CJ.com - Overstock.com Supremacy
    [First Post]

My name is Derrick and i'm signed up with CJ.com and have been for about 3 years. I signed up for there new Overstock.com program which I thought was a great oppurtunity. After 3 days of promoting on certain coupon sites (with permission) and through my own site having very good SEO and site submissions everywhere.

I get an e-mail from a Overstock.com team member saying that I will not be getting any commissions as I breach TOS for having a redirect link - instead of having to post a nasty URL that's typed. I said - "Well, I have searched through your TOS and it doesn't state that i'm doing anything wrong, is this a new rule and when will the TOS be updated?", I get a reply and all it says is this "Trust me, we don't allow it. Change it now and as you know all affiliates won't get commissions as they breach are TOS"

With that being said, If I don't end up getting my commission, I will be one unhappy CJ camper. Oh trust me, if they screw me I got there number and i'm not afraid to call it.

The TOS is located here: http://www.overstock.com/20810/static.html
    Last edited by myNOWproducts; May 1st, 2009 at 01:17 PM.

Question
    When you say Redirecting .. can you give a detail example ?
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

Basically, instead of posting a link such as qudoc.net/-214124234-12312423, I have it hosted in such fashion as nicedomain.com/overstock.html - so it looks nicer.

So the whole source/redirect for "nicedomain.com/overstock.html" is this

Also, i've clearly stated that the page it comes from is "nicedomain.com/overstockcom-reviews-coupons-information" - which is the "information" page about overstock.com and which the link can clearly be seen on there.

P.S: All URLS above are FAKE and aren't REAL affiliate links or URLs - All are made up to provide a clear example of my problem

Was your like placed on the same site as your redirect page or another site??

Keep in mind, it's pretty much like a review and coupons site and runs the same as any other coupon site.

On my page - I have my intitial site "nicedomain.com" on some other sites just for linking popularity - but other than that it's the same domain - so if you go to "nicedomain.com" you can click on a link Overstock.com which leads to "nicedomain.com/overstockcom-reviews-coupons-information" which then when they want to go to Overstock, the link is "nicedomain.com/overstock.html" which redirects them to my Overstock.com affiliate URL

What i'm doing is the same exact thing RetailMeNot and many other sites are doing.

Alot of affiliate use this approach it has been discussed here many times, I have never heard anyone disagree with doing it. Or losing sale because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kse
    Alot of affiliate use this approach it has been discussed here many times, I have never heard anyone disagree with doing it. Or losing sale because of it.
    Exactly, I thought this was a common practice unless clearly written in the TOS.

This is what explains the thread title - "Overstock.com Supremacy". I make a few sales, because i'm good - and there going to take it away because they can.

Anyone else got any ideas on what the heck is going on?

Do you own/control your example "nicedomain.com"?

Is the URL string your actual affiliate URL?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I got a similar email from them a couple of years ago. They wanted to know where my links were coming from or they would terminate.

I sent them a reply showing the original location of their links/clicks and the redirect page.
    They never responded to that email, but they didn't drop me either.

Yes, I totally own the domain "nicedomain.com" - I bought it, WhoIs information is mine - Hosting is under my name/billing.

The URL that I have in my redirect AKA "nicedomain.com/overstock.html" is mine - 100%, The link works just fine, like I said, heres an example of the source

That isn't my actual URL, as you're not aloud to post affiliate links and such. But that's how it's setup and it works and redirects just fine.

The problem is that you're redirecting through a meta redirect (hiding the referrer) instead of a 301 or php header redirect. Termination without warning isn't a good thing, but that's probably their reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    I got a similar email from them a couple of years ago. They wanted to know where my links were coming from or they would terminate.

I send them a reply showing the original location of their links/clicks and the redirect page.
    They never responded to that email, but they didn't drop me either.
    I've done the same thing a few hours ago, but I was getting the e-mail from Overstock.com and not CJ.com, although, i've sent an e-mail to both of them now explaining my fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    The problem is that you're redirecting through a meta redirect (hiding the referrer) instead of a 301 or php header redirect. Termination without warning isn't a good thing, but that's probably their reasoning.
    So if I do a 301 or PHP redirect then all shall be good?

If so, what's the difference?

Can you give an example of a 301 redirct that you could use in this case??

I would suggestion ..

Get Fiddler

its a HTML Debugger / tracker program ..

Install it ..

Open up IE .. go to one of ur pages

Have Fiddler running

Click on one of ur redirects and see if the Ref Page is coming thru ..

Ref page like the source of the link, not the redirect page ..

If u dont get the source page .. This is most likely why they will have issues / terminate ..

God Knows what / who / where your traffic is coming from so they iced you ..
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

Well, as I suspected.

I emailed them, not really mad but of course on the offensive of how they can make up rules out of the blue and they replied back fairly quickly, on the offensive, asking where I drive my traffic from and such. I explained to them that I do RSS feeds and such to promote my website in general and certain coupons that the companies I affiliatize for offer.

Quote Originally Posted by kse
    Can you give an example of a 301 redirct that you could use in this case??
    You could do something with .htaccess, but php would probably be the easiest:
    Code:
    The difference is that those don't mask the referrer, and will show your page with the link and content on it in the referrers to CJ publisher quality reps & to the advertiser, unlike the meta redirect method, that would show them a blank page automatically redirecting. That way looks more like forced page loads, or an attempt at hiding where traffic is really coming from.

Thanks Joshua,

So I use asp so I think the below would be the same:

<%
    ' Permanent redirection
    Response.Status = "301 Moved Permanently"
    Response.AddHeader "Location", http://www.cjdomain.com/click-12345-67890
    Response.End
    %>

You could do something with .htaccess, but php would probably be the easiest:
    Code:
    The difference is that those don't mask the referrer, and will show your page with the link and content on it in the referrers to CJ publisher quality reps & to the advertiser, unlike the meta redirect method, that would show them a blank page automatically redirecting. That way looks more like forced page loads, or an attempt at hiding where traffic is really coming from.

i just try to apply OS and get autoreject

Your application has been declined by this advertiser for one or more reasons. If you have a question please contact the advertiser through advertisers detail page within the account manager

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread