Pet and Home Question
    Wifey and I just bought a new house and we're in the process of getting ready to move in...flooring is 1st on the list.

Does anyone have any experience with hardwood flooring or strand bamboo in very dry climates? Any cracking issues? Also how do they do with large dogs?

Thanks!!!!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lilly
    Wifey and I just bought a new house and we're in the process of getting ready to move in...flooring is 1st on the list.

Does anyone have any experience with hardwood flooring or strand bamboo in very dry climates? Any cracking issues? Also how do they do with large dogs?

Thanks!!!!
    Congrats on the house.

I can't really comment on the effects of an arid, desert climate on hardwood, but in the hot and smoggy San Gabriel Valley, it does well.

The dog issue, is another matter. We have two medium sized hounds plus four cats, and hardwood floors that I refinished about 10 years ago. The brood has done a nice job in scratching it up in some places, and while the cats generally use the boxes, the hairballs and the hounds' (not the greatest-trained pair in the dawg-world) occasional accident have resulted in some spots here and there through the house. But - there is no comparison in my mind with the total mess they had made of the carpet that used to cover the hardwood. In my mind, with hounds, cats, etc., it's hardwood, tile, and linoleum, nothing absorbent or that can be unraveled.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Congrats on the new home! It's very exciting.

I also don't live in an arid climate, but rather the wet, soggy West Coast so I can't give you help there. But in my experience it's easier to clean up after dogs on hardwood than carpet. It's so much easier to see when hardwood's dirty and you can just sweep up after them. IMHO it's much less difficult than cleaning carpet.

We have half bamboo and half hardwood in our house. The bamboo is great in the bedrooms, but I find it tends to be softer than regular hardwood or wood-style laminate flooring. We don't have dogs right now, but I imagine big dogs with sharp claws may scratch it up a bit more than hardwood.

Hope that helps! Congrats again!
    Heather Boulding
    Affiliate Manager, AbeBooks.com
    hboulding{at} abebooks.com
    [t] 250.412.3247
    [URL=http://www.abebooks.com/docs/AffiliateProgram]AbeBooks Affiliate Program[/URL]

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Should be ok, use Natures Miracle for clean ups
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

we've purchased from lumber liquidators and they were very helpful explaining all the differences between cork, bamboo, hardwood, hand-scraped, etc. The prices were incredible.
    lumberliquidators.com
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

http and a telephoto
    I would think you would go with tile in the heavily used rooms. When I was house hunting in Vegas there were more tile floors than hardwood.... I hate carpeting, pets or no pets.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I don't have direct experience with hardwood, but from visiting my sister's house, the cats have scratched it a bit. We have wood laminate and it holds up well under our pooch's paws.

There's nothing like pets to break in your new digs. LOL.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread