Greetings,
    I have a site for a physical product and I'm preparing to venture into affiliate marketing for the first time.
    One thing that seems worthwhile is directing people to membership type sites for the recurring commissions.
    My question is this;
    As opposed to setting up a webage with multiple listings, can you simply take out a domain name, list it with el-cheapo hosting, and direct people directly to someone else's site.
    I'm just curious if this is an option to setting up a site.
    Someone else's sales letter should sell their product better than a lead-in page and it could be worthwhile with high monthly ticket membership sites. For example, I know of a $97.00 dollar a month site just opening. I'd be thinking of experimenting with some Google Adwords.

Or is this considered deceptive, unethical or whatever.

Just curious. I don't know if this is a normal practice.

Any direction is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Jerry

Hi!

I am not sure but I think what you are asking is can you market a product or service with a webpage with the sole purpose of directing the visitors to the company website.

Yes, you can do that and many affiliates do. Most companies that have affiliate programs allow search engine marketing as long as you don’t use the company name. For example, LandsEnd probably wouldnt approve of you buying clicks on a search engine for the search term "LandsEnd" for the purpose of directing the visitors to the LandsEnd website to make commissions. However, when you use a search term like "mens pants" or something related to what they sell then it is usually fine. Just make sure you know what the company allows.

It depends on the company though. Some companies want the clicks any way they can get them. For example, one company I market for lets you buy clicks for their name and specifically say so in the affiliate guidelines. A good affiliate network will outline what each company allows and forbids.

Whatever you do, dont buy domain names that simulate the company name. For example, for EToys.com dont buy E-Toys.com. This practice can get you into trouble.

Instead of buying multiple domain names, my advice is to have one domain name with multiple pages. Its less expensive and easier to maintain. Plus company affiliate programs come and go. There is not need in you buying a domain name and finding out the next week that the company you were going to market is dropping their affiliate program.

I hope this helps.

Kimberly

[This message was edited by valenkim on January 16, 2004 at 01:23 AM.]

[This message was edited by valenkim on January 16, 2004 at 01:24 AM.]

Hi Kimberly,
    Thanks much for your reply. All information is usefull at this stage. I'll give an exampe of what I was wondering.
    Say there was a website called www.marketingtipsbykimberly.com

Say people lined up to pay a $100.00 a month membership fee.

Say I wanted to promote that site because my check from clickbank would be a $50.00 commission per month commission.

I would set up a page on autopilot, probably for a minimal Google Adwords cost per click, listed under a thousand plus keywords and walk away.

My question is this;
    Do I even need a webpage.
    Could I take out a domain name, place the Google Adwords and direct the traffic directly to www.marketingtipsbykimberly.com

I would really only be taking someone elses product in whole, buying advertising and directing traffic for a commission sale.

I don't know if this is a normal practice.

If it was, it could be profitable with something that has a high monthly membership rate. The one fellow I know will charge $97.00 per month membership fee and if my commission was $40.00 per month per signup, it could represent an average of $200.00 per signup on a 100% automated site.
    It's easy enough to setup a page to hype his product but his page would probablly do a better job of closing a sale and would eliminate a step.
    I'm really looking for what my options are to setup a large number of totally automated mini-sites that add up to something worthwhile.

Hope I explained my question better this time and thanks again for getting back.

Jerry

There are sites you absolutely can't do that with..

There are also affilate programs that you absolutely can't do that with...

Without a valid url, you might even run into the problem if signing up with a Linkshare, Commission Junction or even Google or Overture..

There have been quite a few reports lately that Google has "people" clicking around -- and they are blocking url's like what you are describing.

There's no "laws" against having a url that re-directs to your big $$$ sign up.

"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
    - Yogi Berra

I am as new here as anyone can be. I started questioning others about how anyone finds any of my 3 websites, the best answer was to use verisign to register a simple url that has to do with shopping and saving. Does this make sense? When I got amazon.com using their traffic monitor, we had over 6,600,000 clicks on each site for 3 straight months, all of this parasite is new to me.And with my cost of living going through the roof, with medical and funeral expenses for my wife, i really need to find out what's happening. We get plenty of approvals, no email lists, so who is doing all of the clicking. We dropped all of cj, because we know we had a lot of sales there, and no checks.Please remember i am new. I had a great retail design consulting businessoffline for over 45 years, but old age, and some military souveners returned.

jersey jim 5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JAMES T. MONROE:
    I am as new here as anyone can be.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you new or drunk?

What the heck are you trying to say?

You need to use a grammer chcker or get sober not sure which. DAMN

SandraR

no, i am not drunk, or need a grammar checker, just someone that can type, i am only trying to learn here, with poor vision, it isn't easy.
    jj

jersey jim 5

Animal Lover
    Give the guy a break - he's just lost his wife for crying out loud. I don't think I'd be able to think or type coherently either if I've just lost a loved one.

I thought we're all here to support each other.

Oscar

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JAMES T. MONROE:
    no, i am not drunk, or need a grammar checker, just someone that can type, i am only trying to learn here, with poor vision, it isn't easy.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

James, sorry about your wife and thank you for your military service too. Many people out there forget that freedom isn't free. I think everyone should do a few years in the military in service to their country, which ever country you're from (that ought wind some folks up here).

My advise to you is read read read everything you can find on affiliate marking. It's a whole new world and you are "newly born" into it. I too am fairly new to affiliate marketing but making good progress. Educate yourself by reading ABW as well as other resources. Don't be afraid to fail either. It happens to us all. Hang in there and don't let the sour pusses here discourage you.

"Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
    - Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

oscar,

How the heck were we supposed to know that he lost his spouse? Chill out

He is typing like he is drunk and even you have to admit that.

Personally if I lost my spouse the last place I would be is on a forum asking questions about building my business.

SandraR

ABW Ambassador
    You got 6.6 million visitors and no sales? Maybe this is not the business for you. Or maybe your links are set up incorrectly. Something is wrong there.

Use the stats analyzer supplied by your host, or download one and figure out where all that traffic came from.

You give too littl einfo to really understand what is going on.

Animal Lover
    Sandra,

if you've taken the time to read his post above yours thoroughly you would've noticed that he's written :

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And with my cost of living going through the roof, with medical and funeral expenses for my wife, i really need to find out what's happening <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oscar

When all jobs dried up, i felt that since i had a long career in retailing and segign, i might be able to earn a little extra income online. When all of our benefits wer dropped, i knew i had to. when my wife passed away, the medical and funeral costs are too high. when we were approved by a lot of merchants, including amazon.com they gave the traffic graph. i didn't know about parasites that may infect my websites or ads.now i do.the traffic figures were accurate. there is nothing wrong with the websites, home pages, etc. but these parasites may be it. we were earning some income. this is why i joined the forum to learn, not be questioned by so many winners.
    jj

jersey jim 5

ABW Ambassador
    Well welcome to ABW, but your traffic stats are wrong, you don't go to Alexa for that. What you're seeing is the Alexa Traffic Rank not how many visitors your site is getting. That would explain the 6,600,600 Thats your Alexa Traffic Rank.

I work in lounge pants

Animal Lover
    James,

if you're getting that amount of traffic through, have you considered putting up google adsense on your sites?

Oscar

Animal Lover
    Trust,

that would make sense. James, go to the cpanel in your sites (http://www.domainname.com/cpanel) and then key in your username and password and then look for awstats there. If you can't find it, the servers who host your sites should be able to give you some support and you can gauge the amount of traffic coming through.

Oscar

i just di, the computer experts i know, sent me 2 downloads, one from google, they have been in this business for years. when i had to train young beginners at the retail corp. i worked for, i gave them a little slack, especially the 3 young ladies, they needed the help more then the guys.

jersey jim 5

Animal Lover
    That's great James, I hope these friends of yours will have it all figured out for you.

Oscar

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread