Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last month I had a bunch of members from another coupon forum come over and register at my site after they had a falling out with the other site owner.
    Their falling out had nothing to me and hey, I am not gonna turn away new members!

But for some reason the other forum wasn't happy that some of their members moved over to my site and they continue to troll my forums posting nasty stuff, and giving my site bad reviews on Alexa.

It is really getting out of hand...I have done nothing to cause problems with this other site, and the new people at my site have done nothing to badmouth the site they left..but this other site all of a sudden has decided they need to attack me.

Ban them for a start and if it gets real personal consult a lawyer.

Connie Berg- send me a private message. I had similar issues a while back. I don't want to get into detail in public, send me a private message and I'll give you the details.

Jason

Join the fight against <a href="http://www.xtremeshopping.org/parasiteware.html"target="_blank">Parasiteware<a>

freedom, it's not freedom till you build a business model where you can leave and the commissions will still be there. :0).

We ban them as we catch them, but no way to do anything about the Alexa Reviews...

ABW Ambassador
    How about having a member of your site write an Alexa review which says something to the effect that the bad reviews are just sour grapes from a competitor?

Kip,
    Someone already did that..
    As soon that showed up in the Alexa reviews, they just came back with a bunch more bad ones to make the explaination get pushed back a few pages.

Connie,

Write Alexa explain and have them verify the submissions.

SandraR

Thanks Sandra, just did that, hopefully they will take them off.

Oh, and thanks to you too Jason!

ABW Ambassador
    Connie,

Ignore it. It's a cost of doing business.

Businesses are primarily built on word of mouth. You grew your site on the shopper value it adds and it will continue to grow. Eventually the tactics that your competitor is using will come back and bite them in the butt.

I'd also have this entire thread deleted as you know your competitor who is the idiot is reading everything that is written.

Connie Berg

Alexa did removed the bogus/(completely unrelated) review to my site recently.

I guess may be within 2-3 weeks after the request.

http://8n.nu

so you're saying there's whole communities based around the topic of coupons? and that they have such strong loyalty to a site that mostly provides just coupons that they are having a flamewar on your forums and dragging each site through the mud in the process?

I can't help but smirk

One of the reasons I am hesitant to open a forum for my site, besides the administration time involved keeping people in line(deleting posts that break rules etc).

Time to post a big fat disclaimer above and below your forums and in the alt text of your forum links.. then take the high ground and make posts to the effect of making the flamers seem childish or feel ashamed. Ban the ones that don't get the message.

Actually the forums aren't just based on coupons. We have forums for coupons but also for stepparenting, weight loss, soap operas, parenting, recipes and a lot more.
    It helps keep the people coming back and helps form a sense of community.
    I love doing it, I have met and become very friendly with many of my visitors.
    And evidently this other site didn't like the idea of some of their members leaving and coming to my site instead.
    But I had nothing to do with them leaving, evidently the other site did something to piss these people off.
    I have or should say had nothing against this other site and can't understand why they can't just let their former members go and get on with their life!

your welcome Connie.

Join the fight against <a href="http://www.xtremeshopping.org/parasiteware.html"target="_blank">Parasiteware<a>

freedom, it's not freedom till you build a business model where you can leave and the commissions will still be there. :0).

ABW Ambassador
    Connie, you shouldn't worry too much about Alexa reviews. Very few people read them....
    The competition will always find ways to try to smear your site if it is more successful then theirs.... At the ned of the day, the superior website wins anyway.

Connie, I agree with Irma. Alexa isn't all what some people think it is. I used Alexa for a while and found that the stats are easily manipulated. IMO Alexa users don't represent the general population when it comes to website usage. Good luck!

"Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
    - Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

If it were me, I would call the other site owner and talk to them and clear things up. Not sure what kind of person runs the other site, but hopefully , they could put a stop to it on their end. Most of the people in this business are nice and will do what they can to help, and maybe they don't even know this is going on, or if they do, perhaps they will stop if you talk to them directly. How unprofessional.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I have to agree about the reviews thing. Your site speaks for itself, and nothing anyone could ever write on Alexa could deter from that. However, if you write Alexa, I am pretty sure they will delete inappropriate reviews.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

ABW Ambassador
    I hate to say it, but unless reviews have been removed from Alexa, they seem fairly legit... I assume your site is, in fact, mostly affiliate links, which makes their statements correct. It is unfortunate; however, that it seems as though someone has a personal grudge against you... i.e. the review that brings up ABW. I'm guessing reviews have already been removed. The positives far outweigh the negatives from what I saw

Die Parasites Die!!

Connie <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We have forums for coupons but also for stepparenting, weight loss, soap operas, parenting, recipes and a lot more.
    It helps keep the people coming back and helps form a sense of community.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can verify that. I was looking for a product that I couldn't find anywhere online, so I went to your boards and asked. Voila! Within 24 hours, someone found the item for me, I ordered it (there weren't any coupons or even an affiliate program for it) and the new parents had the gift within a week.

As for the other site, if you haven't talked to them personally, I would do so. There's nothing more annoying than having to deal with flame wars on your own board, especially when you have real work to do.

Well, how funny that the minute I post something here on ABW about my predicament that someone makes mention of ABW in a review..
    Like any of my visitors even know about ABW..

So I see my enemies from here are at work too...

And hey, I didn't know you guys were all starving unemployed webmasters like the review said...I thought you guys were pretty much good at this affiliate thing...

Contact the webmaster and let him know you are going to do the same thing with his forum if this doesn't stop.

It's a shame when "free speach" and "idiots online" mix ... look at some of our reviews

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Connie knows all the sleezeball couponers are right here lurking at ABW. Damn shame these wanks will target Me -Connie -Poon or anyone else who tries to upset their tricks for clicks games.She runs one coupon & shopping portal site while the competition run 100's of throwaway domains.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast