ABW Ambassador
    with one of my merchants I have the following problem: the number of visitors increases but no sales were recorded, although I did a test sale.

When I looked occasinally into my temp.internet files, I found a JS in it from Urchin Tracking. This tracking module was put on my PC unknowingly and is reporting everything I am doing with my PC.
    Another question which s.o. can answer me possibly: Does this tracking system overwrtie or eleminate cookies? As I found out this tracking is based on two things.
    1st it sets cookies
    and
    2nd it delivers browser based information.

Usually I make a decent income from that merchant, but as they redisigned their website and make use of that tracking device it seems to be cut.

carneol

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Notice their has been complete silence from the networks regarding clickstream datamining applications used by them and the major merchants able to afford them. All these applications intercept the affiliate referral tracking cookies and just like the Overture conversion tracking cookie they can upset final checkout reporting.

This also is a reason Norton blocks networks links as they know the Ad Whore merchants use web bugs and clickstream datamining to spy on shopper habits. We feel the brunt of this advertising mindset by lower conversions and spread of BHO's who bypass network links.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    When I enter the website of that merĀ“chant a so called " sniffer " ist downloaded, and I believe that this sniffer is coincident with the stop of sales.

carneol

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    can you give us a URL to look at?

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

"But Jimmy had fancy plans, and pants to match"

My understanding is that the Urchin Tracking Module is used by sites who run Urchin's reporting software, and is used to more accurately track users and site activity. It shouldn't be able to affect other sites' cookies, nor is it designed to.

See http://www.urchin.com for more information.

FWIW, I run Urchin's software on my site weblogs, though I don't use the UTM part of it personally. Mainly because I've been too lazy to add it to all my pages.

ABW Ambassador

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread