What else can I as an Affiliate Manager Do?
    Hey guys,

I wanted to get your feed back on how to manager time. As a newer AM I think I have covered all the bases but I'm not trilled with overall affiliate sales. Here is a breakdown of what I have done with our program and would love your input on how to best allocate my time before we go live with SAS.

1. Put our program on Idev affiliate.
    2. Personalized all lines of communication with our affiliates and communicate often.
    3. Send out a weekly newsletters that includes marketing tips and updates.
    4. Proactively post on your forum and others
    5. Interact on Social Media Platforms ie twitter, Linkedin
    6. Drink plenty of Coffee.
    7. Created a commission program that pays more once affiliates hit certain sales goal.
    8. Manage a PPC campaign with our Web Master
    9. And have setup with SAS and should be live by the beginning of May (I hope)
    10. Preparing a interactive presentation for ecomxpo
    11. Planning on attending the Affiliate Summit in NY

What else could I be doing or what haven't I done? Any feedback here is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

http and a telephoto
    I moved your thread to the Merchant Best Practices forum.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Hi Loxly, sorry I if posted in the wrong place.

Is there anything else you recommend an AM to do in this situation?

Thank you.

http and a telephoto
    Your list is a good starting point. Read the threads that Michael Coley has stickied in this section and in the Becoming a Merchant section.

I actually disagree with some of your steps But that is another discussion for another day.... I would not launch inhouse AND network at the same time.
    Deborah Carney

What are some of the problems with Inhouse and network at the same time?

Regards,

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Have a good PPC policy and post it on your site and also remind affiliates.

This will make it easier for affiliates. Monitor and enforce your policy.

I looked at the site in your profile. I presume this is the program you're promoting.

Off the top of my head, first; the products are not typical of what most affiliates promote. Many are financial/bizopp programs. While your programs / classes may be fine, there is a history of disappointed purchasers. Many affiliates will shy away from these products for that reason.

You currently have an independent program through devaffiliate, again, nothing wrong with this except, again, many affiliates seem to be more distrustful of these than a network that they 'think' is looking out for their best interests. This is especially true with these types of offers.

Based on the program, even more than a typical retail/merchant affiliate program, you need to focus on finding the right affiliates. Using a shotgun approach may drive numbers of affiliates, but they aren't what you need. Use a sniper rifle and go find people promoting other programs like yours. Google search for similar programs and write each affiliate a personal email, make sure you mention how you found them and don't over sell yourself or your program in the email. You just want to open the door a crack, don't bust it down in the first emails when they've not asked you to be contacted.*

And for goodness sake stay away from any CPA network, regardless of how great they make it sound.

*Disclaimer: Ordinarily I wouldn't advise cold emailing of affiliates, this is a special situation due to the nature of the products/ offers. First email is a simple request for permission to contact them to see if there is any interest, no reply means no more contact.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Thank you knight01,

Really good points you made here. Do you recommend Shareasale? I don't consider them a typical CPA network but you may. Thanks again.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by ETRdahir
    Thank you knight01,

Really good points you made here. Do you recommend Shareasale? I don't consider them a typical CPA network but you may. Thanks again.

Regards,
    Certainly not, SaS is however is more of an item, retail/merchant network. There are some programs on there with lead/sale programs but I don't know how well they do based on the affiliates that use SaS. But as Lox pointed out having two programs can pose some issues. You'll need to find a way to credit only one affiliate per sale or distrust will doom the program. Search ABW for details on issues that arise from multi-network setups.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Certainly not, SaS is however is more of an item, retail/merchant network. There are some programs on there with lead/sale programs but I don't know how well they do based on the affiliates that use SaS. But as Lox pointed out having two programs can pose some issues. You'll need to find a way to credit only one affiliate per sale or distrust will doom the program. Search ABW for details on issues that arise from multi-network setups.
    Gotcha. Thank you again for your input here.

Regards,

ABW Ambassador
    1a: Set the iDev security settings VERY high.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    1a: Set the iDev security settings VERY high.
    I'm really new to iDev. Why is this important?

ABW Ambassador
    brett-e2

2+ years ago I was given a demonstration wherein a person placed 10 orders in a clients cart without ever visiting that clients site.

That client didn't get the message and we parted ways.

http and a telephoto
    My recommendation is because when you are just starting out you should focus on building just one platform. There are cross tracking issues, and there are recruiting issues. Who are you going to recruit to where? Why? Focus on one platform and grow from there.
    Deborah Carney

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    1. Put our program on Idev affiliate. Do you have affiliates lined up otherwise why launch indie? Its 4x harder to get a super affiliate into an indie program.

2. Personalized all lines of communication with our affiliates and communicate often. Yes, all auto reply templates. Create a program pitch page and get it ranked, add footer links to all site pages.

3. Send out a weekly newsletters that includes marketing tips and updates. Send weekly deals, coupons, new products. Don't tell affiliates how to market! If you want to talk about PPC then send them the keyword list.

4. Proactively post on your forum and others. New program announcement and if you can't afford a forum purchases the other advertising offers, banners, emails.

5. Interact on Social Media Platforms ie twitter, Linkedin. Add a Facebook group or fan page. Create a blog and write often, RSS to your twitter.

6. Drink plenty of Coffee. Don't drink too much, makes you edgy and your hands and voice shake.

7. Created a commission program that pays more once affiliates hit certain sales goal. Have an unpublicized VIP commission tier and performance incentives.

8. Manage a PPC campaign with our Web Master. Do not alienate PPC affiliates or you lose a huge segment. Make sure your T&C's are clear.

9. And have setup with SAS and should be live by the beginning of May (I hope) Better have your conditional representation nailed down or you will spend half your time fixing commissions.

10. Preparing a interactive presentation for ecomxpo. Wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over this one. If you create an interactive presentation use it year round.

11. Planning on attending the Affiliate Summit in NY. Yes and check mThink/Revenue Magazine and Internet Retailer for all events.

12. Plan to spend half your day recruiting, push off everything else other than commissions or technical issues.

13. Use PRWeb for an online press release and talk to SAS about getting into their newsletter.

14. Setup Google Alerts on all your brands, URL's and competitors.

15. Network with peers, reach out to them and be patient!

Even without a forum here get active, join the community and the conversation. Subscribe to every forum that has any relationship to your position and program plus read all your competitors (and their blogs/twitter).

Thank you for the great advise Chuck and Loxly.

Gonna switch to Decaf today and get started.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    brett-e2

2+ years ago I was given a demonstration wherein a person placed 10 orders in a clients cart without ever visiting that clients site.

That client didn't get the message and we parted ways.
    Ah! Well that would be a very good reason. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by ETRdahir
    Hey guys,

I wanted to get your feed back on how to manager time. As a newer AM I think I have covered all the bases but I'm not trilled with overall affiliate sales. Here is a breakdown of what I have done with our program and would love your input on how to best allocate my time before we go live with SAS.

1. Put our program on Idev affiliate.
    2. Personalized all lines of communication with our affiliates and communicate often.
    3. Send out a weekly newsletters that includes marketing tips and updates.
    4. Proactively post on your forum and others
    5. Interact on Social Media Platforms ie twitter, Linkedin
    6. Drink plenty of Coffee.
    7. Created a commission program that pays more once affiliates hit certain sales goal.
    8. Manage a PPC campaign with our Web Master
    9. And have setup with SAS and should be live by the beginning of May (I hope)
    10. Preparing a interactive presentation for ecomxpo
    11. Planning on attending the Affiliate Summit in NY

What else could I be doing or what haven't I done? Any feedback here is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Speaking as an affiliate, I'd suggest the following:

12. Approve affiliates promptly and make sure that if you have any standards for inclusion, note them in your profile. Getting a "sorry, no thanks" message is always annoying. If you are going to reject someone, tell them why because you may be missing a big opportunity.
    13. Be responsive in your dealings with affiliates. Few things are more aggravating than sending an email to an AM and finding that they don't respond. I've switched merchants many times mid-campaign simply because the original was never responsive.
    14. Keep your account always active; *never* let it get deactivated, ever.

Good luck and I wish you the best with your program!

Quote Originally Posted by zorz
    Speaking as an affiliate, I'd suggest the following:

12. Approve affiliates promptly and make sure that if you have any standards for inclusion, note them in your profile. Getting a "sorry, no thanks" message is always annoying. If you are going to reject someone, tell them why because you may be missing a big opportunity.
    13. Be responsive in your dealings with affiliates. Few things are more aggravating than sending an email to an AM and finding that they don't respond. I've switched merchants many times mid-campaign simply because the original was never responsive.
    14. Keep your account always active; *never* let it get deactivated, ever.

Good luck and I wish you the best with your program!

Thank you. I do have 12 and 13 covered. I even give affiliates my personal e-mail and cell number incase there are urgent questions during the weekend. If sales men should always be closing, (Glen Gary, Glen Ross) AM's should always be available to affiliates.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread