Widget Sizes
    To merchants who offer widget links....

It would be really nice to see more widgets in a standard banner size of 300x250 for those of us who would like to run them in sitewide banner spots. Thank you for your consideration
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    To merchants who offer widget links....

It would be really nice to see more widgets in a standard banner size of 300x250 for those of us who would like to run them in sitewide banner spots. Thank you for your consideration
    Widgets created by merchants should be customizable by their individual affiliates.

The merchant selects and maintains the product mix (seasonal, theme, sale, promotions, etc) and the affiliate customizes the "skin," selecting the size, color, font(s), border (or not) to fit their site. Once installed on the affiliate site, the products change as the merchant changes the widget, but the customization stays in place.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Widgets created by merchants should be customizable by their individual affiliates.

the affiliate customizes the "skin," selecting the size, color, font(s), border (or not) to fit their site.
    I use several "widgets" from SAS and would love to know how to do this. I am sometimes slow to see things...........Please help.....
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Oops...sorry...didn't mean to be misleading. The "affiliate customization" as I described is not yet available at SAS. I meant to say that is something that would make widgets more popular because they would be more useful to anyone who wants to incorporate them into their site(s).

The way is is now, a merchant (AM, OPM, whomever) has to "guess" what size and style will be useful to affiliates. Many merchants will offer to create whatever "you" may need and ask for. But, in reality, they do not have time to handle hundreds of requests.

When I first used widgets, by chance I found one that worked really well for me. It was PURPLE and I happened to have a related "purple" colored site. But, I wonder just how many affiliates would be able to use that - a Purple Widget. Had it been created in a generic gray and had been "customizable" - I could have made it purple for me, and you might have needed a blue/orange theme - and we both could have used that widget.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

http and a telephoto
    Also, we merchants can set the width, but setting the height pretty much doesn't work. The widget ends up being however "long" it takes to show the products selected.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Told you that I was slow. I did not catch the "should be"

I can live with length, but it would be nice to be able to adjust the width.

The 160/180 width is OK. 400 is usually OK. Wider tends to overflow areas that I have designated on my sites.

Just my humble opinion
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread