GAN Gives Out My Email Address
    I set up different email addresses for each network. I had been using performics at mydomain.com for my GAN email address. It changed to my gmail address in February (a forced change which I do not like but that is another subject). Today I receive an email from Hireko Golf addressed to my performics email address. It appears to be a consumer oriented email powered by Delivra. I have never been an affiliate of Hireko Golf and I don't play golf and would not be a consumer. How did they get my email address from Performics/GAN?

Affiliate Network Rep
    Cathy, we'll look into this. We do NOT give email addresses to third parties. That said, advertisers in our network do have access to email addresses of their affiliates and its possible that someone abused this privilege. Any details you can provide would be helpful. Was the email signed by anyone?

Please forward the mail to me, leadams @ my company's domain.com

thanks,

-larry

Larry,

I just forwarded the email to you.

Cathy

Way to be on top of it Larry!

Quote Originally Posted by CathyM
    I set up different email addresses for each network. I had been using performics at mydomain.com for my GAN email address.
    I do the same thing. I'm not sure how I did it (it's real late) but I was able to keep my unique address for GAN when they made us go to Google Accounts for access.

I too have had my GAN email account leak out into spam world, and none of the other networks did that. I attribute it to a merchant that probably had a virus go through their Address Book. Nothing we can do about that.

I attribute it to a merchant that probably had a virus go through their Address Book. Nothing we can do about that.
    Yes, except this was a merchant that I have zero relationship with. When I have a personal relationship with a merchant, they are given a different email address for their address book. In this case, I believe they must have gotten the address from the GAN interface. This seems to be a leak/bug in GAN. Larry has been very responsive and I believe he will get it fixed.

Larry said there will be a way to modify the contact email in the future. They are working on it.

> "Yes, except this was a merchant that I have zero relationship with." <

The merchant who sent the spam isn't the one who released your email address -- they are the recipient or (most likely) purchaser of the misappropriated email data.

If GAN allows any merchant to access your GAN-contact email address, then it is entirely possible that a merchant loaded these into their email client (with some networks, the affiliate's email address is automatically inserted as the "sender" in the network's "affiliate application notice" email), or into a database used to track affiliates. Even if the merchant accepts your "substitute" email for use in direct contacts, the merchant may retain the other email address as an alternate.

I don't know how many GAN merchants you work with, but if you work with N merchants, then there are N+1 companies who might be the source of this leak (adding GAN itself), and of course each of those companies may have multiple employees and independent contractors (current and former) with access to the data.

Among all the uncertainty about how merchants and networks will treat us, perhaps we should take some comfort in the consistency in this one area: Nearly all affiliate networks have experienced misappropriation of web-publisher contact information for the use of competitors.

In early 1999, I was aware of an incident in which BeFree's complete publisher database was stolen and re-sold to a merchant which was launching a new affiliate program elsewhere. BeFree successfully negotiated a settlement in which the merchant actually agreed to suspend their affiliate program for three months and purge all data acquired to date.

A few months later, I raised the issue as a question-from-the-audience at a conference: two of the four network representatives on the panel admitted that they'd had this occur, and ironically the BeFree rep vehemently denied that this could ever happen at BeFree. That means that 3 out of those 4 networks definitely had their data stolen (each claimed it was by an independent-contractor consultant, and each promised to implement new checks-and-balances to prevent similar occurrences).

Spam happens.
    Last edited by markwelch; April 23rd, 2009 at 12:35 PM.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread