Summary Draft of Affiliate Bill of Rights
    Here is what has currently been proposed for an Affiliate Bill of Rights. if you recall, not legally binding but essentially this will be a pledge or agreement to conduct a business relationship based on some basic concepts to protect all parties. Mostly it is clarity of policies and TOS, mutual respect and communication.

Comments and changes?

List has been written using http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...8&page=1&pp=25 and emails received.

1. Concise and complete Terms of Service - suggested use of AV TOS template or at least agreement to include all info
    2. Advance notice of changes and email update notification when Merchant Terms of Service change
    3. Advance notice of changes and email update notification when Network Terms of Service change
    4. Sufficient notice (14 days) of program changes (ie change commission rate or cookie duration, notice of program closing)
    5. Email notification when merchants go offline/have no funds
    6. Merchant, program manager, affiliate, and network agree to have valid email and respond within reasonable time (2-3? business days), Suggested use of back up email or alternate contact info.
    7. Merchant, program manager, affiliate and network agree to monitor tracking and inform each other of issues and concerns. All parties to work together to identify and correct issues.
    8. Affiliate will not be retroactively deactivated for any reason other than fraud.
    9. Legitimate commissions will not be reversed for any reason other than fraud. Reason for reversal will be clearly explained.
    10. Affiliate's content, business model and other information will not be shared or used for any purpose.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; May 4th, 2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Thanks Mellie!

9. Legitimate commissions will not be reversed for any reason other than fraud. Reason for reversal will be clearly explained.
    Would like to add this in parenthesis (chargebacks excluded).

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Suggested use of back up email or alternate contact info.
    I'd change or to and
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

http and a telephoto
    Agree with Chris, plus:
    1. Concise and complete Terms of Service - suggested use of AV TOS template or at least agreement to include all info
    Maybe add:
    1a. Concise and complete PPC Policy - suggested use of AV PPC template, with appropriate time frames for notification of changes etc.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Mellie this is great!

Thanks for investing so much time into this

On number 10, it might be advisable to add: "unless permission is granted in writing by the affiliate" or something to the effect. I have had 1 or 2 affiliates who did not mind, in fact, encouraged it..weird but true.

About number 9...

Just to be clear, I am not sure this is a broad enough reason in lead generation.

In lead gen, a bad lead may not be "fraud" in the sense that it was an attempt to mislead the merchant, but could just have bad contact info. I wonder if "fraud" needs to be expanded or explained for this purpose? I don't want someone to feel misled about reasons for reversals.

Thanks again Mellie and everyone who has worked on this!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Revised number 10.

1. Concise and complete Terms of Service - suggested use of AV TOS template or at least agreement to include all information.
    2. Advance notice of changes and email update notification when Merchant Terms of Service change.
    3. Advance notice of changes and email update notification when Network Terms of Service change.
    4. Sufficient notice (14 days) of program changes (ie change of commission rate or cookie duration, notice of program closing).
    5. Email notification when merchants go offline/have no funds.
    6. Merchant, program manager, affiliate, and network agree to have valid email and respond within reasonable time (2-3? business days). Suggested use of back up email and alternate contact info.
    7. Merchant, program manager, affiliate and network agree to monitor tracking and inform each other of issues and concerns. All parties to work together to identify and correct issues.
    8. Affiliate will not be retroactively deactivated for any reason other than fraud.
    10. Affiliate's content, business model and other information will not be shared or used for any purpose without affiliate's expressed written permisson.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy

Matt good points on lead gen which can be a "different animal" than retail based programs.

There has been some discussion about merchants rights in respect to affiliates. Should that be melded into the affiliates bill of rights or should it be a separate document, conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Maybe add:
    1a. Concise and complete PPC Policy - suggested use of AV PPC template, with appropriate time frames for notification of changes etc.

The TOS template or guideline will have all the detailed information, including PPC guidelines. Trying to keep the BOR concise. I will make sure this is in the TOS template/guideline.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

Will start new thread on merchant bill of rights.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

How would this be-

9. Legitimate commissions will not be reversed for any reason other than fraud; and in case of leads invalid information. Reason for reversal will be clearly explained.

or

9. Legitimate commissions will not be reversed for any reason other than fraud or invalid lead information. Reason for reversal will be clearly explained.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

Quote Originally Posted by mellie
    How would this be-

9. Legitimate commissions will not be reversed for any reason other than fraud; and in case of leads invalid information. Reason for reversal will be clearly explained.

or

9. Legitimate commissions will not be reversed for any reason other than fraud or invalid lead information. Reason for reversal will be clearly explained.
    I like the top version better, the bottom version could be interpreted by a retail merchant to be only about leads.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

How would this be-

or

I like the 2nd one for its easier read but the first for its clarity. How about:

Legitimate commissions will not be reversed for any reason other than fraud or all invalid contact information on leads. Reason for reversal will be clearly explained.

I added the words "all" and "contact" to prevent a merchant from reversing payment if the person puts that they have a 1996 Buick when its a 1997 by mistake. That is ridiculous. And if the phone is valid and the email bounces, who freaking cares? Give the affiliate credit! That is what a legit merchant does.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Legitimate commissions will not be reversed for any reason other than fraud or all invalid contact information on leads. Reason for reversal will be clearly explained.
    Would change the last line to: Reason for reversal must be clearly explained.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    Thanks Mellie!Would like to add this in parenthesis (chargebacks excluded).
    If by chargebacks, you are referring to refunds, I salute it.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I thought I read somewhere about reversals for canceled orders or returned merchandise which would qualify for legitimate reversals since they are not fraud. At least not usually.

Re leads:
    How does the affiliate know if all the contact information is invalid other than an email from the merchant?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

This could potentially open the door to a broad range of subjective claims on either side. If an affiliate knowingly violates the specific TOS (which is proposed to be included as one of the rights in this draft), I assume that this would be fraud as it was knowingly violated? If the affiliate violates the bill of rights by not providing a legitimate working email address at the time of signup, is that fraud? If a TOS includes a requirement that all web sites upon which an affiliate promotes the merchants program must be submitted for review and prior approval, and the affiliate knowingly ignores it, is that fraud?

I wonder if it might be better stated to say something like:

An affiliate will not be retroactively deactivated unless the affiliate knowingly violates the TOS or engages in any practice that is fraudulent, such as deceptive trade practices etc.?
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

4. Sufficient notice (14 days) of program changes (ie change of commission rate or cookie duration, notice of program closing).

This is sometimes not possible.

A merchant may get an unannounced cost increase notification from a supplier, notification that particular product(s) have been discontinued without prior notice, a program manager can be given the axe by the merchant without prior notice, etc etc. Maybe it would be better to apply it as:

Wherever possible, merchant / program manager will provide a minimum of 14 days prior notice of changes to commissions, program closing, cookie duration, or any other changes that could affect affiliates.

1. Concise and complete Terms of Service - suggested use of AV TOS template or at least agreement to include all information.
    2. Advance notice of changes and email update notification when Merchant Terms of Service change.
    3. Advance notice of changes and email update notification when Network Terms of Service change.
    5. Email notification when merchants go offline/have no funds.
    6. Merchant, program manager, affiliate, and network agree to have valid email and respond within reasonable time (2-3? business days). Suggested use of back up email and alternate contact info.
    9. Legitimate commissions will not be reversed for any reason other than fraud or chargeback, and in the case of leads all invalid contact information. Reason for reversal must be clearly explained.
    10. Affiliate's content, business model and other information will not be shared or used for any purpose without affiliate's expressed written permisson.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Re leads:
    How does the affiliate know if all the contact information is invalid other than an email from the merchant?
    That is a tough one. The fact is in most lead gen areas it is just simply going to be around 1-5%. Certain types of marketing (i.e. incentives or co-reg) are going to have higher reversal rates.

At HometownQuotes, we would give the affiliate the reason why in our own terms such as: "Called both phone numbers and sent email on 5/7/2009. Both numbers are disconnected and email bounced."

They could then view reports on reversals by campaign and eliminate their high-reversal campaigns.
    Matt McWilliams

Mellie and others, there is one thing that has been on my mind about reversals.

In regard to lead gen, it has to do with the customer being attracted to the lead app through a violation of the TOS.

At HometownQuotes, for example, we did not allow affiliates to use incentive marketing. So, if the lead was generated through incentives, a violation of the TOS, then can that lead be reversed?

The same could be said for a lead or sale for that matter generated by a violation of the keyword bidding rules, etc.

Is this presumed or does it need to be said?

Is this better suited for the merchant Bill of Rights thread?
    Matt McWilliams

This is a tough one Matt. If you are getting paid for the lead then you should pay the affiliate. But, if they are clearly violating the TOS and you got paid do you pass a commission on to the affiliate? My answer is NO if you have ended the relationship. This then begs the question, if the affiliate generated leads or sales within the TOS and the merchant deactivates the affiliate, can they expect payment? I answer YES and then the Affiliate Voice would put pressure on the merchant in defense of the affiliate.

This is a tough one Matt. If you are getting paid for the lead then you should pay the affiliate. But, if they are clearly violating the TOS and you got paid do you pass a commission on to the affiliate?
    I say no. If the affiliate violates the TOS, particularly through a keyword bidding violation, then it may NOT have made the merchant any money that it otherwise would not have.

The same is true for an incentivized lead that violates the TOS. While the merchant makes money technically, such leads require tons of investigation, staff time, and cause problems in the lead quality, which cause problems down the road. The affiliate should not be paid for such a problem.

This then begs the question, if the affiliate generated leads or sales within the TOS and the merchant deactivates the affiliate, can they expect payment? I answer YES and then the Affiliate Voice would put pressure on the merchant in defense of the affiliate.
    Definitely they should be paid. All good leads and sales should be paid for, regardless of the status of the relationship.
    Matt McWilliams

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread