ABW Ambassador
    I'm having this issue in both IE and netscape at the moment..

Say for instance the web addy is http://domain.com/plugins/index.php - it turns itself into http://domaincomplugins/index.php/ and comes up with an error.

Has anyone out there ever seen this? I thought it was just IE being weird but then it did it in netscape too.

Yeurgh it sounds like a virus or Spyware. I know MyDoom.B mucks around with the HOSTS file, probably in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC or somewhere similar. Open it up in notepad and see if there are any odd entries.

Make sure you scan your system with an up-to-date virus scanner and spyware detector.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry Moo, it isn't either of those - I've never had a virus or 'accidently' installed spyware ever. I have the latest norton files and spybot S&D and I'm clean!

I just clicked on the link above with IE and it worked fine for me. Must be local to your system.

Chris

----------------------------
    <FONT SIZE=1>ezDatafeed.com - Merchants - Give your affiliates your datafeed outside the networks, without cost to the affiliate. Check out ezDatafeed.com for more information.
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....</font>

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I just clicked on the link above with IE and it worked fine for me. Must be local to your system. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Are you on medication or something?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It worked for me too.

Maybe YOU'RE on medication...

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Your just another victim of a browser hijacker using drive-by installs.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SamyT:
    Are you on medication or something?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhhhh, no.

<FONT SIZE=1>ezDatafeed.com - Merchants - Give your affiliates your datafeed outside the networks, without cost to the affiliate. Check out ezDatafeed.com for more information.
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....</font>

Geezum Girl, if you're not going to listen to the replies, they why do you post?

But then again, you seem to know everything already. Why haven't you figured it out? Of course the problem is not YOU!

But obviously it IS. And that attitude!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Add these to your browser hijacker tools...

HTAstop www.nsclean.com/htastop.html

Then get Hijackthis, Startuplist & CWshredder from this compiled list http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Did you check your HOSTS file?

________

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >I have the latest norton files and spybot
    >S&D and I'm clean!

Given that the latest virus prevents you from reaching Symantec's website to get updates, I'd be careful about being so sure of yourself.

Thanks to Windows almost complete lack of system security, and bugs in IE that are yet to be fixed, someone could send you a link that when you click on it, LOOKS like you're at symantec.com (due to the IE browser navigation bar spoofing bug), then give you a link there that LOOKS like it's a PDF file, but is actually an executable (the disguisable downloadable file bug) and that file, once executed, could replace your entire Nortons product with a hacked version that says it's uptodate and that you have no viruses, but is actually downloading more parasites onto your machine and allowing it to be used as a spam remote. (Oh God, I'm sounding like Mike). :^)

So, as long as you're still using Windows, you can THINK you're "safe and current" as much as you like, but there is NO WAY of really knowing if that is the case, short of formatting your HDD and re-installing from a clean MS Windows CD every day and using an EXTERNAL HARDWARE FIREWALL.

AND disabling activeX, and not using IE or Outlook ever again.

If you REALLY want to feel safe, installl Linux or swith to a Mac.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

ABW Ambassador
    OK...... you click on totally fake URLs and tell me it must be my local system? URLs I made up just to give an example of what's happening? You're some of the most computer literate people I know, why would you even do that?

Then when I question why on earth cditty would even do that you all react like I've done something stupid?

Give me a break people - why would you even click on URLs that clearly are just examples. I sleep and come back to find you all reacting at me - Zoe for instance, that wasn't called for.

Mike - my system is clean, I'm not a victim of drive by anything.

Dynamoo - of course when I read your post I checked the hosts file - it was normal.

Jesus, way to overreact people. Sheesh

Try this - have a look at the site via Megaproxy and see if you get the same result. If you do, it's likely to be the remote site. If you don't, then it's likely to be your PC.

________

SamyT, you're right. I'm sorry that we have tried to help you fix something that only you are having a problem with. Next time I see that you are having problems with something, I'll just move to the next post.

Chris

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> SamyT, you're right. I'm sorry that we have tried to help you fix something that only you are having a problem with. Next time I see that you are having problems with something, I'll just move to the next post. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Cditty, you're a programmer aren't you? Did you actually READ the URL I posted before you clicked on it and reported your "results" - surely you understand why I thought clicking on the links I posted was a weird thing to do.

Unless you think I am the owner of 'domain.com' - this is unbelievable.

Dynamoo - it was happening with one site of mine, through Megaproxy it's fine. I've just moved hosts with this site and it still hasn't settled down, it's hard for me to sort anything out until the domain is functioning properly.

Maybe if you put the new IP address of the host into the HOSTS file that might help.

Hmmm.

________

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks, I'll try that.

Actually, the worst problem I have at the moment is getting my subdomains to work with my new host. Currently they work without the www. but not with it. Unfortunately I have tonnes of inlinks that include the www... so people are getting 'page not found' etc

ABW Ambassador
    Not to put too fine a point on this, but you gave a URL as a "for instance" which often means: "example." An "example" is often an actual instance of a situation. It isn't necessarily used to mean a hypothetical situation. No wonder people clicked on it and were puzzled by the results you mentioned.

Regardless, Cditty hardly deserved the rude response you gave him for trying to help.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    This is RIDICULOUS! I've seen domain.com used DOZENS of times around here when people are giving examples, so I use it to keep the problem simple and a silly post is made saying domain.com works for him! AS IF you would click on that URL if you bothered to read it first - it's a total joke.

ABW Ambassador
    OK, it was a joke, a joke lost on some of us less intelligent members. Dopes that we are, I guess we deserve your rude comments.

I agree with Chris. Will skip over your posts in the future so as to not offend you with our ignorance. I'm sure you'll find some worthy enough to help you.

Wayne

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    The correct domain to use for example URL's is NOT domain.com

It's example.com

Specifically set aside for this purpose by IANA.

>Mike - my system is clean, I'm not a victim
    >of drive by anything.

Did you not read my post?

How do you know you're not a victim? Have you got a super-dooper 100%-tight version of MS Windows that hasn't been released onto the market?

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

ABW Ambassador
    Grow up Wayne. Chris doing something that showed no common sense whatsoever was NOT helping.

I can't believe how ridiculously out of hand this has gotten - just forget it, clearly asking for any sort of help around here was a mistake.

Regardless, thanks to Dynamoo for actually helping with my problem.

I think the key point is that we tried to help and you jumped on me and was rude about it. So I misread your post. Have you not ever misread anything? Guess not.

Next time, try pointing out that someone made a mistake and didn't read your post correctly. As for me, I'm outta here and taking the high ground.

Chris

ps...Thanks Wayne and others for jumping in. Let's take our childish actions and go play in the snow.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread