Google is giving me a migrane - any advice?
    So launched another campaign tonight focused on only one keyword with a ton of traffic and only 1 competing ad.

I have a good quality score but it tells me my ad is not showing because I don't have a competitive bid of at least .20 cents.

Does this mean that because the only advertiser on there for that keyword is likely paying .20 cents -- that they won't show my ad until I pay at least what he/she is paying??

That seems abit absurd.
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

Is that what G said, "your bid is not competitive"?

Or did it say your "bid does not appear on the first page, increase your bid ...."

A similar thing happened to me once until I checked the serps through a proxy and saw ads i wasn't seeing before. Are you geo-targeting?

Quote Originally Posted by ToughTurkey
    Is that what G said, "your bid is not competitive"?

Or did it say your "bid does not appear on the first page, increase your bid ...."

A similar thing happened to me once until I checked the serps through a proxy and saw ads i wasn't seeing before. Are you geo-targeting?
    It said both - I clicked on the little magnify class and it said my bid was not competitive enough and to appear on first page .20 was minimum, however, there is still only one advertiser.

I changed to .20 and my ad is showing but their "logic" just doesn't make sense to me.

No - not geotargeting.
    "God moves imperturbably, slowly, and with perfect organization. The only wise rate at which to live is God's rate. God get things done and they are done right and He does them without hurry. He neither fumes nor frets. He is peaceful and therefore efficient." - Norman Vincent Peale

That is both ridiculous and frustrating all right.

Hey GoColts,
    Do let us know if you figure out any more about that.
    Doesn't make sense to me.

I have a 1c per click ad in a competitive topic - doesn't make sense that you should need to bid 20c just to get started when there are few competing ads.

But I do keep worrying that the day will come when it will be impossible to get really low cost-per-click ads to work at all.

Well before I launched the campaign I put the keyword phrase into google about 10 times to make sure there was just one advertiser - and there was just one.

After I put my bid in for the .20 - wow, all the sudden 7 other ads appeared out of nowhere.

So maybe there are more than just one competitor but their impressions are substanially less based on the volume of keywords they have in their own ad groups whereas I only have that one keyword.

That's the only thing I can reason - but my ad should still be displayed if their ads are not and I shouldn't have to pay .20 cents if there is only one advertiser being displayed per X number of impressions. At least, if they wanted to be fair about it.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    What comes to mind is that many other ads have very high bids but very low quality scores. Their ad ranking is higher than yours (lets say you bid $0.15) yet their quality score prevents them from showing. However, when you bump your bid up to $0.20, you rank above them (and their ads that don't show). Doesn't make sense, but it is all I can figure. I guess it does make sense for Google - they get a higher bid out of you.

I know if quality score is low enough, the ad does not show, no matter what.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    What comes to mind is that many other ads have very high bids but very low quality scores. Their ad ranking is higher than yours (lets say you bid $0.15) yet their quality score prevents them from showing. However, when you bump your bid up to $0.20, you rank above them (and their ads that don't show). Doesn't make sense, but it is all I can figure. I guess it does make sense for Google - they get a higher bid out of you.

I know if quality score is low enough, the ad does not show, no matter what.
    That does make sense, I had not thought about that. - thanks Cheesehead

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread