I trace a link and found this page where they talk alot about Google.

If all what they say is true, then......... I don't know what to think right now.

"Google records everything they can:"

[For all searches they record the cookie ID, your Internet IP address, the time and date, your search terms, and your browser configuration. Increasingly, Google is customizing results based on your IP number. This is referred to in the industry as "IP delivery based on geolocation."]

Read more here: http://www.google-watch.org/bigbro.html

ABW Ambassador
    It is widley known that the industry is closely cooperating with intelligence like FBI and CIA. Perhaps that is the reason for gathering theses datas.

carneol

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> For all searches they record the cookie ID, your Internet IP address, the time and date, your search terms, and your browser configuration. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So does your site, if it's configured in the normal manner. Take a look at your raw logs, you'll be amazed at what's in there... (If you don't have access to those logs, that doesn't mean the data isn't being recorded by your host!)

The only thing different about a standard aff. site is that affs usually don't set cookies of their own. But if you did, you'd have access to that info, too.

Google having access to what sounds like normally accessible info doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's not personally identifiable, even with the cookie number. A standard IP trace can take them as close as your town and ISP but that's about it. There's so many subscribers to any ISP that's worth a darn, that even knowing who your ISP is won't help them identify you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Increasingly, Google is customizing results based on your IP number. This is referred to in the industry as "IP delivery based on geolocation" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing new there either; non-US webmasters have often complained about having to use a proxy in order to see the US results.

It sounds like that google-watch guy is trying to make it seem like a crime for them to look in their own logs!

Update:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It is widley known that the industry is closely cooperating with intelligence like FBI and CIA. Perhaps that is the reason for gathering theses datas. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As for the cooperation, the Feds definitely could make more use of that info than an average civilian.

But collection of IPs etc into log files is standard operation, at least for most servers. Feds being able to make use of those files is most likely a by-product of the files' existence rather than a reason for that existence.

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

[This message was edited by Leader on January 27, 2004 at 07:30 AM.]

I've always thought that Google Watch was over-paranoid, and even though there's PLENTY of criticism that can be made, it tends to get buried in the paranoid stuff.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Carneol, Leader, Dynamoo.

Thanks for the clarification.

I was only worried about this part: "Google is customizing results based on your IP number."
    Because I though that every body get the same result when they search for a paricular keyword.

No big deal here, I just post that link because I though it was something new since I never saw that site before.

I always use Google for my searches so I will continue to use it, specially now that more of my pages are moving up.

Sal.

I make a habit of deleting cookies frequently, usually daily. This keeps the folder more current, and it's easier to see what's going on with cookies that way.

If a site keeps setting a new cookie every time you visit, they likely won't gain much info from you.

Andy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Sal:

I was only worried about this part: "Google is customizing results based on your IP number."
    Because I though that every body get the same result when they search for a paricular keyword.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The universe is big, really big*

At the very least, it's bigger than the US. IP addresses are the easiest way to determine source country, and by extention, language. So if you to to Google for the first time (i.e. have not previously set preferences with a cookie) it will default to the local language and favor results that end in that country's first level domain.

Another localization feature is the Adsense targeting. Regardless of language settings, Adsense advertisers can specify what countries they want their ads to show up in. Google uses IP addresses to determine if the visitor should see a certain adsense ad or not.
    They may even be able to see trends in visitors from certain IP groups or countries and find that certain ad types perform better than in other areas, and focus on serving up the best performing ads by location.

They really don't care about YOU and YOUR IP address, but they care about what other people like you do as a group.

L4

* Credit to Ford Prefect - Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe (I think)

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

Especially with google tool bar, they can track all the web pages you visited. They are probably tracking it so that they can send targeted advertising. I also heard they are working on providing emails, and advertising there.

Thank you,

Online Shopping Deals Directory
    Give us 1 link and we'll give you 4 links back

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread