ABW Ambassador
    How can you tell if a blog comment is spam or not?
    I started blogging on one of my site a couple of months ago. No comments on my posts so far until today I received a Wordpress Moderate notice email. There is one comment on my newest post waiting for my approval.

By looking at the comment info, it's just a short commendation comment. The commenter has a US IP address. I don't see anything wrong other than there is a link pointing to the commenter's website - an article subscription type of site.

My questions is: how can you tell if a blog comment is spam? Will you allow one link back to the commenter's site or somewhere else?

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Most spam is obvious, but when it isn't, ask yourself if the comment actually responds to the content in your post actually participating in the conversation or if it is a me too comment.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    Most spam is obvious,
    You mean like they try to drop whole bunch of links or something?

but when it isn't, ask yourself if the comment actually responds to the content in your post actually participating in the conversation or if it is a me too comment.
    That's the tricky part. Since it is the first comment on my posts and with all those "like your style", "cool ideas" type of words...I was a little flattered that somebody finally noticed my posts

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly
    "like your style", "cool ideas" type of words...
    I get a lot of those, with a bunch of links together with flattery

Lovley product, can get cheaper from this "link"
    My Mom gets better stuff from "link"
    My coupon gives you a better discount "link"
    and a lot more...
    I even got a spamy coment from one of the merchants I am promoting...

I only consider coments without links or the ones that seem genuine enough
    - Sunil

[SIZE=1]The impossibility of today is a hint of what shall be...[/SIZE]

Mayfly, I hate to be the one to say it, but it's spam, if the user linked to their site and left a 5 word or less comment.

I get a ton of comments saying things like "very well put", "I agree", "I will recommend this site", "good infos"(sic). The spammers have smartened up and know they can't drop links like they used to, so now they use a link in the user name field and post an innocuous comment in hopes of it being approved.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Spammers have a tendency to post exactly the same comment on several blogs. If you wait about 24hrs then google a phrase from the post using "" quotation marks you will often see the same spam appearing many times -- even the spelling mistakes are repeated.

Bob

You mean like they try to drop whole bunch of links or something?

That's the tricky part. Since it is the first comment on my posts and with all those "like your style", "cool ideas" type of words...I was a little flattered that somebody finally noticed my posts
    "like your style" and "cool ideas" are what I consider "me too" comments. They aren't commenting about your post. In fact, they probably didn't even bother to read more than the title.

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you all for your great tips. Yeah, I think it is a spam comment. I've approved him even though there is a link in the user name field like Knight mentioned, just try to be nice, and yes the flattery worked too

But I hate spammers. Now I need to go back and delete his comment, and add his email address on my spam list.

Quote Originally Posted by Donk
    Spammers have a tendency to post exactly the same comment on several blogs. If you wait about 24hrs then google a phrase from the post using "" quotation marks you will often see the same spam appearing many times -- even the spelling mistakes are repeated.
    Bob
    I did a search this morning...wow!
    What supprises me is all the commenters using the same sentences are having different user names. Are those costume made comments for spammers or what?

"like your style" and "cool ideas" are what I consider "me too" comments. They aren't commenting about your post. In fact, they probably didn't even bother to read more than the title.
    Hay lostdeviant, you hurt my feelings... just kidding .

Oh well, I guess I need to work harder on blogging(I'm still brand new on this field). Hopefully someday I will get some real genuine comments on my posts

Hay lostdeviant, you hurt my feelings... just kidding .

Oh well, I guess I need to work harder on blogging(I'm still brand new on this field). Hopefully someday I will get some real genuine comments on my posts
    Don't feel bad, I have only had one real verified non-spam comment in the last year!

ABW Ambassador
    Don't feel bad, I have only had one real verified non-spam comment in the last year!
    Oops, I mean "hey" not "hay"

Thought experienced bloggers like you would get tons of good comments daily...Now you make me feel a whole lot better

Mayfly, I'm pretty brutal when it comes to comments on any of my sites. Knowing that more than 95% of all comments left on blogs are spam, I will delete comments if they fail any of these tests:

- Is the name field really a name (as compared to something like "Travel India")?
    - Is it an obvious link-drop comment?
    - Is it flattery for the sake of leaving a link? (example: "Your information is great! I wrote about this too at -link-")
    - Does it add to the conversation?

If you feel bad about removing comments that fall in to that gray area, you may want to do something that I saw on a blog recently. Right above the comment box in bold text it said something like: "I reserve the right to remove any comments that do not follow the Rules of Commenting." This linked to a page that laid out the rules that the site owner wanted visitors to play by.
    Eric Tyler
    Eric [at] FinancialNetworkPro [dot] com
    [URL=http://financialnetworkpro.com]http://financialnetworkpro.com[/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for your great tips, Eric.

I did feel a little bad when I deleted that comment. Like I said, I'm fairly new on blogging. Basically I would welcome any comments(commendation or critisism) as long as the commenters are not trying to drop too many links.

It's probably a good idea to add some kind of commenting rules along the way.

superCool has been accused of spam before after leaving a very relevant and meaningful reply to a blog post. just because someone adds a link to their name doesn't mean they are spamming. after taking the time to leaving a real message, superCool would prefer that the blog owner simply remove the link if they don't like it. you have control of the entire comment so do what you want with it (IMO).

you will get a lot of BS spam like what you mentioned....and it does feel funny to delete them when you REALLY want some comments

good luck blogging - just wait for the real spam to arrive!!

ABW Ambassador
    SuperCool, I'm sorry to hear that somebody accused you of spam which in my opinion shouldn't be, especially for "a very relevant and meaningful comment" as you stated.

In my case, I googled the exact sentences the commenter used, there were 1000s of exact matches comments came up, which convinced me his sole purpose was to drop a link. So I deleted it after initial approved it.

I wouldn't mind the commenters leave a link or two to their names at all as long as the comments somewhat related to my posts, or could simply be a flattery in their own words.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    I have WordPress too and 99.999999999% of the replies are Spam auto-bots.

If replies are important to you, and most won't be, accept a few of them that seem to be on the same page as the post.

Most of the crud coming in is harmless.

Visit the link before you OK it.

I don't get too many quality posts in my blog either.

Just remember that the blog post is a new page in the guts of your site & that if you name it properly, post the URL where it will get indexed quickly, have the right heading and use the right keywords in the content, it will get well indexed in the search engines.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

ABW Ambassador
    Types of spam I get on my blogs:

- me too, I agree
    - flattery, kind words, but no details
    - completely off topic
    - copy/paste from an article
    - subscribed to rss, add to reader
    - what kind of theme
    - bunch of links
    - same comment for several posts
    - same IP address, different names

If it gets bad, activate the Akismet plugin and/or require people to register. Also, some people have a comment policy that doesn't allow for keywords in user names.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

I got this one on our blog the other day in response to our twitter weekly digest post:
    "It was interesting. You seem very knowledgeable in your field."

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread