Ads not displaying on adword
    Hi,

I would love some help. I have started with my first affiliate campaigne through clickbank on nail biting which I took on as it is a small niche and I figured I could play with it and learn the PPC ropes and not lose too much money in the process.
    I was concerned as I was getting a lot of keywords not displaying due to“ ad shares a similar Display URL with a competing, higher ranking ad” So I thought if i buy a domain name from go daddy and forward it, it would solve the probelm. Would you have bought a domain name to solve this problem? How do you solve the this problem of keywords not displaying without increasing my PPC?

So I bought a domain name relevant to nail biting with a .com and forwarded it to the hoplink address and put the destination and display URL as my new domain name. I then had the ads disapproved as "inaccurate display URL." Is it because I have forwarded my new domain directly to the affiliate hop site and that is seen as the true destination URL?? Are you not allowed to use a domain name and forward it?

Do I need a landing page/blog or something in between to stop this from happening?
    How do you recommend I proceed?
    Sorry for the long winded message, I hope this makes sense, would love some guidance. Thanks

Hi Lisa and welcome to ABW.

For Google, there are a couple of rules we all have to play. The first one you found out already: There's only one advertiser allowed per display URL I believe in order to keep a diverse range of links (and to keep searchers from seeing strange search results with every ad linking to the same site). It sounds like someone is out-bidding you for that display URL, and Google, like any business, is going to take the customer that will pay them more.

The second rule that you're coming across is in regards to redirecting. You're not allowed to post a Display URL that differs from the ultimate destination URL. That doesn't mean you're not allowed to direct-link, but just that if you're going to put your domain as the Display URL, you have to send the customer to a page on that domain.

That means building a landing page that pre-sells the customer before linking to the final merchant. It sounds tough but it's not too bad. You can put product reviews or other relevant information on your page.

Or I guess you could get into a bidding war with whoever's ad is displaying now. But there's lots of good info on building landing pages on this forum. To learn about affiliate marketing, you've definitely come to the right place.

Landing Page
    Thanks for your guidance, I am more than happy to do some kind of review landing page... is a landing page the same as a website? Where do I go to create a landing page? As this is clearly something I will need to do on a regular basis as an affiliate marketer. If I have a domain name would I just link the landing page to this and then forward to the affiliate site? Would that get around my problem?

Well that actually brings up another issue -- Google has been cracking down on "thin affiliate" or "bridge pages" (pages whose sole purpose is to link through to a merchant.) By assigning these pages a poor quality score, they effectively never show in the search results.

So yes, you may have to build a more robust website to beat the quality score algorithms -- meaning at least 7-10 pages of unique content, including about us, contact us, terms, privacy policy etc. I've seen landing pages from very thin sites still out there, but they seem to be disappearing.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread