Question Google Page Rank and Affiliate Links - myth or truth ?
    Hello Everybody,

i started a website some 20 days ago and i populated with my own content since the beginning. I got it indexed in google and right away i started appearing page 1 or 2 for the most related keywords, and google visits were plenty (200-250) since the first day.

Last weekend i added a simple "price comparison" table at the end of my articles where i link to my affiliates.

Good news - I made 5 sales in the first 3-4 days
    Bad news - Search engine visits dropped considerably and when i checked... i am still indexed but i appear SO FAR from the first page now...

I read somewhere that google penalizes affiliate links... is that true? so there is no way i can have a site rank good in google if i add affiliate links?

i read also somewhere that you should cloak your links (wordpress - what's the best way?) but google says if you cloak they will come after you, your website and your family !

can anybody let me know their experiences about this problem?

thank you all!

As far as the fluctuation in rankings for keywords or phrases, this is normal. In fact it is normal for new sites to rank a bit higher than they "should" when they are first indexed. If your pages are still ranking within arms reach.... say, top 100 or so, you can be very certain that you were not "penalized", and that the pages that rank above you have simply been ascribed a higher value or score by the search engine.

As far as Google penalizing for having affiliate links.... that is pure BS.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

One thing you should realize is that google gives love to new sites for short periods of time. You may take an unexpected dip, then slowly move your way back up. Content is the best way to maintain strong rankings, but you will see long-established sites taking many of the top spots.

However that new site bump is great, and it does show you that your site converts. Just remember that when the fluctuations start

Google doesn't penalize affiliate sites.. they don't like duplicate content, which is a problem for canned datafeed sites (if they don't offer anything unique)

The google algo is not easy to figure out, much of what we have all learned is based on experience with our own sites. But keep watching & tweaking..

Hi there... I was hoping you would be so kind as to share with us all how you were able to achieve such quick success with respect to the high traffic and decent page ranking...

Can you share some steps you took to get where you are now?

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    WAY TRUE!

Took a hit from a PR6 to a PR4 two summers ago during a Google Update that still haunts me.. But had to stick with my money!

nofollow is a farce.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

google does not penalize for affiliate links - if they did there mught not be a google
    SEO takes constant vigilance - you need to continually work on building back links and keeping the content fresh on your site
    try a php rss reader for fresh content and multiple landing pages concentrating on different keywords

Quote Originally Posted by greg.thomas
    google does not penalize for affiliate links - if they did there mught not be a google
    SEO takes constant vigilance - you need to continually work on building back links and keeping the content fresh on your site
    try a php rss reader for fresh content and multiple landing pages concentrating on different keywords
    Cough! -

Ya think google doesn't know the difference between their code and others?

I could probably write it in a hour.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

Quote Originally Posted by tallisall
    Hi there... I was hoping you would be so kind as to share with us all how you were able to achieve such quick success with respect to the high traffic and decent page ranking...

Can you share some steps you took to get where you are now?

Hi tallisal,

what I did is I created a website that talks about a consumer product that i know very well, having a strong background in that industry.

then i started a pretty straightforward content posting of detailed reviews of those items, with some info you don't find around all the times or that many people don't know.

so for some reason (i have been very productive in the beginning, with a lot of new reviews in a short amount of time) google liked me at first, putting me on good results - often first page - for fantastic keywords (ie "product bla bla review).

then i added affiliate links and got almost instantaneusly bumped down on google, to page 12 or 20. well what i did is i started commenting on a lot of forums, answering people's question and there you go, google started liking me again.

what i want to do now is some link building - i like to link to websites that i like myself and that i can relate to, and that i feel i could send my visitors to.

speaking of which... nobody in the sports industry that wants to link?

i wish you good luck with your website tallisal !
    rsguru

Thanks for the help. I too have gone with the "forum" approach. What sort of posts have you made on these forums? Just a comment on the product and then a link to your site afterwards? Or a description as to how your site is relevant? I'm interested in how to use forums without getting hit with 'spamming'...

I'm interested in how to use forums without getting hit with 'spamming'...

http and a telephoto
    Thanks for the help. I too have gone with the "forum" approach. What sort of posts have you made on these forums? Just a comment on the product and then a link to your site afterwards? Or a description as to how your site is relevant? I'm interested in how to use forums without getting hit with 'spamming'...
    You need to be an active participant in any forum to not be seen as a spammer if you "drop a link". Plus many forums have nofollow tags on links posted.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Google will show good earning one day, and next day you will have zero. I do not trust Google or Hubblogspot. Google is so huge they only care about huge merchants, little people like me that does not spend $1,000's per day is nothing to Google AdSense. My advice leave Google while you still have your shirt...

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by B4What
    Google will show good earning one day, and next day you will have zero. I do not trust Google or Hubblogspot. Google is so huge they only care about huge merchants, little people like me that does not spend $1,000's per day is nothing to Google AdSense. My advice leave Google while you still have your shirt...

You cant leave Google they have 80% of the market share, just make sure you know the ends and out of PPC. When ifirst started it took me for 10,000.

My advice is know the difference between "1-2 phrase keywords" and 3-4 Phrase keywords.....The 3-4 phrase keywords have a better return on investment than 1-2 phrase keyterms

Overview:
    1-2 phrase keywords have alot more searches, but produce on average low results

as

3-4 phrase keywords are the money makers

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread