ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Is it just me or do others get perturbed when an affiliate manager(and many do this in here)
    will post their top five earners earn 4 - 5 figure amounts each month.
    Why don't they give us a true earnings potential based on sales per click or how well a merchant converts.
    Far too many can come in and claim we can all get rich when we know an estimated 90% in here won't.
    Give us info the majority of us can use
    Making big claims about 5 out of potentially hundreds or thousands of affiliated who make money from your program means absolutely NOTHING to most people.
    Give us a reason, not false hopes, to want to promote you!!!

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

WW:

That really doesn't enter my process in determining which merchants/services to promote, for the reasons you cite. Those are super-affiliate numbers and we don't really expect to every reach those levels. So they may mean something to some folks, but not us. We use other criteria to make our decisions.

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

Personally, I find it helpful. If a merchant DIDN'T have affiliates making tens of thousands of dollars per month, why would I think I could do well with them? Perhaps I could, but I think I could do better with a merchant that other affiliates have been highly successful with.

That said, other metrics are helpful to know, too. For instance, the conversion ratio metrics that NetMagazines.com regularly posts. It's good sign to see that they have affiliates who see 30-40% conversion ratios.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    walleye, while I can see your point and totally understand what you are saying - this is not something that just AM's do. All sales and marketing companies tout their biggest numbers. Yahoo does not say advertise with us - one of our clients got 3 hits, they say a bizillion hits. Software companies don't say 5 of our top clients each saved $100 by using our time saving software. They quote the biggest savings numbers. That's just how us sales/marketing types are wired.

I agree other metrics are good also. But one of my biggest goals is to keep people motivated and thinking positively and I think it's good for people to know big numbers are POSSIBLE. It gives the ones who are positive something to strive for.

Linda Buquet 714.754.1280 :: Catalyst eMarketing Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Merchants!

I had a "fishing" email from a merchant I'd dropped due to poor performance some time ago.. he proudly gushed that his top earning affiliate earned $whatever a month and I just laughed back at him because it was substantially less than I was getting from a competing merchant.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    It's meaningless to me. Firstly, who is to say these stats r accurate. I've a very tough sale to begin with. For the figures to mean anything I would want to see the raw numbers and the websites they are coming from.

And even this might not tell the true story, say, an affiliate was spending $15,000 a month on marketing, but was getting a return of $16,000 are these good number? Say this affiliate was getting his numbers bu spamming.

All, I'm saying is that these stats are meaningless and to be taken with many grains of salt.

Dynamoo: cool new avatar :-)

Mike
    Bovine Bazaar
    Cow gifts and collectibles

Action Jackson - King of the World
    To me the much more useful stats to know would be the average commission earned. This is something everyone could be able to acheive

Jack Mitchell
    http://kattskozykorner.com
    http://clothing-to-go.com
    http://sports-to-go.com

Sometimes it can be motivating and sometimes not. Depends on my mood - lol.

Ebudae

If you understand, things are just as they are...
    if you do not understand, things are just as they are.

There's one or two merchants I can think of who'd have to say "our top affiliate made $10 last month.. sheesh, we must have forgotten to reverse that sale."

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jackson992:
    To me the much more useful stats to know would be the average commission earned. This is something everyone could be able to acheive<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Amen.
    I wouldn't be opposed to them saying "the top 5/10/etc affiliates earned $xxx.xx, but we had xxx affiliates this month that earned a commission check, and the average affiliate earned $xx.xx."

I remember back in the old days of TigerDirect, Andy would state how many checks were being sent out each month. That was part of what sold me on that program.

-----------------------------
    Scott

Have a nice day unless you have other plans

ABW Ambassador
    I never pay any attention to that stuff. I don't care what the top affiliates are making or the average commissions or conversion of other affiliates. I like to try every merchant out for myself to see how they do for me, those are the important numbers.

I work in lounge pants

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nature Boy:
    I remember back in the old days of TigerDirect, Andy would state how many checks were being sent out each month. That was part of what sold me on that program.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, those were the days.....(bet you won't get that info now)

No worries though, same management style, haven't changed.

True indicator: Quantity of checks cut and amounts.

This way the merchant can't skew the numbers...anyone can write anything, but when you can identify with your amount on that list, that's building trust. Those days will be back..let me get them up to speed..

Thanks Scott

AndyRodriguez.com
    Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services
    P: (305)412-3512 | C: (305)785-4524 | E: doc@andyrodriguez.com
    AIM: AffiliateDoctor | ICQ: 175010 | MSN: AffiliateDoctor
    W: www.andyrodriguez.com - Sign up for my newsletter, earn money!

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    As a former math teacher, when you say average do you mean, mean, mode or median? It does matter which definition of average you mean.

Mike

In 8 years marketing as an affiliate I have concluded the following about merchant affiliate programs;

80% of affiliates that join a merchants program do nothing and produce zero (maybe 2%) of sales.
    10% of affiliates that join a merchants program try a little, and they produce a few (say 8%) of sales.
    10% of affiliates that join a merchants program aggressively market and promote, and they produce about 90% of the sales. They are the big earners because they work for it.

So, if a merchant will show me the earnings of their top 10% affiliates, that’s all I need.

The other (lower) 90% is irrelevant for me. The top 3, 4 or 5 earners are also not an indicator for me. The top 10% is a good indicator for me no matter if there are 100 or 100,000 affiliates. The top 10% earners is a meaningful indicator for me.

Indy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jackson992:
    To me the much more useful stats to know would be the average commission earned. This is something everyone could be able to acheive
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I agree Jack. Not only this but knowing how the %'s were calculated is also important. Average conversion rate for the entire program can be different from average conversion rate of affiliates who generate a check. It would also be a good measure for mean values to know what % of affiliates are active or inactive. Getting an average earning from top 10 affiliates is definitely not a good measure of overall program averages to any potential affiliates pondering to sign on or not. Must be my scientific side coming out again.

Ian Lee

Internet Marketing Strategist
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us

If a merchant or AM really wants to impress us, the figures to provide are:

1. Average clicks to get a sale
    2. Average commission per sale
    3. Total number of commission checks sent out
    4. Average dollar amount of commission checks

If the numbers are good, that alone will sell the program. I know that the top affiliate at eBay last month made $1,000,000, but I don't think that's realistic for the majority of eBay's affiliates, and it doesn't move me to do more with them.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah I liked those Andy posts where he listed the top twenty five and they all looked like numbers a hard-working person could achieve (youd didn't have to be a Yahoo or ebates). And then Mike would show his own stats and rant about something. Those were the days.

Nowadays we have AMs who claim their program converts twice as well as the competition but can't back it up. And the guys promoting their programs based on a few mega-affiliates' numbers. Don't they know we are marketers ourselves and we see this crap for what it is?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Personally I like to see both the type of figures Andy mentioned, AND the top earner numbers.

The figures Andy likes help me to see a program's overall chances. But, once I've joined a program, the top earning numbers motivate me to try to get MY "score" up there!

Sure, some programs have huge numbers (like that $1MM) for their top earners, but others have scores that aren't too far out of range. I've increased promotion for certain programs in the past, in order to go from "almost in range" to "on the list."

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimbo2002:
    Yeah I liked those Andy posts where he listed the top twenty five and they all looked like numbers a hard-working person could achieve (youd didn't have to be a Yahoo or ebates). And then Mike would show his own stats and rant about something. Those were the days.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Jimbo....

I have 5 cooking now and 3 more are being implememnted. Those days of "honest performance disclosure" will be back, have no doubt. I have 3 that i'm geting ready to post some meaningful stats on, be looking out for those....the rest will follow.

The only way an AM can grow a program is without any BS and total, honest, upfront communication...no pie in the sky BS....

Don't worry buddy....those days will return in a big way.....

AndyRodriguez.com
    Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services
    P: (305)412-3512 | C: (305)785-4524 | E: doc@andyrodriguez.com
    AIM: AffiliateDoctor | ICQ: 175010 | MSN: AffiliateDoctor
    W: www.andyrodriguez.com - Sign up for my newsletter, earn money!

I like the top earners list. In my opinion it's another piece of information to evaluate a program along with keyword research etc...

I also find it fairly motivating to try to crack the top ten.

ojmoo is correct when he said the numbers don't tell the whole story. I cracked the top ten for a merchant but I also spent a lot on PPC. I still made a nice profit though.

It's a lot better to crack the top ten just from SE listings !

<hr>
    Leave the gun, take the cannolis.

ABW Ambassador
    I like those lists. One way or the other they are motivating.

IamJaloppy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Ya just gotta love that Andy. The first one in the affiliate industry to really get it. Figure out how to make more sales with less traffic by concentrating on landing pages and click generating creatives. Then it's simple to find ways to increase targeted traffic once all your affiliates are earning a paycheck.

The closest Andy or I will come to an Ad Whore mindset, poisoning this industry, is if we attend a network event and spill a drink on the wrong person..

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I have an affiliate manager send me a newslater that says

"Last month, we send out a total of $xxxx to all our affiliates!!!".

Come on, I make more of that amount to their 'ALL' affiliates from just one of the similar merchant. Do you think I am interested in promoting their program when I read it?

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread