Thumbs down JC Whitney Has Teeth Whitening Adds On Every Page??
    Ok i was a little shocked to say the least

I decided i was going to put up an autoparts store and i went to JC Whitneys site to see if it was above board and not playing nasty leaky affiliate games and i was pretty annoyed with what i found.

When i viewed their site from outside the usa i got banners down the right side with teeth whitening adds and below it what appeared to be a google image banner, so i thought hmm wonder if this is for shoppers outside the usa that they dont ship to (still a dodgie tatic either way)

So then i tried the same url on a proxy and there was no adds on the right side but a banner at the bottom by the footer with teeth whitening adds also.

the url when u hover the adds was
    clk.atdmt dot com which im sure i have seen as a tracking url on one of the affiliate networks.

I caught another major auto parts merchant doing this last yr and when i complained they removed them.

It blows me away that a company like JC Whitney would do this

Its hard enough for affiliates to make sales in a recession without the merchant plastering adds all over there site that arent even autoparts related and even if they were i would be just as annoyed.

I took screen shots of all these adds as proof and normally i email the merchant and ask whats up with that, but its name and shame this time.

I can imagine there must be a few affiliates out there that are promoting thses guys so its a heads up to all of you currently promoting them and anyone else who is thinking of doing so(i sure wont be now)

I looked myself - but don't see any ads like that.

Maybe Spyware?
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c....+&btnG=Search

ABW Ambassador
    I just checked...yes, there are two huge banners on their home page right side bar. One for CapitalOne and one for FordAdvantagePlan. Another huge banner at the bottom for LifeLock.

There are leaking banners all over the JCWhitney pages...

Thumbs down
    Ah, looked again and now I see the ugly yellow teeth ads.

15 years and counting
    Why do you keep promoting crooked merchants? Let them rot in hell.

JC Whitney is associated with all the parasites they can find.
    eBates, uPromise, shopathome, OneCause... You name it...
    Don't be astonished if they try a new stunt to steal your traffic. Read the old threads about JC Whitney.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I used to make really good money with JCW, but I complained about parasites, they did nothing, so I removed the links until they cleaned up their act and sent an occasional nudge to try and get them to straighten up. Last year they removed me for lack of sales, lol. I sent them tens of thousands of clickthroughs per year when they were clean.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

If you want to do autoparts ... do them as an EBAY affiliate.

If you have some solid traffic with actual interest in buying some part, EBAY is the way to go ... times are tough, but more than a few people need to fix their cars or have them fixed.

There are a beaucoup number of cars on the road ... and more than a few were made by Fix It Again Toney, Found On The Road Dead, and Garbage Motors.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Why do you keep promoting crooked merchants? Let them rot in hell.

JC Whitney is associated with all the parasites they can find.
    eBates, uPromise, shopathome, OneCause... You name it...
    Don't be astonished if they try a new stunt to steal your traffic. Read the old threads about JC Whitney.
    I used to do very well with JC Whitney a few years back. Then all of a sudden, my sales plunged. I've gradually replaced their links with other auto merchants other than a handful of pages...Now they are gone.

Letting parasites steal commission from legitimate affiliates, leaking affiliates traffic from their own site..., I'm wondering how far these crooked merchants will go

15 years and counting
    I did very well, too, for years. They had an AM active on ABW for a while. All was well until he left then I saw the parasites coming, one by one and the convertion dropped more and more. It was time to do something else.
    The parasites are feeding on other affiliates traffic. To stop promoting crooked merchants is the best way to starve them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketfuel
    the url when u hover the adds was
    clk.atdmt dot com which im sure i have seen as a tracking url on one of the affiliate networks.
    Atdmt is the Atlas ad manager/ad server domain - It's a popular solution now owned by Microsoft advertising. These aren't "affiliate deals", they're either ads from other networks like Doubleclick (CPM based, most likely) or direct deals. It's standard ad space.

Not that it makes anything better, but I'm just clarifying what it is.

Not related to this particular merchant, but I definitely noticed that I've been seeing a LOT of those "yellow/whiten teeth" ads in a variety of different Google AdSense slots. I'm not sure what this reflects -- maybe the advertiser is bidding some absurd amount, or Google has determined that these ads draw a phenomenal CTR -- but the frequency of these ads has moved from "unexpected" to "surprising" to "creepy."

I think this is just the latest 'hot' marketing gimmick. There is already a backlash forming against scam (nameofwomans)teeth type sites.

Good Post
    If you have some solid traffic with actual interest in buying some part, EBAY is the way to go ...
    Last edited by Trust; July 17th, 2009 at 02:19 PM.

>> do autoparts ... do them as an EBAY affiliate.

thanks for this idea, i will give it a try

Affiliate Manager GlobalGolf-Amanda's Avatar
    JCW IS an affiliate, at least in the LinkConnector program. They joined our program and ran one of our banners a few months ago, on their checkout page.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Amanda Moralis
    GlobalGolf.com | GolfShoesOnly.com | TaylorMadeGolfPreOwned.com
    [URL=https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2132449]Join our affiliate program![/URL] | [URL=http://globalgolfaff.blogspot.com/]GlobalGolf & GSO Affiliate Blog[/URL] | [URL=http://feeds.feedburner.com/ggaffs/]Coupon Feed[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGolf-Amanda
    > "JCW IS an affiliate, at least in the LinkConnector program. They joined our program and ran one of our banners a few months ago, on their checkout page." <
    I assume that you mean they put your banner on the "thank you" page displayed after the checkout process was complete.

An affiliate link on a "thank you" page is probably not a huge issue for most affiliates.

Affiliate links, AdSense ads, links to competing publishers (affiliates), and other "leaks" on other merchant-site pages (especially on pages which affiliates use as "landing pages") are a much more serious problem.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    ..... sad just sad.....
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Affiliate Manager GlobalGolf-Amanda's Avatar
    I assume that you mean they put your banner on the "thank you" page displayed after the checkout process was complete.
    Yes, my apologies, I got that wrong. The banner was actually on the order status page.

But, yikes! They have a huge Travelocity banner and an AutoByTel banner on their homepage now. Both are through DoubleClick.

I once worked for an ecommerce site that decided to put garish ads for other companies all over their homepage. I left shortly after the CEO started a meeting with "Well, good news! Your paychecks won't be bouncing this week!"

The company went bankrupt about a year after that.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Amanda Moralis
    GlobalGolf.com | GolfShoesOnly.com | TaylorMadeGolfPreOwned.com
    [URL=https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2132449]Join our affiliate program![/URL] | [URL=http://globalgolfaff.blogspot.com/]GlobalGolf & GSO Affiliate Blog[/URL] | [URL=http://feeds.feedburner.com/ggaffs/]Coupon Feed[/URL]

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread