Odd characters in LS ID are changing upon clickthrough
    On a Linkshare ID that contains an asterisk, upon clickthrough to Macy's and several other merchants, the asterisk changes to a dot/period. Will this prevent sales from tracking?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Any takers?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    This is normal and nothing to worry as well as the * changing to a . I believe a / changes to an _ amongst others, it's been that way since forever

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Thank you Chris

davidh, I thought I remembered this question being asked before and after a search came up with a thread from a couple of years ago. According to the information in post #35 & 36, there are certain circumstances that appear to cause IDs with special characters to not track properly. Unfortunately, even though the issue has been acknowledged in this thread there doesn't appear to be a resolution noted here.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I've always worried that they can cause tracking problems in some situtations (and mine has a "/"), but I've never seen evidence of it. I suspect that LinkShare added those two characters so that they would have 6 bits of data in each character (26 lower case + 26 upper case + 10 digits + 2 extra = 64 choices, or 6 bits). I wish they could have avoided it or used less problematic characters, though.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread