Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Successful Low Bids Using Priceline?
    I was planning on using Priceline to bid on 3+ star hotels in St. Pete Beach, FL or Clearwater, FL for our upcoming visit. I was checking out biddingfortravel dot com to get an idea on what bids were successful by other users.

Do you know of any other similar sites that list successful priceline bids?

I've used both betterbidding . com and bidontravel . com.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I have been reading that many of the FL hotels charge you $25 per night for a "Resort Amenity Fee" that is not included in your priceline bid.

That's pretty steep if it's true. I don't remember that from my last trip to Orlando, but that was a few years ago. For the dozens of times I've used Priceline, I don't think I've ever had to pay any additional taxes or fees at the hotel upon checkout. But I haven't used them for Florida.

I've fairly recently booked NYC hotels all through priceline. I stayed at Novotel, Sheraton Towers, and Sheraton Manhattan all 3 stars+ in great locations if you are a tourist or would like to pretend that you are

My rooms at Novotel & Sheraton Towers were huge -- I could have easily shared the rooms with a man but as fate would have it I had no one to share them with [That's what I would like to bid on: a handsome man to be my date in Manhattan ]

My room at Sheraton Manhattan was smaller than my other 2 experiences but I was paying $99/nt for a hotel with a very nice indoor swimming pool plus an excellent fitness center with televisions embedded into the treadmills/cardio equipment -- I was very happy and didn't have a man anyway so ...

The way I came up with numbers is I went to hotels.com to see the rates they were charging [I am familiar with some of the hotels anyway since I've stayed in some with friends etc...I noticed that Hotel Pennsylvania was charging $149/nt. I had stayed there twice prior to the bedbug years -- I don't know if they cleared that problem up ] and I just bid lower numbers; I had not heard of a forum called "biddingfortravel."

My priceline tip is start with a high star request and a lowball bid because if the bid is too low then priceline urges you to raise the bid.

In fact I was criticized for making my bids "too high" according to a family member. I was told that hotels jumped at my 2 previous bids because they couldn't wait to get the money [My previous stays were $135/nt for 3 nts and then $130/4nts -- I was having major renovations done to my apt. and had no bathroom to use at home -- I live commuting distance to NYC so I know it well]
    Last edited by Rhia7; May 4th, 2009 at 07:15 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I typed slowly the first time and the Priceline system messaged me as soon as I typed in $1 -- the system told me that I wouldn't be successful with a $1 bid and I was strongly encouraged to raise my bid -- so the moral of the story is: state your preferences for geographic location and the amount of stars then start with a low lowball -- you can't go wrong. The system will tell you to raise your bid, the system won't shoot

Each time I started a bid I wanted check-in within the same evening -- I'm a train ride away from NYC and can be in GCT in half an hour.

My bids for $135, $130, $99 were each accepted within 30 seconds to a minute -- so don't overbid -- I didn't have trouble checking a couple of hours later.
    The way to play with the system is to bid for exclusive neighborhoods such as NYC's Upper East Side and to combine that with star ratings of the hotels but once there is a match there is no more playing around -- with priceline you've just been assigned to a hotel -- they have your credit card information up front, so make sure you are bidding on what you want because you might "win the bid."
    Once you are assigned a hotel, Priceline will take your money via your credit info for the nights/package you bid on whether you show or not.
    If you are supposed to check-in on a certain date and you don't, Priceline will penalize you by canceling the package but taking your money -- so you better be there!
    I was lucky that I enjoyed each place I stayed
    Last edited by Rhia7; May 4th, 2009 at 07:49 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread