PPC & Landing Pages with Pop-Ups
    I started to advertise a merchant's landing page direct-linking and Google indicated problems w/the landing page.

I read tonight in an ebook that Google hates pop-ups. Anyone know if Google permits landing pages with pop-ups? Specifically, when the user hits the back button and an exit pop up appears.
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

Customers also hate pop-ups. If they get one at your site - they'll never visit it again.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

From AdWords Help - Advertising Policies

Pop-Ups

Don't use pop-up windows on your site.

We do not approve destination URLs that generate pop-ups when users enter or leave your landing page.

We consider a pop-up to be any window, regardless of content, that opens in addition to the original window.

This includes pop-unders, timed or intermittent pop-ups, mock system warnings, and pages that automatically initiate a download.
    -rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Ya - I hate them too (very much). The product/merchant seems to be converting well and it's a good lead payout - which is the only reason why I bothered but didn't know if there is standing adwords policy that would prevent ads being shown that have exit pop-ups. If so then that's something all clickbank merchants need to keep in mind or they'll lose affiliates - at least ppc ones.
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

Thanks Rematt - I'll forward that policy to the merchant and see if they can make an edited version of the page - or I'll just make my own.

In addition to the prohibition on the use of pop-ups on destination pages, Google also prohibits any interference with navigation; the user MUST be able to click the "back" button to return to the page where they saw your ad. An "exit pop" violates both rules.

from http://adwords.google.com/support/bi...&subtopic=9280

Back Button

Your site must allow a browser's 'Back' button to work.

Links to your website must allow users to enter and exit the landing page easily. Once reaching your site, a user must be able to return to the page where they found and clicked on your ad by clicking once on their Internet browser's 'Back' button.

Don't use pop-up windows on your site.

We do not approve destination URLs that generate pop-ups when users enter or leave your landing page.

We consider a pop-up to be any window, regardless of content, that opens in addition to the original window.

This includes pop-unders, timed or intermittent pop-ups, mock system warnings, and pages that automatically initiate a download.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread