No Longer Banned!
    Exclamation Need Some Data Feed Advise...
    Hi

I added a Data feed and it is workiking on their end but is just a bunch of text for me.

Is there a bunch of prgramming that must be done to get it to work ?

I never used a raw data feed before.

Any help ?...

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Load the datafeed into a table so you can then display what you want using php/mysql. I know there are numerous threads here that give sample code on creating a mysql table and inputting the datafeed into a table.

Click on the text link "data feeds" above to view this sub-forum's index. The first item highlighted in yellow, is an incredibly helpful (yet incomplete) set of instructions on how to deal with data feeds (Dirk Gardner's "bulletproof datafeeds" thread).

It isn't complete, by far; it's not easy. If you want easy, use PopShops (which is very nice but very limited); another nice (but very different) solution is Datafeed Studio.

Read the discussion threads here for 10 to 20 hours.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWilliams
    Hi

I added a Data feed and it is workiking on their end but is just a bunch of text for me.

Is there a bunch of prgramming that must be done to get it to work ?

I never used a raw data feed before.

Any help ?...

Steve
    A very punishing learning curve if you don't have a clue right now. Maybe better to just build websites with content that you can get from the networks, plus your own.

Forget about datafeeds until you can learn enough to make use of them

Affiliate Network Rep Ryan Gilbert's Avatar
    Steve,
    If you're committed to this, I recommend you do a short course on PHP/MySQL and apply it to datafeeds. It won't cost much and after 10 lessons you'll know enough to get by and learn yourself from there. Without this, you'll be up s*t creek without a paddle...

...We can give you a sample database import scripts for our datafeeds to get you started.
    Ryan Gilbert
    Webgains USA
    www.webgains.com
    AIM: WGrgilbert
    MSN/e: ryan{at}webgains.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/webgains
    Blog: http://usablog.webgains.com
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/WebgainsUSA

No Longer Banned!
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Gilbert
    Steve,
    If you're committed to this, I recommend you do a short course on PHP/MySQL and apply it to datafeeds. It won't cost much and after 10 lessons you'll know enough to get by and learn yourself from there. Without this, you'll be up s*t creek without a paddle...

...We can give you a sample database import scripts for our datafeeds to get you started.
    Ryan

I have been reading the data feed posts and sat up till 6:30 this morning checking out the Bullet Proof Data Feed posts from june 1995 and I took special not of leaders correcting his posts at his requests.

I will google a course on php / mysql as after reading some more my data feed does not look like this series of code at all.

I currently use pop shops on all my pages but this merchant does not have them on their system. Bummer. I thought I could just add it in there and it would work {At first, anyway} and it does not appear that that is the case anymore.

Thanks to all that answered. I appreciate it alot !

A sample is great. Question is, do I need this entire mass of code for each seperate product ? The examples seem to just show one item instead of 10.

Thank you SemourButts !

Talk to you soon Ryan

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

No Longer Banned!
    Unhappy
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    A very punishing learning curve if you don't have a clue right now. Maybe better to just build websites with content that you can get from the networks, plus your own.

Forget about datafeeds until you can learn enough to make use of them
    My merchant is not on pop shops so I am unsure what to do.

I don't think my feed even looks like the examples I read about so far.

The book Haiko sent does not even say anything about layouts. To be honest its a little confusing.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; May 1st, 2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Texas Spelling Spree... Beachy Help !!...

ABW Ambassador
    what merchant feed are you trying to use?

Ryan wrote: > "If you're committed to this, I recommend you do a short course on PHP/MySQL and apply it to datafeeds. It won't cost much and after 10 lessons you'll know enough to get by and learn yourself from there. Without this, you'll be up s*t creek without a paddle...." <

I'll respectfully disagree, or at least insist on clarifying the meaning of "enough to get by" and "learn yourself from there." (In theory, almost everybody could learn anything by themselves -- but many tasks would take years of full-time effort.)

A "short course" in PHP/MySQL will certainly provide a nice head start (assuming that you legitimately invest several dozen hours on this task), but unfortunately dealing with datafeeds is an incredible "education about exceptions." And PHP itself can be coded in several very distinct styles (most obviously, procedural versus object-oriented) and unless you become fluent in each, it can be very difficult to adapt existing code samples.

Dirk Gardner's "Bulletproof Datafeed" thread is an incredibly useful resource, but it's definitely not complete (most of the coding examples didn't work for me), and is really just a "educated starting point" to build from.

In addition to that thread, I spent a lot of time with the book PHP and MySQL Web Development, 3rd Ed. (Welling/Thomson), and found it to be a useful introduction to PHP and MySQL, but many of its code samples weren't valid, and once I'd established a shaky foundation in the concepts, I found that it more often led me astray than helped me solve problems.

Beware of that vast collection of internet resources about PHP and MySQL, including the "official" documentation for each; there is an awful lot of mis-information and incomplete/out-of-date information out there. I've often encountered a problem that "looked like" it should take 5 or 10 minutes to research and solve, but which ultimately took 10 or 20 hours to solve.

Merely importing datafeeds is not the most difficult challenge: filtering (garbage/invalid/incomplete/ambiguous content in feeds, and dealing many kinds of exceptions) and updating are far more difficult tasks. And having a solid database of product information is still just a starting point -- next, you need some kind of content management solution.

I've been working "on and off" for the past 18 months, trying to specify and build a datafeed solution for my own use. I started with a very deep level of knowledge about affiliate programs, internet marketing, and the structure and defects present in some datafeeds. (I also had substantial experience programming many years ago: A decade ago and then again 5 years ago, I built database-driven web sites using ASP. In the 1980's, I did more substantial programming in Turbo Pascal in a substantial shareware project.)

None of this work appears very difficult. It all seems pretty straightforward. But after encountering hundreds of surprise obstacles, I now don't have any realistic prediction of the time and money I will need to invest to "complete" the most basic elements of my project.

FYI: here's the spec I posted when I most recently sought a developer to work on my datafeed project: http://www.markwelch.com/datafeed-pr...2008-07-09.pdf

Since then, I've identified dozens of issues and problems in that spec, and dozens of new issues and challenges.

Some other discussion threads to read:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=107435 (my most recent search for developers)

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=106957 (my experiences with Datafeed Studio)

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=101960 (an earlier search for developers)

Steve wrote: > "I currently use pop shops on all my pages but this merchant does not have them on their system." <

Julian asked: > "what merchant feed are you trying to use?" <

I'm also curious about "which merchant?" but I also recognize that knowing which merchants we think can be profitably promoted is itself a valuable piece of information -- especially merchants in smaller networks and "indy" merchants with in-house affiliate programs, who are often excluded by "super-affiliates" who focus primarily on the major networks.

Do you know what is preventing this merchant's datafeed from appearing in PopShops? Have you contacted PopShops to ask if they could add this merchant? Have you contacted the merchant to ask if they can work to add their feed to PopShops? I know that "indy" merchants are a low priority for PopShops, and some merchants refuse to enable their datafeed for PopShops -- but it never hurts to ask.

No Longer Banned!
    Thumbs up Is Affiliate Future Big Enough For PopShops.com ?...
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Steve wrote: > "I currently use pop shops on all my pages but this merchant does not have them on their system." <

Julian asked: > "what merchant feed are you trying to use?" <

I'm also curious about "which merchant?" but I also recognize that knowing which merchants we think can be profitably promoted is itself a valuable piece of information -- especially merchants in smaller networks and "indy" merchants with in-house affiliate programs, who are often excluded by "super-affiliates" who focus primarily on the major networks.

Do you know what is preventing this merchant's datafeed from appearing in PopShops? Have you contacted PopShops to ask if they could add this merchant? Have you contacted the merchant to ask if they can work to add their feed to PopShops? I know that "indy" merchants are a low priority for PopShops, and some merchants refuse to enable their datafeed for PopShops -- but it never hurts to ask.
    Mark

Thank you very much for spending so much time helping me ! I really appreciate it alot !!

It is Subside sports in england. The guys name is simon. He is very nice and he he emails me alot.

He just approved me on CJ so I am going to make a CJ coded page to avoid the long hours and learning curve you encountered.

I am still no where with world soccer shops either but I will address that somewhere else. The point here is they don't have a pop shops code a year later and I haven't been able to push them either.

These are both at Affiliate Future right ? Are they not big enough for Jessie ?? Note my posts to brian and sarah at AF's forum.

I just got a response saying that I need to remove my base href= stevesapparel.com or I am doomed to obscurity in the search engines cuz the SE's won't be able to read the affiliate links right and now I am wondering if that is true with my pop shops code too.

Hopefully this does not stray off topic. I hope.

Steve
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; May 2nd, 2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: linky

No Longer Banned!
    Mark

Your experiences are far beyond the scope of what I'm trying to do.

You need to contact brian at machiner [at] gmail dot com and though he is a devout linux guy he is the best and he knows hundreds of people too.

I am very impressed by your efforts. I'm glad you have that kind of money to make our world a better place. BTW: Thank You.

Keep trying and never give up.

Best

Steve

No Longer Banned!
    Wink
    All

CJ broke down so I will try again later.

I was trying to get a dateafeed at http://stevesapparel.com/mls2.php going and decided it was not worth me doing on my own.

So you can see the very beginnings of what I am after at http://stevesapparel.com/mls.php ... ~ Note there are no <tr> <td> tags in there yet. I'll do that later.

For me this is the way to go for now.

Best

Steve

Hi Steve,
    World Soccer Shop US programs and Subside sportsUK are on Webgains. Why don't you try our ad creator to do what you want? Our adcreator tool allows you to create the webpage using the product datafeeds from Webgains merchants. You can completely customize it from within your Webgains affiliate account and when you're happy with it, just put a javascript tag on your site to display the ads. Alternatively, we have another tool call the iSense adcreator which can automatically create the products ads for you. You just create the size, colors columns etc and we do the rest.

I'd be happy to run your through how to use our ad creator so you can create your own page. Let me know.
    Ryan Gilbert
    Webgains USA
    www.webgains.com

No Longer Banned!
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Gilbert
    Hi Steve,
    World Soccer Shop US programs and Subside sportsUK are on Webgains. Why don't you try our ad creator to do what you want? Our adcreator tool allows you to create the webpage using the product datafeeds from Webgains merchants. You can completely customize it from within your Webgains affiliate account and when you're happy with it, just put a javascript tag on your site to display the ads. Alternatively, we have another tool call the iSense adcreator which can automatically create the products ads for you. You just create the size, colors columns etc and we do the rest.

I'd be happy to run your through how to use our ad creator so you can create your own page. Let me know.

Ryan

I just applied to your network. Can you approve my application ??

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; May 22nd, 2009 at 03:08 AM. Reason: texas spelling spree....

Can't find your application Steve. Make sure its the US network: https://us.webgains.com/signup.html?action=stepzero
    Ryan Gilbert
    Webgains USA
    www.webgains.com

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread