Unhappy Ie 6 ????
    "LinkShare recommends Internet Explorer 6 .... for optimal performance.... All rights reserved.." They really do. Check their footer!

Is it that opinion of theirs that they are reserving rights on?

Lots of people still use IE6!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    Lots of people still use IE6!

eeeewwww

Affiliate Manager
    The more I fight CSS anomalies in IE7, the more I wish people would use IE6.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Yes indeed. The mantra - "a lot of people still use IE6" - is quite prevalent. Especially in the - mostly currently bankrupt - enterprise or large corporate culture.

It might be interesting - statistically - to see exactly what - "a lot of people" means.

In my case - using reporting from Re-Invigorate (NOT Ganalytics, CJ or LS ) I get: 39% IE Users total - with 20% of that (8%) being IE6. Averaging out over a few websites and a few tracking programs then my IE6 "lot of people" number becomes a little bit over 10%. Hardly "a lot"!

In addition what has perpetuated this IE6 popularity pharce, it seems to me, is a couple of things:

1).. The criminal amount of time that Designers and coders and others have (had to?) put in to making their websites IE6 compliant. Personally I wish they hadn't. To me it's like buying brightly colored plastic objects, in local stores (hello Fred M.), from foreign countries - it only leads to trade deficits. Coding for IE6 perpetuates the usage of this non-compliant Browser which, among other things, does not show the beauty of the web as she was supposed to be seen and creates a mindset of......

2).. In light of current economic events I have very little sympathy for those having made the corporate decision to embrace IE6 and, hold on for life, without a jacket, as the good ship IE6 sinks. Either IT Departments were creating make work projects for their own job security or IT decisions were left to short-sighted bean-counters with "not a lot" of IT vision.

Not one of my peers uses IE6 outside of a corporate environment. And, out of my roughly 250 small business clients - not one of them uses IE6!!!

Anyways I'm feeling a rant coming on so better get a second cup of Joe and settle down

It's just morally wrong and stupid business (technologically and payroll wise) to invest in IE6 - and I'll argue that with any CEO of a healthy company. Yup, no Banks or Insurance giants need apply!

So, to support that as blatantly as LinkShare does in their footer is an unhealthy mixture of *palin* plain stupidity, lack of vision, technological ineptitude and financial mismanagement. Or, in LS's case, maybe all.... I mean have you seen those links they give you? Don't tell me y'all don't edit those??? That, (your link editing), would be an example of "supporting modern standards compliance")

If anyone reads this then please don't ask me how I really feel about IE6.

Anyways, all I want to say is that 10%+ is hardly "a lot of people".

Personally I'm about as interested in supporting technology in the corporate culture as they have been, and continue to be, interested in the economic welfare of "the people".

Now, if someone from GM or Bank of America wants to surf and click on my website during their lunch break - well please call me for Tech Support if your Browser isn't working and, I'll be delighted to walk you through it!!!

To paraphrase that famous quote ".... and when the revolution comes I'll be leading the mob into Harrods...."
    Last edited by michaeleay; April 28th, 2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Need more money for a version that works!

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeleay
    ... The criminal amount of time that Designers and coders and others have (had to?) put in to making their websites IE6 compliant.
    It's not just IE6. IE7 has its own set of issues, some incompatible with IE6.

Pretty much every browser Microsoft puts out demonstrates a cavalier disregard for widely-published specs.

The answer isn't to ditch IE6. It's to ditch IE.

Code less, have stronger security, enjoy faster load times: use Firefox.

As for market share, these stats suggest IE6 currently holds about 17%:
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

FF and IE8
    Couldn't agree more about FF but, I do have to be honest and say that I watch myself click more & more often on my IE8 Icon. Not to say that it's replacing FF - either as default or most used iBrowser - but, IE8 looks pretty darn good to me - and fast!

Don't get me wrong, I really dislike IE6.. but it is very widely used in business who for some reason are afraid to adopt IE7 (which has been around for 2.5 years). IE8 is something that the jury is still out on.

Demographics vary ENORMOUSLY by site. My busiest site has 47% of users using FF, 37% using IE. My second busiest is 57% IE and 31% FF. Another site is 65% IE, 24% FF.

Although, it does look like IE8 is on automatic updates now. Expect to see that figure increase very sharply.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I use the 'traditional' LS login. After you login, check the footer on that:

"LinkShare recommends Netscape 4.x or Internet Explorer 5.x for optimal performance
    Copyright © 2009 LinkShare Corporation . All Rights Reserved."

It's clearly a miss print - they must mean IE5 on the Mac Platform...

(c) 2009 - recommending IE5. I'm speechless.

It must be time for another "important" announcement from LS's Grand PooBah soon?
    Last edited by michaeleay; April 28th, 2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: It costs for the Ver./Rev. that works. Big Software Co. taught me!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    Demographics vary ENORMOUSLY by site.
    I find that my geeky-techie sites get a disproportionate number of FF users.

Heres a couple of sites where you can find details of browser stats:

W3Schools
    and
    Market Share .

The W3schools tends to have a lot more FF users, but I think Market Share will give a much better overview.

Regards

Bob

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread