Is it worth it?
    I've been researching everywhere for a about a month r 2 now about affiliate marketing and web development. i see all sorts of "SIGN UP NOW!!!" or "MAKE MONEY TODAY!!" I've looked at different niches and even thought about making a member site instead, like a social network or something. I've come to the realization that i alone would be no match against facebook. I'm contemplating making an affiliate site but is it worth it?? i don't want to waste countless hours coding and make nothing in the end. Is there actually people that just set up a site from home and pull in an income?? How do i find an unsaturated niche if so??? I have trouble finding anything that i'm interested in or good at except laze around and watch tv lol. And advice would be appreciated.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    You answered your own question.

Build a site around an aspect of TV. You'll find more than enough tv-related products in whatever sub-niche you choose.

As an example, though I did not take the time, effort or expense to build a whole site around them, I built a Squidoo lens about The Three Stooges, because it was a subject near and dear to my heart, and one that could even generate some small amount of income.

As to the rest of your question - there are thousands of members here that make a living doing affiliate marketing, but, and I'll say this only once, IT IS NOT A GET RICH QUICK SCHEME. It is like any other business. It takes lots of work and dedication. Read, study, observe, do, test, do over, test, do over. That's what we all do, and eventually, again as in any other type of business, you can succeed.

Also, this is the wrong sub-forum* for this type of question. Perhaps a moderator can move it.
    ___
    *dopey - AffiliateVoice is a new trade organization for affiliate marketing. There are other places this type of question should be asked, such as the "Newbie FAQs" section.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

maybe it is true that there are lots of tv related products but in my research i have found that the best affiliate sites don't sell the product they "pre sell it", and use lots of content or information. Maybe like a review or DIY site. What possible content can you possibly get from tv related things?? its not as very versatile subject maybe such as a construction DIY site that promotes contstruction products. There is plenty of content for a niche like thins. TV to me seems so dead end.

I'm sure the $100 billion infomercial industry would disagree with you..

http://www.cnbc.com/id/29742163

As for the best affiliate sites that pre-sell, you don't really know how successful any of them are..? There is always room for a new player who can do something a little different.

Affiliate marketing is long & tiresome work, but the rewards of working from home, and building your own "business" are worth it (to me anyway).

If you are having trouble coming up with selecting a niche, or thinking of new ideas, then maybe it isn't for you.

There is a lot of competition out there, but the internet is the great equalizer - all you need is some innovation & fresh content.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    If you are having trouble coming up with selecting a niche, or thinking of new ideas, then maybe it isn't for you.
    Like I am sure, most others who have been doing this for awhile, in every thing I watch, in everything I read, in every thing I observe, I see marketing and site ideas. I have yet undeveloped domain names, lists of other site ideas, other ideas popping into my head at all hours of the day and night, with not enough hours in the day to develop them. If you do not have the imagination and development sense then as teezone said, site development may not be for you. (There are, however, other aspects of affiliate marketing you could explore, especially from the merchant or OPM sides.)

Most affiliates with a real passion for the industry, from neophyte to veteran, would look at an area like TV and immediately think of idea A, idea B, idea C, ... etc., and then explore each one until deciding on the best choice to develop.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

well its nto that i don't ahve any ideas...my ideas are plentiful but when think about different niches i think about what kind of content would i put. I can come up with pleny of sections/pages but when it comes to writing about things i go blank. Sure tv is huge and infomercials and what not but what can you possibly write about?? How to watch?? Like c'mon. I could see maybe a travel site or something. You could talk about different foods that you might have in different places and different hotels and where the best place to rent a car is and so on i dunno. I have plenty of ideas but when it comes to actually putting it into a website i get about as far as making a background color. and go...hmmm what now?? I wouldn't mind making some sort of merchant site or members only site but i have nothing to offer so i'm better off getting started with affiliate sites.

Quote Originally Posted by dopey
    Sure tv is huge and infomercials and what not but what can you possibly write about?? How to watch?? Like c'mon.
    I got a good laugh reading that line. But seriously, you wouldn't write about how to watch tv, you would write about what type of shows you like watching on tv. Do you like Action, Adventure, Romance? Maybe there is a show that you like to catch every week. Take that information and make a site about it, the background of the show, etc. Find products that would fit well with it, and you have a great sub-niche for tv.

Think about it like this, you don't watch the tv when it's not on...you watch it when it IS on. So what do you watch on tv? Heck you could even write about how watching tv can make a person lazy and un-motivated. Put up a health site and write about the downfalls of watching tv instead of working out and eating right.

hmm these are some interessting points. I never think of things in such a broad perspective. Which is maybe part of my problem. You don't want to write about something that can't be broadened. Otherwise your screwing yourself when you finish writing about that topic. how about thinngs like taking pictures off the web and photoshopping them, is this copyright?? like i don't mean photoshop as in change something little i mean using different parts of different pictures to make your own picture, or maybe a logo???

http and a telephoto
    Moved thread to Midnight Cafe.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

So here's a vast directory of as seen on tv items:

http://www.asseenontv.com/

Within are probably over a hundred sub niches you could develope. Find 3 you want to spend time promoting - find out where you can earn a commission on them: amazon, ebay, etc.

Use Google's keyword research tool and analyze the saturation for terms and find keyword phrases you can dominate.
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread