View Poll Results: Some sort of discount or group rate on health insurance would be much appreciated.

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 90.00%
  • No

1 10.00%
    Group Health Insurance or Discount for Affiliates?
    A pledge of that sort would be nice but as it has no way of being enforced it would not be binding. Bad practices get you a bad reputation and frankly that is one of the most effective ways of separating the wheat from the chaff. What I would really like to see is a banding together of affiliates to form a group eligible for group health insurance rates. For those affiliates who are seeking health insurance without the umbrella of a larger group the situation can be grim.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Hey Terri,
    I split this off because you tapped into one of the efforts I'd like to personally see happen...getting some form of health insurance discount, or a group rate for affiliate marketers.

I know there are a lot of insurance programs out there that have affiliate programs, any of you guys want to chime in with some suggestions on how we can go about getting something like this together?

Yes Terri, this is on our list of benefits we would like to offer our members. Definitely something that is needed by many in the affiliate industry, so many of us are without traditional jobs.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

I'm certainly interested. Individual policies are the pits. Our premium has more than tripled in the past five years.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    For someone who used to work in insurance, I know very little about it.

But, here is what I do know...

I believe that the Bush Administration proposed allowing small businesses to join together their employee pools to get group plans. So 10 businesses with 30 employees each would be treated as a 300 employee company.

I do not know if that ever came to pass.

There would have to be at least a hundred people to make it worthwhile. No healthy person is going to join a group plan with 10 other people. It is simply not worth it. How many people exactly would it take? I don't know, but I have an idea below.

Lastly, it is going to be hard to convince people in some states (Tennessee comes to mind) to join because it will be almost impossible to beat the rates of CoverTN (which is a state-run program for small businesses - state pays 1/3, company pays 1/3, employee pays 1/3). The rates are SO low it's amazing. An affiliate can get decent coverage here for under $50 a month. Good coverage for just under $100 a month.

My questions are:

1. How does this work across state lines?
    2. How do we start the process?...this is the part I am addressing below.

Are you willing to actually get the ball rolling?

Are you willing to say "Here is my name, here is my first month's premium, I am willing to take a physical, etc. I am willing and ready to make this happen and know that it is going to take some of my time and energy to do so."

If enough people do this and actually organize this effort, it very well could work.

This is the third thread on this topic that I know of, but it seems nothing ever happens. sorry if that is harsh, but it is true.

I am willing to help in any way I can.

(Thanks Carolyn for pointing out this thread to me...I missed it somehow)
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Many people have spoken over the years about a lot of things - forming an organization, doing something to solve the NY Internet tax problem...

Finally something is happening.

Affiliate Voice has formed and as an organization we want to offer benefits members want. A group now exists that is willing to work on providing real benefits and a service to the industry.

A group rate for Insurance wont be something we can provide overnight but it is something we will be looking into as a benefit to those on our member list. It will take time to implement. You're right it is complicated to get started.

You're very lucky to have the insurance options you do, most are not so lucky. I wonder if any other state does that? There are some co-op business groups here in NY that also permit small business people to unite to get the larger group rate but I am not aware of any government involvement. I'll have to look into this.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mellie
    You're very lucky to have the insurance options you do, most are not so lucky. I wonder if any other state does that? There are some co-op business groups here in NY that also permit small business people to unite to get the larger group rate but I am not aware of any government involvement. I'll have to look into this.
    I think we copied it from another state, but I don't know which one. The capitalist in me disapproves of the program, but it is hard to deny that most people in TN are going to take advantage of it.

That being said, if the group health plan is good enough (i.e. has over 1000 people) it could be good enough to attract people from every state.

I wonder if there is a company that would underwrite in all 50 states + DC in this capacity?
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread