/wp-content/
    with the plugins folder deleted

you would run
    ln -s /oldsite/wp-content/plugins /newsite/wp-content/plugins

now if you go to that folder you should see the same thing as in the old folder but it will look like the new folder
    ls /newsite/wp-content/plugins

you can read a bit about this here:
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...01110610290643
    there

there is a chance you might run into file permissions issues and need to run something like:
    chmod 777 -R /oldsite/wp-content/plugins

to make everything in that folder readable, writable and executable by anyonen

Once again -- ABW is the greatest forum on earth!

Seriously, thanks for your responses. Gives me something to work on tomorrow while the rain comes down.
    Generate more fake news.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread