Definition of a Datafeed?
    When you have a datafeed, can you have data from more than one source? For instance if I wanted to feature specific (see below) from 5 different stores could I select the products I wanted from each feed and put them on my site?

What I'd like to be able to offer is:

Casual Shoes, Office Shoes, Dressy/Evening Shoes, Sandals, Boots, Athletic Shoes, Men's Casual Shoes, Work/Dressy, Athletic, Kids Shoes

Also, what type of experience would I look for to find someone who could upload (is that the right term?) the information I wanted?

I know CJ offers datafeeds for something like $200.00. Is that per merchant? Can anyone explain how I would do this?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by iloveshoes
    When you have a datafeed, can you have data from more than one source? For instance if I wanted to feature specific (see below) from 5 different stores could I select the products I wanted from each feed and put them on my site?

What I'd like to be able to offer is:

Casual Shoes, Office Shoes, Dressy/Evening Shoes, Sandals, Boots, Athletic Shoes, Men's Casual Shoes, Work/Dressy, Athletic, Kids Shoes

Also, what type of experience would I look for to find someone who could upload (is that the right term?) the information I wanted?
    Yes you can!

Just create a database and put all of your shoe merchants on a table, and create the different shoe categories you want to use...

But if you don't know at least some PHP and Mysql, or some other programing language, then you must hire a programer to write the code for you...

You can also use GoldenCan or PopShops to display just the shoes categories you want from every merchant you're affiliated with, and avoid any programing headache you may not want to deal with...

You have at least three options:

1 - Learn to do it yourself, that way your site may be unique from others, and you will never have to depend on others, to fix any problem that may show up later...

2 - Use GoldenCan or PopShops, and just worry about making your sites different from everyone else that is using those programs. It can be done...

3 - Hire a programmer to write the script you want in order to display all of your shoe merchants categories, but remember that after they make your script, any future uprade or modification to that script, may cost you more money again...

Thanks for your reply.

Oh my goodness, am I having problems figuring out GoldenCAN! I've emailed them for help and I hope they'll respond.

One thing to remember about GoldenCan -- it's not entirely free. Here's a quote from their service agreement:
    Shared link program:
    Every 4th Click™ driven through the store will contain the associate or affiliate ID of The GoldenCAN™ in lieu of the default used associate or affiliate ID.

http://www.goldencan.com/sa.aspx
    Affiliates can get many clicks with no sales. You can read about complaints from affiliates who bemoan the fact that they are getting lots of clicks but no sales in many different subforums on ABW.
    Now imagine that your first 3 clicks produced no sales but your 4th click produced many but you didn't get those commissions because the deal was not "Free on the 4th click"

Try to partner with affiliate merchants who promise that your sales will be yours on the 4th click. They call it "Free on the 4th Click"

Here's an example:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ight=GoldenCan

Partner with companies who say they are free on the 4th and you are okay; otherwise you could be losing lots of commissions.
    Last edited by Rhia7; April 20th, 2009 at 04:27 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

You can use datafeeds with WebMerge:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=194
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    One thing to remember about GoldenCan -- it's not entirely free. Here's a quote from their service agreement:

Affiliates can get many clicks with no sales. You can read about complaints from affiliates who bemoan the fact that they are getting lots of clicks but no sales in many different subforums on ABW.
    Now imagine that your first 3 clicks produced no sales but your 4th click produced many but you didn't get those commissions because the deal was not "Free on the 4th click"

Try to partner with affiliate merchants who promise that your sales will be yours on the 4th click. They call it "Free on the 4th Click"

Here's an example:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ight=GoldenCan

Partner with companies who say they are free on the 4th and you are okay; otherwise you could be losing lots of commissions.
    Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    You can use datafeeds with WebMerge:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=194
    Thanks for the link!

Wow, taking 25% of your clicks away is a lot. That is most certainly not free in my book. One of my SAS merchants contacted me and suggested that I run a shop based on their products. She mentioned Goldencan, so I'm glad I read this thread first... Is this something the merchant has control over?

Many merchants pay the fee so that GoldenCan does not get your fourth click. It's free to sign up and check out the list, no obligation to use any 4th click merchants.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread